Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default slipping outside with step?

Can someone please tell me From an orthodox stance when slipping to the outside of a left jab with a step is it my left or right foot that should move first..?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: slipping outside with step?

The push comes of the left Foot which directs the right Foot. Making sure the Feet dont become wider in the process, unless changing levels[ sitting] then you can.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I typed something just before then deleted it because for some reason I was thinking about an orthodox facing a southpaw slipping under his right.
    Which has made me think of something else, but Ill save it and bring it up in a different post cause it'll get too confusing.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Confused dont believe it
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This just led me off into thinking about the different steps, widths of steps used between Mma and boxing and probably why each style doesn't cross over into the other as easily as some imagine they could. I think distance and intent is more emphasized when crossing over so they can be either very detrimental or very beneficial.

(Which makes you think it will become a study in itself.)

I was thinking a boxer using 'minimalist in balance footwork' could come a real gutser against a kicker or knee fighter who used larger open up the hips styled angled footwork.

Of course it all works the other way around too; try using the larger open up the hips style in front of a pro boxer whos in arm range and they are going to deck you through your off balance center line much easier.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes we get to see in MMA if you fight with your feet or knees and elbows you can at times get away with opening your front foot up and going heel to toe which opens your hips and direction to catch them with a rear kick or knee, all depending on how over committed they are and which direction they are headed ,so then you catch them on their pathway;

That would be a big mistake not to correct the rear foot or just lead out with the front only when boxing.

Even in Mma unless you change the direction of attack after slipping like that and meet them where they are heading for with your rear leg or arm you'll get caught out in a wide stance,off balance, facing the wrong way as well.

Another rare way we sometimes see is to pull your rear foot right around behind and out on an angle, adjusting your front foot last and attack them with your front leg controlling them with your front arm but thats rare and best done off a standing grappling fight for balance and control.

Those more rare angles you see used at times can only be pulled off when you are setting them up off their over commitment.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It depends what you are trying to do. There are a lot of moves that involve slipping or parrying outside a left jab and stepping across his lead foot with your left foot; you can hit the body with the left hand from here, or simply step past him, then pivot around behind him. A short step like this, with the left foot, will put you in a position to follow his left hand home with a right.
    And, of course, you don't need to step at all. Drop your weight onto a flat right foot to slip the jab, which is the same motion as throwing a left hook to either the solar plexus or the chin. A very short punch but very possible to get a lot behind it.
    Personally, I favor a small movement to the right with the left foot because it keeps you in range, better, I think, than stepping to the right with the right foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks good info will practice both ways.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cocobeware View Post
    Can someone please tell me From an orthodox stance when slipping to the outside of a left jab with a step is it my left or right foot that should move first..?

Depending on the others commitment (If they are a straight stepper ,reacher or leaner) and you're light on your feet and he is very tired or a bit of a plodder, you can sort of give yourself space as he comes and step around it in little increments and keep control of his left arm around his elbow point as you do it. Give yourself space by retreating with the left foot ever so slightly and going out slightly right as you control their arm with your right glove, then correcting your stance to their new position you get power as they react, cause you have already gone a touch square and take their arm across with your right glove while you step out and as he steps down and adjusts you can attack with your own left hand low, as their left arm goes over your left shoulder. If you can adjust your feet a double left hook will go either side of their left arm, under then over the top of it, the second hook will go above it as it reacts to your first low body punch.
    (Ohh imagine if you could trade that first low hook for a left knee instead )

Theres alot to be played with different distances and different reaches and strikes to suit the distances. Even bodily sticking close and smothering their next movement can work well when you are outside of their left arm and in control of their balance right when they react.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have to forgive me cause I keep thinking of weird stuff that works in only some cases not others and we have got a few mma and other fighters in here too.

You can also get to the outside of an arm once its thrown or if they are holding out like a feeler or going for a grab,and better if you are in a scuffle and fighting for balance right arm against their left or your left against their right arm only: By contacting the inside portion of their arm on the outside blade of your forearm, then when they push and react against it you fold your wrist back and replace your forearm with your elbow as you turn bodily and you have flowed and gone with his force that is against your original force and with footwork you have gone from the inside of his guard to the outside of his guard and you can move in too and run your elbow up the outside of his arm into his face or into his rib depending on if his reaction is high or low leaning or other.

If you can secure his wrist with your other hand and do it back step slightly and his arm will twist and lock out with your elbow cracking the outside of his with his arm locked out and you will take him down the way he first reacted then take his head with your same elbow on the way in.
    Last edited by Andre; 04-12-2012 at 04:01 AM.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whatever direction you are moving, that foot is the one you want to move first.

It isn't entirely clear what you are trying to do... but this is something I often do to slip and counter a jab.

I slip outside, while simultaneously taking a small step forward and to the outside with my front foot, and throwing a counter jab to the opponent's stomach. This really catches a lot of people off guard, and it's easy to follow up with a cross or hook.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@BTF

Whats BTF stand for? Be There First?

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to say i agree with both scrap and grey on this one, i prefer to step with just the right foot a little and bend knees to sit down to counter with a quality 2 3, brutal. or take both feet with me for the slip but i find its hard to make this counter as quick as the first option, but balance is better for movement however the base isnt there to break through the guard and shoulder the same, it seems better to sit down to hammer the 2, 3 home past the shoulder and guard. you must do one of these two options in terms of footwork to maintain good posture for a big shot thats for sure.

Now as for the angles i just find like grey says the angles are all wrong, we want the back foot closer to the targets, i prefer to slip inside the jab moving forward or back loading the left first, or like scrap said moving with the right foot only and sitting down, also i like stepping with the left first to the right to put weight on the front then pivot out, gives a better angle specially for the straight right, sometimes it seems easier to pivot this way using the heel rather than toe if your to keep good posture.

Another variation very simple but wicked, like scrap says, slipping outside taking both feet, but move the right foot forward more than the left to almost line up the rear with what was your lead foot, now your feet are in the right position to through a big right, all you have to do is twist your torso and turn heels anti clockwise to face ur man with the new angle, the step (both feet) winds up the right but the angle favours the left hook that comes after it. the movement your doing is sort of how you would weave under a left hook but taking both feet with you as you do and moving more laterally than back while squaring the stance to where you was just facing.

Its sort of a hybrid step i started messing with after learning of a step refered to as the drop-step, like a side step but moving the rear foot to the side and forwards past the lead foot to then southpaw stance while bending knees to avoid punches during the step, i used to like throwing big off of this step or using it to get out of corners but to be honest it really limits mobility way too much thats why i thought of this variation after learning better.

good thread guys, love ones like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch some Mike Tyson videos like on You Tube..'Mike Tyson Defense' is one that comes to mind. He would slip outside.

Thread Information