Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Jason Whitlock: "The civil-rights movement and integration killed boxing"

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jason Whitlock: "The civil-rights movement and integration killed boxing"

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Every mother fucking thing he writes is race based
    I'm getting the feeling that neither of you are big fans of him but it's still probably a bit of an exaggeration to claim "This Jason Whitlock fella is one of the dumbest sacks of shit ever to write an article."

Anyway what happened to a free press ? people write about shit they don't have a clue about everyday, you should check out some of your own comments in the General Soccer/Football thread
    Yes Beanz I do it all the time, I'm just off to do some more.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jason Whitlock: "The civil-rights movement and integration killed boxing"

I don't know a whole lot about American sports but the last 20 years have seen massive changes in Professional sport over here. The wages have gone through the roof and whilst Football (soccer) maybe the most obvious one other games will undoubtedly have attracted kids that may have once turned to boxing. Good amateur programs and initiatives do make a difference and have pulled a lot of kids in across the UK in the run up to the Olympics, (Anthony Joshua is only 22 and only started boxing at 18 so in four years he isn't doing to bad) and success will no doubt attract a few others just like the successful American team attracted a new generation. The world though is now very different from then and team sports are just one of a myriad of distractions to discourage kids from taking up boxing.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation and while it's easy to dismiss Whitlock there is truth in Ali, Frazier and other African American fighters taking up the sport not only as a way to define themselves as men but as a way out of much more limited career prospects. In just one generation SRL was able to contemplate the idea of dismissing turning pro all together and pursuing a career in law. Sure a black guy could have done that earlier but would have faced a lot more obstacles. The catch 22 is that without heroes to look up to in the pro game it is difficult to get new blood into the game. FMJ and Pacman may be big stars but they are competing with many more celebrities for kids to make into heroes and more options for kids to be entertained by. American youngsters black,white ,hispanic, asian whatever need to have a pinnacle to aspire to. The heavyweight division for so long was dominated by you guys, and while it may never have been as pure or fascinating a spectacle as the lower weights displays of tactical and boxing prowess it did, and still can, provide great entertainment. Even American boxers who had no chance of fighting at the weight were inspired by the huge international spectacle and every one likes a winner, (though never quite like an American ), who usually came from your shores.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information