Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default planning on starting boxing

So Im thinking about joining a gym and starting boxing this winter. I need a lot of advice though. For one, do I need to be in shape to start boxing? or will joining and just doing the routines get me into shape? because I'm pretty out of shape.

I picked this sport because it's really the only sport that interests me. tried baseball and football, and they both were boring. never liked basketball. I also need to know if it would be a good idea to pay the gym for a personal trainer( I think it was like $20 for a 45min session) and also pay for a diet planner. I don't have a good diet right now so I really need the diet.

I think my biggest problem is I don't know any exercises or the correct form, which is why I want a personal trainer. I read it was a good idea to have a home gym with boxing equipment. I was wondering how much this might cost me? for all the basic boxing equipment I would need at home that is.

I plan on becoming really focused with this because I've never really dedicated myself to a sport. I hate to ask but how long would it take to see results? I really want to build up muscle, become faster with better agility, and sculpt some abs. I also wanted to look maybe a little intimidating to people. I have this take no crap attitude but I don't have the muscle to back it up. I'm not looking to start boxing to get into fights and encourage fights. I actually think this sport looks fun to try. but I want people to know if they mess with me there are consequences. I really don't care how long but I want to see some results to maybe motivate me. and recommending some magazines or sights where I can keep up with professional boxers and boxing news would be good. I can't really think of anything else to ask right now so any other advice anyone has is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: planning on starting boxing

Well, a great place to start learning about boxing in general is through the sticky threads in this forum. There is the sports nutrition thread and the training videos thread that should cover at least two of your most vital needs at the present moment... I mean, to get you started.

First is first. How old are you and how much do you weigh? Have you ever been athletic in any point in your life? Just good information for us to have in the records. If you plan on getting a physical trainer, he'll tell you most of what you need to know, the rest you'll hear from you GP doctor. Though it's important first and foremost to check with your doctor about whether you're healthy enough to practice an intense and high contact sport like boxing.

If you're already thinking about hiring a personal trainer, is it safe to assume you can afford a home gym as well? It'll be marginal if you get things over time, which is what I did on a minimum wage salary and bills to pay! I would estimate buying a home gym outright would cost almost a grand. Of course that will vary.

Information is free and there is plenty here and on ze YouTubes!

To see results in your body? Immediately. If you're young enough, your body will start adapting to all of that extra stress immediately, as the weeks go in, you'll find yourself running a little faster and breathing a little easier! However, if you're asking how long it'll take for you to acquire competitive level skills? I'd say a year or 3, depending on how dedicated and talented you are.

As far as boxing news, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this site is one of the best places for that. Granted, it's mostly subjective opinions, but there are money folks here who report news in one way or another.

I hope you find what you're looking for, all the best to ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taking up boxing was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life, and I've found the sport to be incredibly rewarding.

I found a MMA gym that had a few boxing classes, and signed up to a 10 week program. I almost puked in the first 2 weeks after just the warm-up! After the full 10 weeks, however, there were noticeable results. My fitness improved dramatically and I was able to keep up in the training sessions. Mind you, I also did roadwork in my own spare time that helped a lot.

I have never been an athletic person and my diet was pretty poor. After about 6 months I'd dropped about 4-5 kilos, increased my strength and cardio and I was enjoying every minute of it. Unfortunately I loved it so much that I overtrained and now injuries have put me out and I haven't trained for close to 12 months. I intend to start again from step 1, however, and I think you're going to really love the sport.

While you're still researching and deciding, you can take action now. Get your running shoes on and run everyday. Go buy a rope for $5 bucks and do 3 minute sessions, 4 times a day. Change your diet slowly if you have to, by eating clean for a day until you can eat clean for a week.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The most important thing you need to begin boxing, is the ability to get your ass through the front door. Everything else will sort itself out after that.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The most important thing you need to begin boxing, is the ability to get your ass through the front door. Everything else will sort itself out after that.
    That is gospel. Just go and get started, see what happens. If you like it, keep going back. You can think yourself into knots.

Thread Information