Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Have there been any MMA fighters to enter the boxing ring?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Have there been any MMA fighters to enter the boxing ring?

I've heard of several pro boxers that have had bouts in cage. But have their been any MMA fighters to try their hand in the boxing ring?

Seems like I hear a lot of people like to badmouth boxing by saying that a pro boxer can't hack it when he gets in the cage with a mixed martial artist. However, I believe that if an MMA fighter were to get in the ring (not with a bum, but with a skilled boxer) he would get the snot beat out of him. (That's my unexpert opinion, not trying to start a debate or anything )

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Have there been any MMA fighters to enter the boxing ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    I've heard of several pro boxers that have had bouts in cage. But have their been any MMA fighters to try their hand in the boxing ring?

Seems like I hear a lot of people like to badmouth boxing by saying that a pro boxer can't hack it when he gets in the cage with a mixed martial artist. However, I believe that if an MMA fighter were to get in the ring (not with a bum, but with a skilled boxer) he would get the snot beat out of him. (That's my unexpert opinion, not trying to start a debate or anything )
    can't think of any who have stepped into a boxing ring against a world class boxer, but Anderson Silva, Jens Pulver, KJ Noons, and Nick Diaz have all had pro boxing fights against weak opposition

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe a few MMA guys have had some pro boxing bouts for sure, but I don't think there has been a high profile crossover on either side really.

It stands to reason that a boxer has a better chance of crossing over to MMA than the other way around. Boxing is, of course, a martial art. The vast majority of guys in the UFC at least are only truly proficient in one or two individual forms of combat. It is nearly impossible to be dominant in several at the same time, which is one of the reasons it is so rare for guys to go undefeated for a length of time in MMA, unless they are simply far more athletic than most anyone else around their weight divison(thinking Anderson Silva, St Pierre etc.)

A serious MMA fighter will have no less chance to be succesful in boxing than he would any other individual martial art, which is still next to none at the elite level. How could you possibly beat somebody who has trained his whole life to fight under a certain set of rules, when you have to be prepared for all kinds of different things from one fight to the next? What you are asking is no different than "why haven't more Triathletes crossed over to competitive swimming?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know Vitor Belfort did, Chris Lytle, a few other guys as well I just can't remember.
    And Ellie sechbach uploaded a video of Nick Diaz sparring Omar Henry in the ring and he took it off I'm not sure why but Omar was doing work.

Diaz is one of my favorite MMA fighters and I know he did some training with Andre Ward.

I remember when Sean Sherk called Mayweather out to fight in the cage lol.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unless you want to count Kimbo Slice I don't think there are any accomplished MMA fighters that attempted to box professionally after or during their MMA careers. Several already mentioned came into MMA with some boxing background though. Big Nog did compete briefly on the Brazilian boxing team.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VictorCharlie View Post
    Unless you want to count Kimbo Slice I don't think there are any accomplished MMA fighters that attempted to box professionally after or during their MMA careers. Several already mentioned came into MMA with some boxing background though. Big Nog did compete briefly on the Brazilian boxing team.
    Victor I feel some pro boxers, go into MMA to make some money when they are past there sell by date,
    stupid really. As for MMA fighters boxing, there skill's are very limited sorry to say it most of them could
    not box kippers. Been in a few MMA gym's, and seen all them schooled by a moderate boxer, the guy was nothing special he just made them look terrible.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dia, I don't know anyone that is legit fan that suggests that MMA fighters can "box" or that there is a top MMA fighter that would succeed in pro boxing. I too have seen guys with boxing backgrounds tool guys in a MMA gym on the feet. I also regularly see boxers that are convinced that their superior punching and footwork will dominate right up to the point they got choked out or knocked out from a knee to the face. The important distinction that has to be made is that MMA striking is not the same thing as boxing. Being able to box well does not directly translate to being able to strike well in MMA. Hence, why a MMA fighter doesn't look right when striking to a diehard boxing fan and also why they just like boxers can't just cross over with similar success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are many MMA fighters that can box.
    Vitali Klitschko,"JDS is a very strong fighter, deserves to be champ, he jabs like my brother Wladimir, so he is learning from the best."

Junior Dos Santos is a great boxer and his boxing has helped him become the HW champ, absolutely outclassing anyone who has stood with him.
    He is a really good example of how to use boxing in MMA.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hardcore_crash View Post
    There are many MMA fighters that can box.
    Vitali Klitschko,"JDS is a very strong fighter, deserves to be champ, he jabs like my brother Wladimir, so he is learning from the best."

Junior Dos Santos is a great boxer and his boxing has helped him become the HW champ, absolutely outclassing anyone who has stood with him.
    He is a really good example of how to use boxing in MMA.
    that's not the question at hand though, he's asking if any MMA fighter has ever faced a world class boxer in a boxing match, not in a MMA match, closest thing to come was when there were reports that Diaz was going to fight Lacey or when Silva was going to fight Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I realize that, and I should have quoted Dia.
    That's my mistake.

Those two examples you used were very good though.
    Diaz didn't end up fighting Lacy because he got the title shot and has "retired" since Condit ran the marathon and testing postive. And in the Silva case, there was no way Dana White was going to let Anderson put his and the UFCs reputation on the line facing a shot Roy and possibly losing. And of course, him not willing to do any kind of co-promotion.

Andrei Arlovski was also getting very serious into his boxing transition.
    And there is no doubt in my mind guys like Arlovski and Dos Santos could transition very well in to Pro boxing if they were to focus solely on their boxing.
    With Arlovski though, had he not had his problems with his chin he would have by now.
    He ruined everything with that flying knee of his, one of the biggest mistake I have ever seen in any combat sport.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always felt Andrei was one of the most physically and technically gifted fighters I've ever seen. His lack of chin has been one of the great let downs in the MMA HW division.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A good professional boxer is too specialized for an MMA guy to compete with him at boxing.

A good MMA guy is too well rounded for a boxer to compete with him in a real fight.

Those are just the facts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Freddie Roach's Top 5 Boxers in MMA - Inside MMA - YouTube
    Just a video of Freddie Roach's top boxers in mma.

Little Nog was a good amateur boxer he won brazilian championships twice and south american championships.

MMA Ultimate Set: Anderson Silva Sparring at Wild Card Boxing Club - YouTube
    Anderson training at wild card
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Thread Information