Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Heavyweight Fight Schedule

World Boxing News: Bowie Tupou steps up to face Bryant Jennings

Heavyweight boxer, Bowie Tupou, 22-2, 16 KOs, has traveled many miles over the course of his lifetime. He was born in the South Pacific Kingdom of Tonga, grew up in Australia, moved to Los Angeles for his boxing career, then relocated to Las Vegas to improve his chances as a professional fighter. Next week, Tupou will log another 2,500 miles when he travels from Vegas to Philadelphia for the biggest fight of his boxing career, a December 8th match with Philly's Bryant Jennings, 15-0, 7 KOs, for the latter's USBA heavyweight championship. The 12-round main event will be nationally televised by NBC Sports Network as part of its Fight Night boxing series. The telecast will begin at 10PM ET.

Tupou lived in Tonga until he was eleven years old.

"It's just one little island," Tupou said of his homeland. "It's not that big. You can walk the whole country, the whole island, in half a day."

His family left Tonga for Australia in 1993. Bowie, one of six children, spent his early days playing sports, and attending school. "When you're young, you just want to do something to keep active," he said. "I was playing a bit of rugby. That's mostly what we do in Australia."

Eventually he became a professional rugby player, but that career didn't last long. He found himself running around with his friends and not really applying himself to the sport.

"I didn't play professional for that long," he said. "I was just hanging around with my buddies not really focused on what I was supposed to do. Suddenly I found life was not going the way I planned."

Tupou wasn't getting himself in any real trouble, but he didn't feel like he was growing up either. Eventually he met the woman who would become his wife, Georgia, also a Tongan living in Australia. She became a catalyst for many things in Tupou's life.

"I proposed to my wife when I was 19," Tupou said. "I wanted to stay out of trouble, and I needed to straighten out my life. That's why I married so young. I settled down. It was something to keep me straight."

Married and working various construction jobs, Tupou was putting food on the table and living a rather settled life, but he was still getting into an occasional street fight. That's when his wife pointed him in a life-changing direction.

"Why don't you go try out boxing?", Georgia asked him. "It may help you mentally."

"I was a physical guy," Tupou said. "So I said, okay, I'll have a go at it."

Georgia had grown up in the same neighborhood as legendary boxing trainer Johnny Lewis, instructor of Down Under ring greats like Kostya Tsyzu and Jeff Fenech. So she made the introduction.

"I started with Johnny Lewis," Tupou said. "Once I started training, I said, 'Oh Yeah! I kind of like this'. So I always tell everybody that my wife talked me into boxing."

Lewis insisted that the sometimes unfocused young Tupou dedicate himself to training for at least one year before scheduling any fights. Bowie complied, patiently working and applying himself as he'd never done before. The young version of himself probably would have grown restless waiting around for a match, but Tupou was a becoming a new man.

"There's a lot to learn in boxing," he said. "You're not going to pick up boxing in one day. It takes time. In fact, you never stop learning about boxing."

So after a year's "apprenticeship" in the gym, Tupou finally got into the ring for the first time as an amateur boxer.

"I didn't have a long amateur career," Tupou said. "I only had one amateur fight. Then he (Lewis) put me through to the pros."

Tupou rattled off nine straight victories as a professional in Australia. However, he kept working his construction job on the side, learning that boxing paydays in Australia are nothing to live on. It was at this point, 2007, that Tupou and his wife packed their bags and moved to Los Angeles.

He found his way to Freddie Roach's Wild Card Gym and resumed his boxing career in the States.

"California, it was a new experience for me," Tupou said. "A different lifestyle, but I knew my purpose. I knew the reason I came here."

And so Bowie continued to fight and to win. The restless teenager was nowhere in sight. Tupou was living the life of a professional boxer and finally had a real goal to pursue.

"That is the dream of every fighter out there," he said. "To win the heavyweight title."

Four years ago, Tupou moved his base to Las Vegas and began working with Jeff Mayweather, the low-key link in the wild and wooly Mayweather boxing clan. Although he is still learning his trade, the time has come for him to make a real move toward his dream. Enter Bryant Jennings, and the December 8th title fight.

"I don't know much about him," Tupou said of his opponent. "But I know he has the USBA title. It will be a good fight. It will be a good night. And as they say, let the best man win."

Tupou's hard-earned maturity won't allow him to trash-talk the least bit.

"Anything can happen during the fight," he said. "My wish and my dream is to win this fight and to move on. We will both fight our fight and we'll see who wins on that night. It should be a good night."

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson Fury Jabs David Price, Warns Vitali Klitschko - Boxing News

Hopefully Tyson Fury will be willing to fight David Price in 2013.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Price out to topple Skelton

Price out to topple Skelton

Heavyweight David Price reckons has Portugal training camp has got him in the mood to hammer Matt Skelton. The undefeated Liverpool boxer makes the second defense of his British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles against Skelton at Aintree Equestrian Centre on November 30th on Wealth TV and WealthTV.com.

Since beating Audley Harrison in 82 seconds last month, Price has been preparing at promoter Frank Maloney’s training camp in the Algarve. Price, 29, said: “I went to Portugal because the fight was so soon after the Audley Harrison bout. I needed a change of scenery because I was going straight back into camp. It has been refreshing and exactly what I needed. I have had some good sparring with Danny Price and John McDermott. I am more or less there and ready to do a number on Skelton. I only had a week off after the last fight so it was a case of maintaining what I had already done in the gym in the weeks previously.”

So far this year Price beaten John McDermott, Sam Sexton and Harrison with his three victims lasting just 13 minutes and 42 seconds between them – but Price still needs a break.

He explained: “I have trained for four 12 round fights this year which is god because I have been busy. Although the first three fights haven’t gone the distance the training camp takes it out of you and I will welcome a month off over Christmas.”

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson Fury and his uncle say they are ready to fight a Klitschko after Kevin Johnson:

Peter Fury: After Johnson, Tyson Ready For Klitschkos - Boxing News

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Tyson Fury and his uncle say they are ready to fight a Klitschko after Kevin Johnson:

Peter Fury: After Johnson, Tyson Ready For Klitschkos - Boxing News
    He's similar to the majority of the heavyweight division, other than Arreola: they don't want to face a top-ten boxer not named Klitschko. David Haye will only fight Vitali etc.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Perez is injured and won't be able to fight Ruslan Chagaev on Dec 1.

They'll need to find a replacement to fight Chagaev on one week's notice.

http://www.allboxing.ru/archives/2012-11-25_02_57.html

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson Fury says he wants to fight Wladimir Klitschko in May or June 2013. He says he's not interested in facing old faded Vitali:

Tyson Fury Eyes Klitschko Fight in May, June in Germany - Boxing News

He should completely focus on Kevin Johnson for now, he's not an easy opponent.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Perez is injured and won't be able to fight Ruslan Chagaev on Dec 1.

They'll need to find a replacement to fight Chagaev on one week's notice.

http://www.allboxing.ru/archives/2012-11-25_02_57.html
    bollocks i was really looking forward to that one

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oleg Maskaev may fight Sam Peter or Monte Barrett:

Maskaev Could Face Peter or Barrett on December 17th - Boxing News

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Richard Towers will defend his EU-EBU title against Francesco Pianeta on Jan 26.

Richard Towers-Francesco Pianeta Heads To Jan. 20 - Boxing News

Ruslan Chagaev will fight Yakup Saglam on Dec 1 in Dusseldorf (Saglam is the replacement for injured Mike Perez).

Ruslan Chagaev Will Now Face Saglam in Dusseldorf - Boxing News

El Kabong Guest

Oleg Maskaev may fight Sam Peter or Monte Barrett:

Maskaev Could Face Peter or Barrett on December 17th - Boxing News
    Deontay Wilder, Joe Hanks, Jonathan Banks, & Seth Mitchell should look at the winner of that bout to get some experience.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think maskaev v sam peter woudl be a pretty entertaining fight... i doubt it would be high quality but it could be quite the slug fest.. i would tip peter to stop maskaev though i think maskaev is finished for good

El Kabong Guest

It would be a rematch of the WBC title fight that Sam Peter won

Thread Information