Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Whitlock: "The civil-rights movement and integration killed boxing"

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Jason Whitlock: "The civil-rights movement and integration killed boxing"

Whitlock: Neglect leaves USA boxing on the ropes

This Jason Whitlock fella is one of the dumbest sacks of shit ever to write an article. I'm not certain about what anyone else thinks, but that is my view of the situation.

What's wrong with the United States amateur boxing system is that there is corruption, incompotence, and we've apparently run out of good solid amateur trainers. People have been blaming the NFL, NBA, MLB forever and it's just a pathetic excuse. What would Mike Tyson do in the NFL or NBA? Evander Holyfield? Riddick Bowe? Joe Frazier? Those guys are fighters, what has happened is that people are so scared of the head injuries boxing causes (which is no worse than football) that they have kept their kids & students from participating in the sport. There are very few places where a young kid can go and get good training or good fair fights in, there's a lot of travel involved and very little if any reward. Changes must be made, but at a grassroots level to start.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jason Whitlock: "The civil-rights movement and integration killed boxing"

How Jason Whitlock still has a fucking job is a joke. He is a fucking clown, seriously and people are just scared to fire him because he'll fire his weak ass race card right back. I don't get worked up often, but as an aspiring journalist, it is an absolute joke Whitlock is allowed to give his piece of mind to anybody but the patrons of a street corner barbershop.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Jason Whitlock: "The civil-rights movement and integration killed boxing"

Every mother fucking thing he writes is race based

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that neither of you are big fans of him but it's still probably a bit of an exaggeration to claim "This Jason Whitlock fella is one of the dumbest sacks of shit ever to write an article."

Anyway what happened to a free press ? people write about shit they don't have a clue about everyday, you should check out some of your own comments in the General Soccer/Football thread
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that neither of you are big fans of him but it's still probably a bit of an exaggeration to claim "This Jason Whitlock fella is one of the dumbest sacks of shit ever to write an article."

Anyway what happened to a free press ? people write about shit they don't have a clue about everyday, you should check out some of your own comments in the General Soccer/Football thread
    He can write as he wishes, he's just not good at it and he shouldn't be paid for it.

Deciding to start trolling me now eh? Not what I would suggest you do to better our online interactions, but you're a big boy do as you please.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He can write as he wishes, he's just not good at it and he shouldn't be paid for it.

Deciding to start trolling me now eh? Not what I would suggest you do to better our online interactions, but you're a big boy do as you please.

If people want to read it he deserves to be paid for it, I thought you believed in a free market. You'll never admit you are wrong, it's a forum, I don't give a fuck
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amateur boxing has some problems in the US and they should be fixed but I think some of you are beating the wrong horse. It's not that the US has fallen on it's face, which it has, it's the fact that everyone else is doing a much better job than we are. The US should take a look at what other countries are doing and improve on that, which is what they did to us. Take a look at programs around the world and use what we can from them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't read the article...I figured it was typical Whitlock nonsense. If you've read one of his articles who have pretty much read them all.

Anyway, Soviet boxing legend Igor Vysotsky warned America a few years ago about neglecting our Amateur program.

Igor Vysotsky: I’ll tell the Americans one thing. It doesn’t pay to forget about amateur boxing, because otherwise, in the near future there won’t be a single world champ from the U.S.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He makes some valid points, though I don't know if his reasoning is sound. The way boxing is today, and the way it has been for many years, a few guys make an absolute mountain of money. A few guys make a living, and everybody else , even pros, box around the day job that pays the bills. There is no money in live gates, and television shows are rare and generally feature the show-case fighter and his victim. not a ton of room for up and comers.
    I've read that the live gates declined because of the TV boom in the post WWII years, but I have also read that it was because white people quit going to the fights as fewer and fewer Irish, Italian, and Slavic kids (in the US) took up boxing. I don't know...I do know that, at the Olympic Auditorium, a traditional hotbed of boxing, they couldn't make mony off of live gates the last time they tried. I think that is because even rabid Hispanic fans will only show up to see mismatches so many times. Make good fights and people will come.
    I think that the silly slap-fight style of amateur boxing and the asinine scoring have really hurt amateur boxing. I know I lost interest years ago. Pro boxing is not much different, not any more, not really, and I guess that it is really a reflection of people that don't understand what boxing is about, not in an actual sense, and not, especially, in a spiritual sense.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whitlock: The root of Gabby's hair critics

Jason Whitlock (WhitlockJason) on Twitter

Whitlock is just a shit stirrer and a race debater. He honestly is completely ridiculous and should never be taken seriously. He sucks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This article makes some sense about potential inner city black kids turning to other sports as a way out compared to boxing.

Outside of that its a fat "scrub" calling a pretty good athlete and boxer in Breazzelle, a "Great big dope".
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Beanz I do it all the time, I'm just off to do some more.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know a whole lot about American sports but the last 20 years have seen massive changes in Professional sport over here. The wages have gone through the roof and whilst Football (soccer) maybe the most obvious one other games will undoubtedly have attracted kids that may have once turned to boxing. Good amateur programs and initiatives do make a difference and have pulled a lot of kids in across the UK in the run up to the Olympics, (Anthony Joshua is only 22 and only started boxing at 18 so in four years he isn't doing to bad) and success will no doubt attract a few others just like the successful American team attracted a new generation. The world though is now very different from then and team sports are just one of a myriad of distractions to discourage kids from taking up boxing.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation and while it's easy to dismiss Whitlock there is truth in Ali, Frazier and other African American fighters taking up the sport not only as a way to define themselves as men but as a way out of much more limited career prospects. In just one generation SRL was able to contemplate the idea of dismissing turning pro all together and pursuing a career in law. Sure a black guy could have done that earlier but would have faced a lot more obstacles. The catch 22 is that without heroes to look up to in the pro game it is difficult to get new blood into the game. FMJ and Pacman may be big stars but they are competing with many more celebrities for kids to make into heroes and more options for kids to be entertained by. American youngsters black,white ,hispanic, asian whatever need to have a pinnacle to aspire to. The heavyweight division for so long was dominated by you guys, and while it may never have been as pure or fascinating a spectacle as the lower weights displays of tactical and boxing prowess it did, and still can, provide great entertainment. Even American boxers who had no chance of fighting at the weight were inspired by the huge international spectacle and every one likes a winner, (though never quite like an American ), who usually came from your shores.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If people want to read it he deserves to be paid for it, I thought you believed in a free market. You'll never admit you are wrong, it's a forum, I don't give a fuck
    I agree with everything you said but after it hits the Internet, he has to face the critics. If he says something that dosen't make sense, someone is going to let him know. Man, it's like our duty.

El Kabong Guest

Getting back to this....

This video shows for all the American sports fans that Jason Whitlock has no fucking clue what he's talking about. In this clip he's defending saying that QB Jay Cutler "quit" on his team during a 2010 playoff game vs the Green Bay Packers....he was playing with a sprained MCL. Whitlock is quick to judge players....especially anyone he considers a pampered white guy like a quarterback especially when "his team" the Chicago Bears could have signed Donovan McNabb or Michael Vick instead of getting Jay Cutler.

Thread Information