Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shadowboxing with eyes closed

This idea is totally separate to sparring with eyes closed.

But I think its an amazing thing to do if you are in contact and are fighting with arm contact.

If I was training Mma, wrestlers or Judo they would doing routines like this, so they could build up feeling in their limbs to read intuitively the opponents balance and when there is an opening or a break to strike through.

Also for practice flowing with the opponents force then bursting free and attacking them in the opening they automatically leave.

This would have to be built up in a few set stages, the first ones being basic set patterns, as to build on the contact reflexes before allowing them to go free style with blindfolds on starting in contact over a few varying distances one armed and also in close with both forearms touching.

Having forearm contact in boxing isnt impossible and frequently occurs in close situations on one side or another; or sometimes both sides when each of the fighters are very tired and things slow down into the odd grapple and hug; so its not out of the question to be trained in it, so that you have some working answers for some untrained for situations that arise.
    Last edited by Andre; 07-29-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi "God.in.my.corner,"
    Shadowboxing with eyes closed is an excellent supplemental training protocol for more than the reasons already expressed (which are all good). Other benefits that can be derived from its practice through the internal visualization process, which is a crucial part of this physical training method are:

• Right State – It helps to put you in the right state of mind for a fight through the focus worked on and developed from this exercise. It also helps to improve future performances through the honing of the ability to relax and block out distractions during a fight.
    • Enhancing Skills – It can improve and prefect the skills you're working on in an optimal manner.
    • Reviewing – Internally reviewing whatever skill you're working on will help you to improve and facilitate better performance the next time around.
    • Strategy – Visualization also helps in preparing proactive strategies by mentally going over (with positive solutions) every possible situations that may arise during a fight.
    • Winning Attitude – It can help instill a winning mindset by "programming" successful outcomes into your psyche.

Okay, with the above said, keep in mind when you visualize in this manner (i.e. combined with physical execution), you'll strictly be doing so in "first person" mode. Now, when you visualize without any physical movements, you can also do it in "third person," like you're watching a movie.

I suggest implementing this practice in gradual, gradient steps, starting out in slow-motion then progressing to full-speed. Anywhere from one to 10 minutes is a sensible/reasonable duration to incorporate into your regimen. Finally, this is a training exercise that can be done every day with positive effect if so desired. Anyway, I hope this helps...

Take Care,
    Lito
    Last edited by StrictlySP; 07-31-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    This idea is totally separate to sparring with eyes closed.

But I think its an amazing thing to do if you are in contact and are fighting with arm contact.

If I was training Mma, wrestlers or Judo they would doing routines like this, so they could build up feeling in their limbs to read intuitively the opponents balance and when there is an opening or a break to strike through.

Also for practice flowing with the opponents force then bursting free and attacking them in the opening they automatically leave.

This would have to be built up in a few set stages, the first ones being basic set patterns, as to build on the contact reflexes before allowing them to go free style with blindfolds on starting in contact over a few varying distances one armed and also in close with both forearms touching.

Having forearm contact in boxing isnt impossible and frequently occurs in close situations on one side or another; or sometimes both sides when each of the fighters are very tired and things slow down into the odd grapple and hug; so its not out of the question to be trained in it, so that you have some working answers for some untrained for situations that arise.
    When I was young i read a book entitled "If You Could See What I Hear", I think, about a guy that, despite being blind, became an accomplished wrestler. Harry Greb fought very successfully while blind in at least one eye, and Pete Herman fought on after losing his vision. Though he changed from, I've read, being a smooth boxer to being a guy that looked to trap an opponent and open up.

Thread Information