Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comics/Graphic Novels

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Comics/Graphic Novels

Now I never really got in to reading comics or Graphic Novels much, but I wanted to create this thread because I know some of you guys read them and are really in to the whole scene. I've always been a fan of super heroes and that sort of thing, but I never really had much exposure to the comic books.

So I guess tell me what you've read, what you're reading, what you like, and if you feel myself or another poster would like a series or what have you please feel free to offer up suggestions.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Comics/Graphic Novels

@CutMeMick get your ass in here, you're a comic book guy right?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not really into comic books. Just books proper for me. I have no need for illustrations when I have an overactive mind. Plus you can get a lot more words on the page with books.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a fookin idiot. I discovered last year while packing some things that the small storage shed I "gave up" still has comic collection in there. I grabbed everything night before, yearbooks, old D&D minatures (piss off ) but left over 400 oldies in there. Complete Sgt. Rock, shit load of Marvel etc. Managed to keep the Star wars mini mags. Man, the shit we hang onto

Love the old 'Heavy Metal' mags. Have about 80 from near 70's.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I'm not really into comic books. Just books proper for me. I have no need for illustrations when I have an overactive mind. Plus you can get a lot more words on the page with books.
    Well thanks for taking the time to comment

This post was something we have yet to cover and I think it would be interesting to go over. I am not familiar with the whole genre, but I'm open minded therefore I was hoping someone would sort of take the thread over and run with it, but apparently not.

Spicoli, what got you into comics? What were your favorites?

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lyle when it comes to starting threads and forum posts you are a megalomaniac. Who starts a post in a subject they are not interested in?

Sandman,2000 A.D that is all.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Lyle when it comes to starting threads and forum posts you are a megalomaniac. Who starts a post in a subject they are not interested in?

Sandman,2000 A.D that is all.
    I never said I wasn't interested I merely never had the opportunity to really dive into comics and enjoy them. My friends never really got into them either, so it was always something I was curious about, I just never got an opportunity to scratch that itch.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was a kid I had soccer ones from England cant remember the name of them though being about 35 years ago.

I used to buy Tracks for Captain goodvibes, that is all.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HAha shit hot.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

El Kabong Guest

Andre that's insane boardering on Canadian....the drawings hurt my eyes and the text hurts my brain.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have collected Marvel comics since I was 13 and still have all my collection. Spicoli, sorry to hear about your loss. I have some really old Marvel comics and some collector item editions.

Big Hulk fan but love them all from Iron Man, Thor, Fantastic Four and Spiderman.

I am now into Ultimates, which is Marvel characters for adults. They are more violent, real and more sex in them. Love it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is an interesting medium. Since Art Spiegelman's MAUS there seems to be a real acceptance of them as valid works of literature. You can't really ignore them anymore because since Sin City and Watchmen it is not just comics being adapted for the screen. V for Vendetta and The Walking Dead are very highly regarded.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mad Magazine is folding . Now regardless of politics man this was a staple growing up in the 70's and 80's, a masterpiece in broadside pop culture and political satire and great illustrations. I carried the 'Snappy comeback' paper backs by Al Jaffe with me like a pocket bible . Had two huge plastic bins of Cracked and Mad before I lost one of the storage units but great memories flipping through those.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alan Moore is retiring. Bit of a giant in so many ways

One of the most significant fiction writers in English is retiring, to the greatest fanfare of his singular and titanically influential career. Alan Moore has promised that the (extremely late) final issue of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be his last comic, and his final contribution to an art form he utterly transformed, sometimes to his chagrin. His work in the 1980s on Miracleman, a deconstruction of the superhero myth, inspired so many imitators to darken formerly kid-friendly heroes that Moore has apologised more than once for it. A brainy pop writer whose style veers between Stephen King and John le Carré, Moore’s influence can be felt everywhere – in our literature, on our screens, in our politics. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, quoted Watchmen’s Rorschach on Twitter, in response to reports that she was agitating the Democrats. (“I’m not locked up in here with YOU. You’re locked up in here with ME.”) Writers as diverse as China Miéville and Ta-Nehisi Coates have cited him as inspiration. HBO’s great post-Game of Thrones hope is yet another adaptation of Moore’s most popular book, Watchmen, which (co-authored with illustrator Dave Gibbons) has sold millions of copies since it was first published in 1987. He’s played himself on The Simpsons, seen his work adapted into a number of films – none very good – and even inspired an activist collective: the Anonymous group wear Guy Fawkes masks as a tribute to V, the anarchist hero of Moore’s and illustrator David Lloyd’s V for Vendetta......

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...9o8cFuXzBsLqOA
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Well thanks for taking the time to comment

This post was something we have yet to cover and I think it would be interesting to go over. I am not familiar with the whole genre, but I'm open minded therefore I was hoping someone would sort of take the thread over and run with it, but apparently not.

Spicoli, what got you into comics? What were your favorites?
    Can't say specifically in Elementary school I was a bit of a dork. I remember glimpsing 'Heavy Metal' and Fangoria thanks to sisters and started dropping by this tiny used book store on the way home from school. Wasn't really a super hero type fan until later it was mainly buying up all the World At War, Strange tales, Dragon, Mad , Sgt. Rock by the box load . Did all that role playing game thing too.

Thread Information