Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Victor Ortiz vs. Josesito Lopez/Humberto Soto vs. Lucas Matthysse

Not much discussion of it, but it seems like it could be a great styles match-up of boxer versus puncher. I wonder if Soto's diet of soft opposition finally catches up with him or if he can box Matthysse to a decision. It's Soto's first foray into the junior welterweight division, Matthysse's territory. Anyone else excited about this fight? Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Humberto Soto vs. Lucas Matthysse

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Not much discussion of it, but it seems like it could be a great styles match-up of boxer versus puncher. I wonder if Soto's diet of soft opposition finally catches up with him or if he can box Matthysse to a decision. It's Soto's first foray into the junior welterweight division, Matthysse's territory. Anyone else excited about this fight? Thoughts?
    I think it should be a fairly decent fight. I'll definitely be downloading it to watch the next day. I'd be tempted to say that Matthysse would stop Soto at this stage. I like Matthysse, plus its Soto's first pop at 140. Who knows. I've seen Soto box beautifully on the back foot, and he'll defo need that against Matthysse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I must have my brain clouded with smoke, I had no idea this fight was going on.
    This is another great fight.
    Damn, GBP are stepping it up recently.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Matthysse arguably beat Judah AND Alexander. The guy can box to go along with his punching power unlike his countryman Maidana.

Soto is a damn good boxer, but he's a good deal smaller and has been around for a while.

I'll go with Matthysse by late stoppage.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Matthysse arguably beat Judah AND Alexander. The guy can box to go along with his punching power unlike his countryman Maidana.

Soto is a damn good boxer, but he's a good deal smaller and has been around for a while.

yep matthysse got jobbed out of 2 wins but I guess that's the price argentines apparently have to pay in their first few fights in the states, see sergio...is this on the lee-chavez undercard cause if it is hell yeah. As ya say hulk maidana is just pure power and brawler, matthysse actually thinks in there and has power to go with it. Think matthysse takes this, and would love to see maidana-matthysee in the near future

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post

yep matthysse got jobbed out of 2 wins but I guess that's the price argentines apparently have to pay in their first few fights in the states, see sergio...is this on the lee-chavez undercard cause if it is hell yeah. As ya say hulk maidana is just pure power and brawler, matthysse actually thinks in there and has power to go with it. Think matthysse takes this, and would love to see maidana-matthysee in the near future
    Me too and I like Maidana a lot. Also thought Judah eeked out a win against Matthysse, but Alexander def lost.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big fan of Soto and he's jumped up before but honestly looked frustrated in looking for power. I don't see him playing the backfoot here and eventually Matthysse straight timing to body and head will catch up. Soto is a tougher, more all around durable 12 round boxer type than a Zab or Devon but he's going to have to keep his head or get sucked in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

matthyse's technique is usually pretty damn good. he would have gotten a decision against judah or alexander but no one is giving a close decision to the guy from argentina.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Rant,
    Why don't you just make this the Saturday Night fight thread? Surfer Vic vs. Lopez is the main event.

June 23
    At Los Angeles (Showtime): Victor Ortiz vs. Josesito Lopez, 12 rounds, welterweights; Lucas Matthysse vs. Humberto Soto, 12 rounds, WBC junior welterweight eliminator; Julian Ramirez vs. TBA, 4 rounds, featherweights; Jermell Charlo vs. Denis Doughlin, 10 rounds, junior middleweights.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Soto is going to get murdered. It won't last four rounds.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Hey Rant,
    Why don't you just make this the Saturday Night fight thread? Surfer Vic vs. Lopez is the main event.

June 23
    At Los Angeles (Showtime): Victor Ortiz vs. Josesito Lopez, 12 rounds, welterweights; Lucas Matthysse vs. Humberto Soto, 12 rounds, WBC junior welterweight eliminator; Julian Ramirez vs. TBA, 4 rounds, featherweights; Jermell Charlo vs. Denis Doughlin, 10 rounds, junior middleweights.
    Works for me. Clearly, no moderator. But, I'm down. I'll be at home watching it, and could stay on top of it, if you needed me to.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Hey Rant,

June 23
    Works for me. Clearly, no moderator. But, I'm down. I'll be at home watching it, and could stay on top of it, if you needed me to.
    Cool, I'll ask CFH or one of the other mods to make this the fight thread and sticky it, at least by friday.
    Cheers Mr. Rantcat

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Re: Victor Ortiz vs. Josesito Lopez/Humberto Soto vs. Lucas Matthysse

Thanks for making this the Saturday fight thread and putting a sticky on it. (whoever you are , cheers)
    On Showtime Saturday night:
    Josesito Lopez is a warmup fight for Ortiz for the vacant WBC Silver welterweight trinket (woohoo) before his big fight with Canelo Alvarez in September. Humberto Soto vs. Lucas Matthysse should be the fight of the night, in my view it's a pick 'um, but with the edge going to Lucas because of his size and power.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Victor Ortiz vs. Josesito Lopez/Humberto Soto vs. Lucas Matthysse

Hopefully Ortiz hasnt looked past Lopez as he looks tough and dangerous. Id like to see Ortiz in with Alvarez as I think he has the beating of him but if Ortiz takes Lopez lightly he will come unstuck! Lopez would be a better opponent to Alvarez than anyone hes already fought

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Victor Ortiz vs. Josesito Lopez/Humberto Soto vs. Lucas Matthysse

Bumpity bump in the name of two pages . Ya know, there is something to be said about looking past an opponent. Tons of 'transition' for Ortiz with Berto shift and then being a third option as Alvarez opponent. For a guy coming off a ko in which he was obviously rattled and has melted down prior, it may not be the most intelligent frame of mind. Things happen...cuts, assumptions, blind hash smoking judges, a guy resenting being so blatantly overlooked and refusing to play the foil...never really know.

Soto vs Matthysse is just a quality scrap and cannot wait for the leather to sort out the night.

Thread Information