Thread: 40 year old v's a 21 year old =

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Cotto's brother was able to rock Canelo imagine what Mosley could do if he lands a good shot.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 40 year old v's a 21 year old =

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    So, they couldn't even get a live body, huh? This is a sad fight. Shane is 100% shot. Don't kid yourselves. It's Cintron all over again. They're coddling Canelo. How did Shane deserve this fight after his poor showing against Pacquiao? Do you remember booing that fight? That was at 147 and now Shane is older. Even if Shane isn't shot, which he is, he isn't a top ten junior middleweight like Alvarez and like Delvin.

Booo.
    Well technically this fight being at 154 will be more helpful for Shane than struggling to make 147.

Plus losing two wide UD's to unquestionably the two best fighters on the planet doesn't mean he's going to lose to everyone else. Few fighters have given more to boxing in terms of heart and commitment than Shane Mosley down the years.

I can't believe the hostility he gets just because he was no longer good enough to hang with the p4p number 1 & 2 fighters.

It's an interesting matchup.
    No one is doubting Shane's career, but he is shot, man. Just watch his last three performances. I understand losing to Floyd and Manny doesn't mean he will lose to everyone else, but that also doesn't mean he isn't shot. More importantly, there were MUCH better opponents at 154. MUCH. This will be the second shot fighter that Canelo has faced in a row.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael Woods, the boxing writer for the New York Post, said this about the Shane Mosley versus Canelo Alvarez fight: "Ideally, the bulk of our interest in a fight shouldn't stem from curiousity if boxer is shot or not." It's 100% on point.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael Woods, the boxing writer for the New York Post, said this about the Shane Mosley versus Canelo Alvarez fight: "Ideally, the bulk of our interest in a fight shouldn't stem from curiousity if boxer is shot or not." It's 100% on point.

I don't know. Shane did no worse against Floyd than J M Marquez did, and he did no worse against Manny than Cotto did.

Both of those guys are still considered top fighters, in fact Floyd is fighting Cotto next and many think Marquez beat Pacquiao last time out.

Canelo wasn't able to stop Matthew Hatton I think Mosley is an ideal opponent for him at this stage.

Remember the goal is to give Canelo a decent test, but for him to not lose. They aren't about to pair him with anyone they think will beat him just yet. As Shane was considered an elite fighter only a couple of years ago and on his best day would probably stomp all over the current version of Canelo I think this fight has plenty of interest.

I'm much more looking forward to this fight for Alvarez than I was his fights against Hatton, Rhodes, Gomez and Cintron and I expect most other people are too.

It's a step up for him and as an undercard fight pretty intriguing.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^ Agreed. If Mosley keeps going this is the only kind of matchup you could expect, I kind of like it. The idea that this is coddling Alvarez is quite laughable given who he has fought thus far, I think if Mosley is able to muster up any kind of a last ditch effort this will be a hell of a fight. Alvarez would've been roadkill for Shane Mosley in the day and he may well not have the composure to put Shane into a shell like Floyd and Manny were able to do. Mosley can still be very dangerous in spurts if you want to fight with him I reckon.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know. Shane did no worse against Floyd than J M Marquez did, and he did no worse against Manny than Cotto did.

Both of those guys are still considered top fighters, in fact Floyd is fighting Cotto next and many think Marquez beat Pacquiao last time out.

Canelo wasn't able to stop Matthew Hatton I think Mosley is an ideal opponent for him at this stage.

Remember the goal is to give Canelo a decent test, but for him to not lose. They aren't about to pair him with anyone they think will beat him just yet. As Shane was considered an elite fighter only a couple of years ago and on his best day would probably stomp all over the current version of Canelo I think this fight has plenty of interest.

I'm much more looking forward to this fight for Alvarez than I was his fights against Hatton, Rhodes, Gomez and Cintron and I expect most other people are too.

I heard a very funny line somewhere about this card. It went something like Floyd must have been required to do community service for senior citizens as part of his plea deal for beating his baby's momma and that is why Shane and Winky are on the card.

Anyway, you may be correct, perhaps I've been too harsh on this fight. Given Canelo's previous opposition, this is more of the same, but not any worse. It turned out Cintron was shot when he faced Canelo and I see the same thing happening here. Also, after Mosley's last two performances, I didn't want to see him on a major card again because I thought he stunk out the joint. Additionally, I would view a win over Delvin Rodriguez as a better win than one over this version of Shane and also better for Canelo's development, and he's not the only choice out there. I understand why they wouldn't want to put him in with James Kirkland. Fine. I wouldn't even hold it against Canelo. He's 21. I just think there are better choices out there from every perspective.

There's a chance that Shane is just more effective at 154 than he was at 147 at his age and he'll bring some pain to Canelo. I'll be rooting for Shane to win too.

Do you not remember Oscar trashing Shane before the Pacquiao fight? He was calling him shot and over the hill etc. Now Oscar goes and puts him in with his cash cow. It's just a reminder that promoters are promoters. One's no different from the rest.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I heard a very funny line somewhere about this card. It went something like Floyd must have been required to do community service for senior citizens as part of his plea deal for beating his baby's momma and that is why Shane and Winky are on the card.

Anyway, you may be correct, perhaps I've been too harsh on this fight. Given Canelo's previous opposition, this is more of the same, but not any worse. It turned out Cintron was shot when he faced Canelo and I see the same thing happening here. Also, after Mosley's last two performances, I didn't want to see him on a major card again because I thought he stunk out the joint. Additionally, I would view a win over Delvin Rodriguez as a better win than one over this version of Shane and also better for Canelo's development, and he's not the only choice out there. I understand why they wouldn't want to put him in with James Kirkland. Fine. I wouldn't even hold it against Canelo. He's 21. I just think there are better choices out there from every perspective.

There's a chance that Shane is just more effective at 154 than he was at 147 at his age and he'll bring some pain to Canelo. I'll be rooting for Shane to win too.

Do you not remember Oscar trashing Shane before the Pacquiao fight? He was calling him shot and over the hill etc. Now Oscar goes and puts him in with his cash cow. It's just a reminder that promoters are promoters. One's no different from the rest.
    It's totally different though. In the former fight Shane was fighting the then best p4p fighter in the entire world. Now he's facing a 21 year old belt holder whose only notable win is against Kermit Cintron and it's an undercard fight.

If they were hyping this as a main event fight on a HBO card then sure, but as a chief support it's pretty intriguing.

Also I highly doubt the casual fan would rather see Canelo fight Delvin Rodriguez. I also think it's a matter of conjecture as to whether that is a tougher fight.

Shane was once world elite, only a couple fights ago he was fighting at the very top level, now he's a decent gatekeeper test.

Remember this is a fight Canelo is supposed to win, nobody is saying this is a 50/50 fight and it's not being hyped as such. For me the main event is a bigger farce seeing how comprehensively Manny dismantled Cotto not that long ago.

Still it's a card I will definitely be watching.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What bothers me is that we let the idea of what we think deems one as "shot" dictate whether or not they should be in a fight.

Shot isn't something that should be completely judging a fight. A shot 43 year old Foreman would have knocked out any version of Tyson, and I firmly believe that.

The Old Joe Louis who is often discredited as an opponent of Rocky Marciano's was still good enough to be cleaning house with every top heavyweight except Ezzard Charles.

As a matter of fact, Holyfield is still a good fighter at nearly fifty. I was one of the few people that predicted a Holyfield win when he fought Valuev in 2008. You can ask any sensible person who saw the fight, it is generally accepted that Holyfield was robbed.

Maybe we need to think more so along the lines of the old motto, "Styles make fights."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mosley is a shot fighter but it's still a step up for Canelo and I would like to see how he performs.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Undercards don't sell ppvs. That's clear. The casual fan knows who Shane is and will like the fact he is on the card. We're not casual fans though. Listen, I hope I'm wrong, I sincerely do. I just see Shane going in survival mode once he feels a bit of Canelo's power and then putting on a snoozer for 12 rounds.

Shane also has a great record against Mexican fighters. Something like 36-1-1. Maybe styles do make fights and Shane would have problems with a fast southpaw in Manny and a fast boxer in PBF, but not have problems with Canelo.

My point regarding Oscar was that he is just a pure promoter and I don't buy any of his propoganda any more than I do other promoters. He put down Shane because Shane left GB to secure a Pacquiao fight. He disparaged Shane, not as a bad opponent for Manny, but as a shot, old fighter. Now he's putting him in against someone he promoters, and there's no problem. It's hypocritical was my point.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    I think Mosley is a shot fighter but it's still a step up for Canelo and I would like to see how he performs.
    This appears to be the consensus, Bilbo's point, and I see it. Fair play. I would prefer to have seen him in against a top ten competitor (Mosley's not even ranked at junior middleweight or welterweight any longer), but I understand why they're doing the fight.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    This appears to be the consensus, Bilbo's point, and I see it. Fair play. I would prefer to have seen him in against a top ten competitor (Mosley's not even ranked at junior middleweight or welterweight any longer), but I understand why they're doing the fight.
    He's still 21 and I don't see a need for him to be rushed into real dangerous fights, even though he's world champion he has alot of work to do.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane could easily use his experience and go into spoiler mode to survive.
    Be good experience; round building while being frustrated for the puppy whipper snapper.

Go Shane,surprise us!

Whoops I nearly forgot this is Otleys thread.

Giggety Giggety.
    Last edited by Andre; 02-16-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

definitely agree with that.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

(Mosley's not even ranked at junior middleweight or welterweight any longer)
    He'll still #10 in the Ring's WW rankings, not that that's worth much, given who might fill out the top 20 (and given that this fight will be at 154).

Thread Information