Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Looks like Brandon Rios vs Richard Abril April 14th

For the vacant WBA trinket that Rios already gave up on the scales because making 135 didn't mean enough to him. You had to see this coming after the Rios-Gamboa debacle of a press conference for a fight that when scrutinized seemed iffy in the first place. It seemed just a bit staged as Abril comes on and slaps Rios and every one gets puffed up yelling his name. Abril has some close loses and is off a win over Miquel Acosta. It may turn out to be one of the better shots he gets in on Rios because his chances to move and out box Rios will be slim and none. I doubt Rios makes the weight and hope he moves up to 140 right away.
    Brandon Rios, Juan Manuel Marquez to share April 14 PPV - Oakland Boxing | Examiner.com

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Looks like Brandon Rios vs Richard Abril April 14th

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    For the vacant WBA trinket that Rios already gave up on the scales because making 135 didn't mean enough to him. You had to see this coming after the Rios-Gamboa debacle of a press conference for a fight that when scrutinized seemed iffy in the first place. It seemed just a bit staged as Abril comes on and slaps Rios and every one gets puffed up yelling his name. Abril has some close loses and is off a win over Miquel Acosta. It may turn out to be one of the better shots he gets in on Rios because his chances to move and out box Rios will be slim and none. I doubt Rios makes the weight and hope he moves up to 140 right away.
    Brandon Rios, Juan Manuel Marquez to share April 14 PPV - Oakland Boxing | Examiner.com
    I saw that Spicoli, did you notice this was a PPV? Sorry but Rios ain't big enough to be getting PPVs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I saw that Spicoli, did you notice this was a PPV? Sorry but Rios ain't big enough to be getting PPVs.
    Wow, yeah, that's ridiculous. Rios-Gamboa could have been PPV. Rios-Marquez could be PPV. But Rios against a guy that most people have never heard of? No.

I don't understand their strategy in fighting at 135 if it's not against Gamboa. Even if he's just taking a stay-busy fight for now, it should be at jr. welter. And it should be on Boxing After Dark.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Wow, yeah, that's ridiculous. Rios-Gamboa could have been PPV. Rios-Marquez could be PPV. But Rios against a guy that most people have never heard of? No.

I don't understand their strategy in fighting at 135 if it's not against Gamboa. Even if he's just taking a stay-busy fight for now, it should be at jr. welter. And it should be on Boxing After Dark.
    I don't know where they believe the PPV buys are going to come from, and I really doubt that Rios is all that well known except for us hardcore fans, and it's not like he's all that popular.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh it's a bit unclear how it will air...Rios on reg HBO and then shift to venue in Mexico for PPV Marquez? Seems a bit patch work and honestly both are not PPV worthy matches on paper.

Have to agree on Rios going in at 135 for what seems like a soft showcase type go to just grab a trinket. He said prior it had to be worth it, big name etc to meltdown but resisting the obvious in body could sneak up on him on future. You get a 135 strap so are to assume he'll remain there, waiting for Gamboa again

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it should be a good scrap, Abril can fight! Rios may struggle to make 135.
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh it's a bit unclear how it will air...Rios on reg HBO and then shift to venue in Mexico for PPV Marquez? Seems a bit patch work and honestly both are not PPV worthy matches on paper.

Have to agree on Rios going in at 135 for what seems like a soft showcase type go to just grab a trinket. He said prior it had to be worth it, big name etc to meltdown but resisting the obvious in body could sneak up on him on future. You get a 135 strap so are to assume he'll remain there, waiting for Gamboa again
    I thought both the Rios fight and JMM were both on PPV, that's the way it's listed. It would be nice if the Rios fight wasn't a PPV, because chances are, if it is, i'm not going to bother finding a stream for either fight.

Thread Information