Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should you twist your back foot when throwing a right cross?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How much should you twist your back foot when throwing a right cross?

I know that when I throw a right cross, I want to push off with my back leg. But how much should my back foot twist? In this video, is this guy's foot twisting a bit too far?

I would've thought that the foot should twist just enough to be pointing straight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How much should you twist your back foot when throwing a right cross?

Then again it could be the angle in which he's filmed making it appear that he's over-twisting...

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How much should you twist your back foot when throwing a right cross?

He's not "over-twisting" and I don't believe that you can. You have to twist that foot enough to turn your hip through the center line of your body, because your hip turns your shoulders and your shoulders drive the arm.
    And the closer your back foot starts to being straight, that is, pointed straight at your opponent, the better off you are.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Turn the Front Foot too.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about the lower bag? I mean it is always bad to bend it, but I think i see that here there is lag between the leg and shoulders turn. So from my point of view, he is simulating the turn in the hips, but his lower back is loose and does not translate the force from the legs up and at the end he throws the hand with no weight behind it...

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nikola_ganchev View Post
    What about the lower bag? I mean it is always bad to bend it, but I think i see that here there is lag between the leg and shoulders turn. So from my point of view, he is simulating the turn in the hips, but his lower back is loose and does not translate the force from the legs up and at the end he throws the hand with no weight behind it...
    True.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    He's not "over-twisting" and I don't believe that you can. You have to twist that foot enough to turn your hip through the center line of your body, because your hip turns your shoulders and your shoulders drive the arm.
    And the closer your back foot starts to being straight, that is, pointed straight at your opponent, the better off you are.
    What I meant was twisting the back foot so that it was pointed inward instead of straight at the opponent.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Castleberry View Post
    What I meant was twisting the back foot so that it was pointed inward instead of straight at the opponent.
    Yes, I know. Twist it inward. If you only twist until it is pointed at your opponent you aren't turning your hip all the way through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't say that he is overtwisting, but how much you twist is often limited by the circumstances.

Often in a fight you don't have the time or balance to twist that much.

What he is demonstrating is more of textbook, clean-environment, technique. The reality is most people in actual action don't quiet twist that much.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How much you turn into a punch should not be limited by circumstances, unless somebody is standing on your foot. You should train to adjust to circumstances- the foremost being distance- that would affect you getting turned on a punch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you throw the cross, just focus on kicking off with the back leg instead of how much your foot is twisting. If you concentrate more on letting the power come from your back leg, you'll find that the foot will twist on its on better without you having to worry about it.

When I jab, if I push with my front leg, my hip twists on its own without me having to really try to rotate it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    When you throw the cross, just focus on kicking off with the back leg instead of how much your foot is twisting. If you concentrate more on letting the power come from your back leg, you'll find that the foot will twist on its on better without you having to worry about it.

When I jab, if I push with my front leg, my hip twists on its own without me having to really try to rotate it.
    When you jab you should be pushing off your back foot, and hip rotation should be minimal. if you are up on that front foot when jabbing you are begging to be nailed with a right hand.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Something must be turning, the Hip certainly cannot. Fact.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post

When you jab you should be pushing off your back foot, and hip rotation should be minimal. if you are up on that front foot when jabbing you are begging to be nailed with a right hand.
    I didn't say I had the majority of my weight or I was leaning on my front foot, I just push with my front leg when I jab.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was just thinking how much emphasis is put on to turning the leg, but in the same time no one speaks about the back. I mean if the lower back is not locked whats the point on turning the leg? What i mean is if the lower back is loose we will turn the hips, but this wont translate into turning the torso and at the end we will punch only by pulling with the back muscles or even worse only pushing. See for example how Joe Louis has always perfect position of his back and how fast and easy he moves. Than it comes the question of being loose in order to spare energy. There are different types of muscles and they love it different The erectors in the back don't love to move, they love to be under isometrical load. Here i have an other question. If we stay erect we can be loose in the lower back and still be in balance, but what about the slips or when we are in small crouch or the legs are not direct under us? For me if the back is loose we will never engage the hips and the hams so it will once again result in slow movement coming only from the back. There will be leaning and no balance.

Thread Information