Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: *VIDEO* Smuggled Cuban Boxing Secrets!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exclamation *VIDEO* Smuggled Cuban Boxing Secrets!

Last year I had traveled to Cuba to train boxing (I did so legally from Miami to Havana). Since 1972, Cuba has earned more Olympic medals in boxing than any other country in the world. The United States is a boxing powerhouse - but due to the embargo, Cuba's boxing techniques and training concepts are a secret to most American fighters.

Some Americans that manage to visit Cuba try to smuggle out cigars or rum... I smuggled out boxing secrets! I got to train with legendary boxing coach Carlos Miranda. Coach Miranda was very different than most boxing coaches I had worked with prior. He has a serious wisdom… he is a guru… he is the Cuban Mr. Miyagi of boxing! I compare him to Mr. Miyagi because every sentence that came out of his mouth was enlightening. I would hang out after the training sessions and sit back with him in the shade and talk for hours about boxing, combat, coaching, and even philosophy… and I learned more about boxing in those few hours talking than I had learned in years of training!

Amongst many principles and concepts he shared with me in those conversations, he introduced to me a very simple system for shadow boxing and practicing technique that revolutionized the way my team now practices striking – and even grappling. The system is so darn simple and when you hear it, it makes perfect sense… but I have never been to a gym that practices shadow boxing in this exact manner. Don’t get me wrong… there are definitely champions that utilize these principles – but I haven’t seen it taught systematically the way it was explained to me.

Ok Avellan, so what's the secret? I could type it out but I think video would help get the message across best! I have been using this system for over a year now and have not shared it publicly. I showed this system to a few colleagues at a seminar, which included world champion trainers Greg Nelson, Adam and Rory Singer, Lloyd Irvin, and UFC veterans and BJJ Black Belts Marcus Aurelio, Tim Credeur, Alberto Crane, Shawn Williams, and a dozen or so others that were in attendance. However, this is the first time I put this information out to the public… the secret is out!

In a few days I’ll post part II – stay tuned!

If you like the concepts you are hearing, visit Free Video - Black Belt Psychology for Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and join my email list to get more videos and articles about the mindset of training, competition, and combat.

P.S. Please leave comments!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: *VIDEO* Smuggled Cuban Boxing Secrets!

Sounds interesting, but my spidey sense is tingling.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its very good. Having them know exactly why some footwork will work in certain combos and why some wont work and also keeping them in balance and never over committed is the next task: Otherwise they'll get caught in the shift of being erratic for no reason.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this serious? This guy is acting like he is bringing secrets from God and doing seminars on stuff that anybody that teaches boxing knows, or should know. Does this guy think that they only know this in Cuba? How does one get this type of gig?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Is this serious? This guy is acting like he is bringing secrets from God and doing seminars on stuff that anybody that teaches boxing knows, or should know. Does this guy think that they only know this in Cuba? How does one get this type of gig?
    MMA fighters, they are open to anything.

get it?

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He says a ton of things that are very true, very true, I just didn't know that those things were Cuban secrets.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    He says a ton of things that are very true, very true, I just didn't know that those things were Cuban secrets.
    lol I almost axed the first post from him as it was indeed very spammy and sensationalized, but figured, not a lot going on in here and the stuff isn't necessarily wrong or terrible. Just, how would you say...packaged for quick sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm very impressed to say the least! I trained for four years under three time kickboxing world champion Eric "El Tigre" Castanos, who was a boxing coach to Jermain Taylor (when he was world champ) back in 2003-ish and since then have continued to train with many other boxers and kickboxers down in Miami. I've worked out in a few boxing gyms and I've never seen anyone break down training sessions in this exact manner. I've also never been to the boxing gym where I walk in and see the entire room shadow boxing in such a manner either... I've seen world champs shadow box and they DO look like this... but the average Joe at a boxing gym... no! At Coach Miranda's gym, EVERYBODY was shadow boxing like this.

Do people know about pivoting and striking, side stepping and striking, bringing the rear shoulder forward then jabbing, etc.? Of course. And coaches will show it, boxers will rep it, and then put the technique away in their back pocket and only pull it out occasionally. They usually have a shadow boxing routine of repeated combos and movements, occasionally tossing in a new movement or angle.

If I were to grab the majority of boxers and do the same demo where I say, "Jab... jab... jab..." everyone would throw the same forward step jab to the nose... and if I were to say, "1, 2... 1,2... 1,2..." everybody would throw the same forward boring 1,2... well... everyone except you guys

I'm not exaggerating the least bit when I tell you that at Coach Miranda's camp, EVERYBODY, by default, will always change it up. So if you were to try to do that same demonstration over there... you would never get the same result...

So yes, I consider that a "secret" of their success. It is about the philosophy... and the best part, like most of you mentioned, it is SIMPLE and easy to embrace. Furthermore, it fits for any style of fighter.

Somebody mentioned a "quick buck"... I'm just sharing information with you guys. Yes, I hope that you guys like the info, join my email list, and down the road, if I end up creating a DVD series or something, maybe you would be interested - but right now I'm simply giving you guys free info that I picked up from a trip that cost me some money and took up a considerable amount of my time. It was info gathered while training amongst some real talent, including an Olympic bronze medalist, and with Coach Miranda, whose reputation is stellar in Cuba.

I'm new on this forum but I've been posting videos, articles, etc. for the past nine months since the creation of my website on October 2011. If you guys like the stuff I'm putting out, I'll continue to do so regardless if anybody attends my seminar or buys any future DVDs (I have nothing created at the moment). I'm just building my list and having fun sharing info that I've picked up over the past 17 years I've been training.

I come in peace
    Last edited by Marcos Avellan; 07-07-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welcome aboard.
    I like your stuff and all input is great.
    If anything this forum will test your sense of humor the further you go the larger it gets.
    It could also test your own flexibility of mindset concerning some of the others training methods too, you can read about on past pages here you will see utube vids on what they speak about as well.
    Scraps work is cutting edge.

.<-Oh and this means people are just taking the piss.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds good Andre!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I take it Marcos that you havent trained or visisted many pure boxing gyms? The problem you are talking about sounds more like a womens boxercise gym where its for excercise rather than a boxer training with an imaginary sparring partner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    I take it Marcos that you havent trained or visisted many pure boxing gyms? The problem you are talking about sounds more like a womens boxercise gym where its for excercise rather than a boxer training with an imaginary sparring partner?
    Hey Ross, I want to reply to your comment but I don't understand it... which "problem" are you referring to? I talk about quite a few issues throughout the videos.

I trained for four years out of Young Tigers out of Miami, Florida with Eric "El Tigre" Castanos who was coach to Jermain Taylor (while he was world champ). Shadow boxing was considered an important part of our training, as it was when I visited Cuba.

I'm probably misunderstanding your comment though, if possible, please elaborate, but right now I'm making the assumption that you are trying to communicate that in-depth shadow boxing and visualization is for women's boxercise programs and not for real "pure" boxing gyms?

If that is what you are trying to say, then we'll have to agree to disagree. I think shadow boxing is the most underrated and abused form of training in the boxing and kickboxing community amongst the average joes (I personally believe that world champs and world class coaches understand its value and practice it differently than the average guy in the gym) - and in my opinion, I think shadow boxing the BEST form of training when done correctly.

Thanks for the post though and feel free to clarify what you were trying to say.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, im saying that throwing repetative identical punches, is like a womens boxercise class. Shadow boxing as if fighting an opponent and moving about os just something real boxers actually already do. In fact the gum I went to only had about 12 bags a ring and a weights room, so once someone was on the pads or sparring in the ring and all the oer bags were taken, we would circulate around the bags and through pad work, so inevitably at least one or two rounds would be shadow boxing in front of a mirror, as there just wasnt enough room anyway to hang more bags.

If there was enough bags, would I have still shadow boxed? Probably not. You can do the same work on a bag, all be it that you cant see how open you are.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to know, while Shadowboxing where the Holes are, in your defence, Shut your Eyes .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems like a lot of noise for some boxing fundamentals, sorry just being honest, maybe this thread would be better off in an mma section, to introduce mma tists to boxing.,

not the first time ive seen mma practitioners be blown away by the subtelty's of boxing, not surprising tho 2 weapons vs 8 boxers are naturally going to have to learn how to fight more deceptivley and creatively, however this is just the basics, i cant see there being any gym secrets here, if you think some of this stuff is deep you should look over these forums and watch some of the greats, this is just the basics really, i think mma as a starter martial art hinders development of these types of skills and cunning, using your boxing brain, fighting in styles with less weapons often means more thinking is involved toland on a fighter. I think a lot off mma fighters would benefit in developing tgeir skills and boxing brain with 2 weapons before they are spoilt for choice with 8.

Welcome to the subtle world of boxing this .is why i love the sport

Thread Information