Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The sad case of Antwun Echols

Antwun Echols - Boxer

He is currently 32-17, outside of stopping a 0-8 fighter in the 6th round in 2010, Echols hasn't won a fight in nearly 7 years.

He's been knocked out in his last 4 straight fights.

Antwun Echols used to be a top middleweight contender and one of the most dangerous punchers around.

His fights with Bernard Hopkins and his shootout with Charles Brewer were awesome.

I wish there was something boxing fans could do for guys like Echols. Yeah yeah I know its all his own fault and he did to himself and all that sure, but a warrior like Echols deserved better than this...
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The sad case of Antwun Echols

That is pretty awful. It happens too often in the fight game.

The super elite really seldom have to go through any of this. But they are such a small total of all boxers.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    That is pretty awful. It happens too often in the fight game.

The super elite really seldom have to go through any of this. But they are such a small total of all boxers.
    Very true Miles. Seems not many care either...

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Iran Barclay carrying on boxing was sadder.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing has to be one of the cruelest sports on those athletes who don't make it to the very top. I remember reading a shocking statistic about how many NFL players end up destitute, I would imagine that boxing is even worse.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read somewhere that he has a shit load of kids(over 10) and is fighting to pay back child support.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guys like Echols and Vivian Harris are on the road to ruins, hanging onto a couple of past matches of note and respectfully, too dumb with pride and dependent on a short check to listen to the torn body and the old man staring back in the mirror.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 03-25-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sweet jesus, what a downward spiral. I think at this point the omus is on the athletic commisions to do their jobs and stop licensing him. When you have a fighter who is 40 and hasn't won a REAL fight in 8 years, you have to do the right thing and protect that guy against himself.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was so hoping he was going to beat Anything Mundane out here in Australia that time.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, this is a really sad case. Its hits home for me. Antwun is an associate and I know he wouldn't like to hear this but he just can't fight anymore. Even his power is mediocre now. The one guy he beat is his best friend who is actually a 5'6" blown up lightweight. The guy's name is Freddie and at one point I was going to help him train at his gym. I just can't do that to people. Last time I talked to Antwun he said his string of losses is because he took the fights on short notice. I shook my head. This isn't golf. When a golfer is done he may get embarassed in a lost or injury a knee from wear and tear miles. When a fighter is done he can be killed. Antwun does have a lot of children and he has a horrible gambling problem, once spending his entire Hopkins fight check beforing making it home, but he just doesn't know anything else. And I'm pretty sure Antwun is going to continue fighting and his next fight will be in Davenport around June. The only good thing is they are trying to find him a bum so he can show out for the hometown. I think this may have an adverse effect and give Antwun confidence that will trick him into believing he still has something world class worthy. Anyway, on that June card there should be 2 guys coming up worth taking a look at if anybody likes to keep track of future prospects. One is my little cousin Lance Williams a lightweight and Donovan Dennis a heavyweight. I'm not one who pumps people up. These guys are legitimate. If Donovan puts on a bit of size he will be a prospect to watch. And if Lance keeps his focus on boxing he will too.
    Last edited by blegit; 03-26-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Boxing has to be one of the cruelest sports on those athletes who don't make it to the very top. I remember reading a shocking statistic about how many NFL players end up destitute, I would imagine that boxing is even worse.
    Most NFL players make way more than most boxers though, I believe when you have a lot of money and short period in your life when you can earn it, that's the problem with NFL players going broke. The average NFL player earns money (as an athlete) for 9 years (3.5 for players that don't make the first squad roster) when you consider most people live to about 82-84 that's a lot of years you are paying for with a lifestyle that tends to be overextending. With most boxers (not including the De La Hoyas, Holyfields, Mayweathers, Tysons, and Pacquiaos of the game) they don't have the means to overspend the same way on average.

Now this isn't to say that boxers aren't less responsible, they just don't have the same means to get into problems as NFL players on average.

Getting back to Hulk's original point this would be a great point for PROMOTERS or better yet MANAGERS to create a sort of trust for boxers using a portion of their take from a fight as a sort of small pension, while it wouldn't be much in most cases, in instances like Echols he could have a small income stream to keep him going for all his efforts in the ring. Boxers could also do this for themselves, but let's be honest, most don't know any better and someone should be looking out for them.

I also strongly agree that there should be a single boxing commission that can limit or eliminate a fighters ability to be sanctioned.
    Last edited by killersheep; 03-26-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by blegit View Post
    Yeah, this is a really sad case. Its hits home for me. Antwun is an associate and I know he wouldn't like to hear this but he just can't fight anymore. Even his power is mediocre now. The one guy he beat is his best friend who is actually a 5'6" blown up lightweight. The guy's name is Freddie and at one point I was going to help him train at his gym. I just can't do that to people. Last time I talked to Antwun he said his string of losses is because he took the fights on short notice. I shook my head. This isn't golf. When a golfer is done he may get embarassed in a lost or injury a knee from wear and tear miles. When a fighter is done he can be killed. Antwun does have a lot of children and he has a horrible gambling problem, once spending his entire Hopkins fight check beforing making it home, but he just doesn't know anything else. And I'm pretty sure Antwun is going to continue fighting and his next fight will be in Davenport around June. The only good thing is they are trying to find him a bum so he can show out for the hometown. I think this may have an adverse effect and give Antwun confidence that will trick him into believing he still has something world class worthy. Anyway, on that June card there should be 2 guys coming up worth taking a look at if anybody likes to keep track of future prospects. One is my little cousin Lance Williams a lightweight and Donovan Dennis a heavyweight. I'm not one who pumps people up. These guys are legitimate. If Donovan puts on a bit of size he will be a prospect to watch. And if Lance keeps his focus on boxing he will too.
    Damn I wish there was something you or we could do for the guy to convince him to STOP before he gets seriously injured.

Sounds like he def needs help for his gambling addiction.

Thread Information