Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hector Camacho

I use to idolise Hector Macho Man Camacho even had the pony tail when I was a teenager. He was a quality southpaw boxer who was arrogant at times. He beat some good fighters and remembered he lost his first fight just because he did not shake hands at the start of the last round and was deducted a point which eventually cost him that fight. He won the rematch but that is where he peaked and really was not going to beat the top level fighters.

The only time I did not support him was against Chavez, who pulverised him and have to admit he took a fearful beating but managed to survive. He did it again years later against Tito and ODH.

What are your memories of the man?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hector Camacho

Have not seen one of his fights for a while, but what i remember about Macho is his ring entrances were far more exciting than his fights .

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by roberto duran legend View Post
    Have not seen one of his fights for a while, but what i remember about Macho is his ring entrances were far more exciting than his fights .
    LOL that is true, at the end he did go the distance quite a lot but he did have a lot of skills and fought dangerous fighters. Rosario springs to mind, he was a brutal puncher.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was never a fan of Camacho's. He swaggered too much and lost his few big fights. What I do remember, however, was watching a video of one of his earlier fights. I could hardly believe the hand speed Camacho had at that time. He had loads of talent, to be sure. But he shot his mouth off so many times, and many times failed to back it up.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never liked him and, after the Rosario fight, thought him a coward. He changed my mind and earned my respect when he stayed in with Chavez and didn't quit.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I use to idolise Hector Macho Man Camacho even had the pony tail when I was a teenager. He was a quality southpaw boxer who was arrogant at times. He beat some good fighters and remembered he lost his first fight just because he did not shake hands at the start of the last round and was deducted a point which eventually cost him that fight. He won the rematch but that is where he peaked and really was not going to beat the top level fighters.

The only time I did not support him was against Chavez, who pulverised him and have to admit he took a fearful beating but managed to survive. He did it again years later against Tito and ODH.

What are your memories of the man?
    I started a thread about Camcho a year or so ago, and the reception was quite warm for him.

Many thought he was a sure hall of famer and tremendous boxer.

He def schooled Vinny Paz, Tony Baltazar and a ton of others.

Aside from losing to Haugen, Camacho only really lost to legends.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

COULD HAVE been one of the best technicians of his time, but his laziness and bad life style fucked that up quickly, he had great foot movement, defense, hand speed, and knew how to put combinations together, his lack of dedication led him to only scoring a decent career when the fucker had all the potential to have had a great career

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pre-Rosario Camacho was one hell of a boxer, straight the fuck up.. Man was underrated..

He gets judged too much off the post-Rosario bouts and i always thought that was unfair..

Camacho is one of my favorite Rican fighters of all time and it sure aint abnornal to list him at

top 5 Rican fighters of all time....

Rosario's punch scared the shit out of him and changed his mental makeup as a fighter but he was a god damm good fighter before that...

Macho!!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Pre-Rosario Camacho was one hell of a boxer, straight the fuck up.. Man was underrated..

He gets judged too much off the post-Rosario bouts and i always thought that was unfair..

Camacho is one of my favorite Rican fighters of all time and it sure aint abnornal to list him at

top 5 Rican fighters of all time....

Rosario's punch scared the shit out of him and changed his mental makeup as a fighter but he was a god damm good fighter before that...

Macho!!!
    I agree, the fight where he finally shook off the effects of the Rosario fight abit was in his losing effort against Chavez, but that's not the only thing that held him back a bit, it's well known that even when in his prime that he was known for being lazy out of the ring, for getting into trouble, and to "party" way too much with alcohol and cocaine, so you mix that up and well it's fair to say that Camacho himself held himself back from what he could have been

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry Hulk, you did I remember now. He was a very good fighter and showed a lot of heart, guile and experience of beating easily some good fighters and never being stopped.

He was that cocky that Pryor wanted to fight him and another dangerous quality black fighter (whose name I have forgot) and he used the racist N word to say that he could taken them on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Camacho was actually very good against Rosario, sure he got nailed, but Rosario failed to knock him down. Camacho had a great chin, Chavez, Trinidad and DLH couldn't stop him. Oscar almost did it, but also failed to finish him off. Camacho V Whitaker would've been something to see! Not sure why that didn't happen, i know they always talked about it.
    Camacho reminds me of a team that won the Championship, but struggled in the premier League. (The QPR of Boxing?)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    Camacho was actually very good against Rosario, sure he got nailed, but Rosario failed to knock him down. Camacho had a great chin, Chavez, Trinidad and DLH couldn't stop him. Oscar almost did it, but also failed to finish him off. Camacho V Whitaker would've been something to see! Not sure why that didn't happen, i know they always talked about it.
    Camacho reminds me of a team that won the Championship, but struggled in the premier League. (The QPR of Boxing?)
    not only did they never stop him, NONE EVER DROPPED HIM, Camacho has never hit the canvas, like you said Oscar almost dropped him but then Camacho tackled him

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He managed to do what alot cannot and that's to surpass the ring and make himself pretty much a house hold name, at times a catch phrase. A great entertainer but late on he was living on that alone. Rewatched the Solis and Mancini fights a couple of weeks ago. Nice little scrap the Solis go. I actually had the Mancini fight razor thin. Camacho for me was loath or love at certain points. His go with Baltazar sticks, he really was sharp. He talked so much shit before Chavez and came up limp. The Haugen fights were not bad at all, nice little rivalry. I thought Greg took it by a couple and Haugen literally suckered him into punching just a bit cheaply with ref trying to have a meeting at the United Nations moment. Hate the Leonard "fight". Nothing to be proud of in beating down a ghost of a ghost of a great.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    He managed to do what alot cannot and that's to surpass the ring and make himself pretty much a house hold name, at times a catch phrase. A great entertainer but late on he was living on that alone. Rewatched the Solis and Mancini fights a couple of weeks ago. Nice little scrap the Solis go. I actually had the Mancini fight razor thin. Camacho for me was loath or love at certain points. His go with Baltazar sticks, he really was sharp. He talked so much shit before Chavez and came up limp. The Haugen fights were not bad at all, nice little rivalry. I thought Greg took it by a couple and Haugen literally suckered him into punching just a bit cheaply with ref trying to have a meeting at the United Nations moment. Hate the Leonard "fight". Nothing to be proud of in beating down a ghost of a ghost of a great.
    Good summary. The Leonard fight was pathetic, amazing to see how shot Ray was all of a sudden. I mean he was SHOT.

Funny thing is that Camacho fought Sugar Ray Leonard and Oscar De La Hoya in the same year !!!
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Good summary. The Leonard fight was pathetic, amazing to see how shot Ray was all of a sudden. I mean he was SHOT.

Funny thing is that Camacho fought Sugar Ray Leonard and Oscar De La Hoya in the same year !!!
    The beating Hector Camacho gave to Leonard was fantastic, best thing he did for a long time.

Thread Information