Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
Ricky could be rated higher than Joe Galzaghe, because he did not wait too long with Warren, who would have been happy for Ricky to defend his IBO title against journeyman fighters and make shed loads of money. There is no Sven Ottke in Ricky’s closet, Witter does not count and Cotto moved up in weight to allow the fight from coming off. Ricky took risks going up to welterweight and Joe did not until very late in his career. If Ricky manoeuvred his career more cautiously he could have retired undefeated too

I don't agree with a single thing you said there aside from the fact that Hatton jumped ship with Warren, which is indeed to his credit. Hatton was very good, but nowhere near as good as Calzaghe, nor did he achieve as much even despite much better management. You could easily assume that if Calzaghe had Hatton's marketability(why he didn't is beyond me), he would have also retired with a much higher profile in America. For Hatton to have retired undefeated he would've clearly had to avoid Mayweather and Pacquiao. Had he not fought those two men, even despite losing so badly, his legacy would pale even moreso in comparison with Calzaghes. It would have been no different than had Calzaghe not fought Kessler and Hopkins. Instead, the difference is that Joe won those fights
And to say that there is no Sven Ottke in Ricky's closet, and that Witter doesn't count is purely ludicrous. Witter was MUCH more of a threat to Hatton and a much more lucrative fight than Ottke to Calzaghe, obviously. That would have been easy as hell to make in the UK and Hatton could have taken almost the whole purse.
Apparently Warren had quite a lot of profile raising offers which he presented to Calzaghe, but Calzaghe didn't want them. I think in his book, Joe said that it either never interested him or he didn't have the confidence to go through with stuff like that.
Ricky Hatton beat a great champion in Kostya on a great night for British boxing. Joe beat Eubanks at short notice and then fought poor fighters for 10 years. Ricky unified some of the titles where possible including a weight up, Joe fought his mandatory’s and Ottke’s left overs never really taking a chance until the end of his career.

Ricky did not have to fight Floyd at welterweight, especially after struggling at the weight but he took the chance. Joe was very good but Ricky should not be punished for taking on the best and coming short. Would you want to see Ricky v Floyd or Pac Man than Witter? No chance.

Joe would have beaten Ottke but did not take the chance, Joe may have lost to Roy Jones at light heavy but never took the opportunity.
Calzaghe was more protected and dodged the big fights, instead waiting for those guys to get past their primes (especially jones - that fight was 100% meaningless). I also thought Hopkins won their fight.

But I don't know how you can possibly deny that Calzaghe was just the more talented fighter, both technically and in terms of raw athleticism. Difference in class.