Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Martinez Chavez: A tale of two fighters searching for a legacy

Martinez vs. Chavez

It's the age old story... Boxer versus brawler.

I have forever been a Martinez fan... (forever being circa '07 with his KOof Roman... not exactly forever ) That being said, I see this as a defining fight for Martinez like never before.

When Martinez originally beat lost to Williams, I saw that he could fight with the big dogs, win or lose.

When he fought Pavlik he showed the intestinal fortitude to withstand a mid-fight rally to not just win, but take the MW championship.

With his vicious KO of Williams in their second bout it was quite clear that homeboy had solidified himself as a player... Not only in the division, but P4P.

Fast forward 2 years. The well maintained Martinez has now been on a preverbal shelf fighting very good, albeit unknown opposition in Title holder Dzinziruk, Barker, and Macklin...

(Let's not forget that he lost his trainer for Pablo… who it’s clear he trusts less. Let me quickly say that when Gaby was in his corner he listened more… In his last few bouts without him he’s left the corner and made his own decisions.)

With every fight he took a little bit more punishment.

Now, her he is… He’ll be fighting the biggest(by far) man he’s ever faced, being one of the smallest men in thedivision.

I, for one am looking forward to this one. Chavez lacks in so many areas, but he’s so f**king big and has a granite chin.

This is a true David and Goliath.

I’m excited.

Thoughts, ladies and gentleman?
    Last edited by PRIDE OF BOSTON; 08-04-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Martinez Chavez: A tale of two fighters searching for a legacy

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON View Post
    Martinez vs. Chavez

It's the age old story... Boxer versus brawler.

I have forever been a Martinez fan... (forever being circa '07 with his KOof Roman... not exactly forever ) That being said, I see this as a defining fight for Martinez like never before.

When Martinez originally beat lost to Williams, I saw that he could fight with the big dogs, win or lose.

When he fought Pavlik he showed the intestinal fortitude to withstand a mid-fight rally to not just win, but take the MW championship.

With his vicious KO of Williams in their second bout it was quite clear that homeboy had solidified himself as a player... Not only in the division, but P4P.

Fast forward 2 years. The well maintained Martinez has now been on a preverbal shelf fighting very good, albeit unknown opposition in Title holder Dzinziruk, Barker, and Macklin...

(Let's not forget that he lost his trainer for Pablo… who it’s clear he trusts less. Let me quickly say that when Gaby was in his corner he listened more… In his last few bouts without him he’s left the corner and made his own decisions.)

With every fight he took a little bit more punishment.

Now, her he is… He’ll be fighting the biggest(by far) man he’s ever faced, being one of the smallest men in thedivision.

I, for one am looking forward to this one. Chavez lacks in so many areas, but he’s so f**king big and has a granite chin.

This is a true David and Goliath.

I’m excited.

Thoughts, ladies and gentleman?
    I cnt wait for thiz fight yo!
    Derz so many thingz to b answered here. Wether Chavez size will make a big difference? Will he be able to cuz down Martinez ring? Will Chavez body shotz wear down Martinez?
    Personally im a lil worried bout how Martinez iz gonna react to Chavez body work.
    But if all goez da way i want it Martinez wil outwork Chavez an hopefully break him down an stop him!
    Lifes a wheel of fortune and its my turn to spin it. -Tupac Shakur

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a fight I've been waiting for! The fight that will tell us who the next potential superstar is! Sergio is great but so is Julio! I'll be watching this one, no matter what else is going on. Yeah man, a fight that really means something!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    This is a fight I've been waiting for! The fight that will tell us who the next potential superstar is! Sergio is great but so is Julio! I'll be watching this one, no matter what else is going on. Yeah man, a fight that really means something!
    sorry but having a famous last name doesn't make you great, and up till now that's the only thing that has gotten Jr to this point, he may be decent but he's nowhere near great

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Legacy" is too big a word for Baby Chavez.
    If he doesn't somehow manage to avoid testing AGAIN, and doesn't come in near HW size... Martinez will dismantle him piece by coddled piece.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I were Martinez, I'd be terrified of the fight going to the cards.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think most every fan of boxing expects Martinez will win this fight and expose Chavez Jr. as an average fighter. I think the casual fan will be attracted to this fight because of the sell that it is.

My gut tells me Chavez can easily get destroyed, Although rational says his own legacy can be born we a dramatic win. From watching him these past few fights, I can appreciate his efforts.

I now find myself torn because I am a big fan of Martinez and would like to see him KO Chavez but I'd also like to see Chavez win because he is proving himself. I wish this fight was next week already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chavez is huge. But his weight issues have caused him to severely cramp up in the last handfull of fights. He cramps up against the speedster Martinez and its gradual destruction. The thing is that Chavez's size can not be ignored. He will try to assert it on Martinez which makes this an intreguing fight.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chavez is huge. But his weight issues have caused him to severely cramp up in the last handfull of fights. He cramps up against the speedster Martinez and its gradual destruction. The thing is that Chavez's size can not be ignored. He will try to assert it on Martinez which makes this an intreguing fight.
    The size certainly may play an issue and I know boxing doesn't always work this way but zbik gave chavez all he could handle and in zbiks next fight sturm had his way with him. I figure if zbik can give chavez hell and even a case made for him winning the fight then martinez should be able to beat him rather convincingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    The size certainly may play an issue and I know boxing doesn't always work this way but zbik gave chavez all he could handle and in zbiks next fight sturm had his way with him. I figure if zbik can give chavez hell and even a case made for him winning the fight then martinez should be able to beat him rather convincingly.
    Very good point. One in which I hadn't thought of. I think that's the best barometer for the fight I've heard thus far.

Thread Information