Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think Deontay Wilder is now the top HW in the U.S.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I think Deontay Wilder is now the top HW in the U.S.

Seth Mitchell is the better prospect, he actually steps up his competition and is starting to fight higher ranked guys.

Being unbeaten means nothing when you look at the level of opposition he has faced. He should be unbeaten because he hasn't faced a single live body yet and he still managed to nearly get himself KOed against a nobody bum in Sconiers. Wilder has no Chin. None. There is a reason he is 20+ fights into his career and is still fighting the dregs of the professional Boxing World in strip club-level fights in Alabama and that reason is his Glass Jaw. He is going to be exposed as soon as he's in with a B or even C-level opponent.

His management will eventually have to relent to public opinion and put him in with a live body and when they do he is going to be savagely KOed.

Forget him and watch Bryant Jennings.

El Kabong Guest

I keep saying throw him in with Guinn, because when was the last time Guinn looked dangerous? Also he would last rounds, Wilder needs to go the distance for his own good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I keep saying throw him in with Guinn, because when was the last time Guinn looked dangerous? Also he would last rounds, Wilder needs to go the distance for his own good.
    I agree with this. Not sure Guinn would last the distance now though.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    He can still take a good punch AND being that he's from Arkansas it would be a big fight in the south. If not Guinn, then I would say Wilder should fight Oliver McCall.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure what Quinn has been up to but he is durable. Bingo. Then again so is a heavybag. He def needs rounds but he also needs to 'know' his chin and with that stamina. Mitchell doesn't look like he'll be a great at all but it speaks volumes when a guy gets near sparked on a major show and comes back from the brink. Hell... Wilder vs Witherspoon Why not.

jon09 Guest

He can still take a good punch AND being that he's from Arkansas it would be a big fight in the south. If not Guinn, then I would say Wilder should fight Oliver McCall.
    You mean THE Oliver McCall one of the greatest heavyweight champions of all time...No way Wilder will get killed in the 1st round . On a serious note I would say a Grant vs Wilder fight could be interesting.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder looked explosive and confident as hell in there against Manswell. But, I had never even heard of Manswell before, none the less his credentials and record indicated he was a decent opponent.

The confidence Wilder showed is very unique in today's heavyweight picture. I like what Lyle is saying with putting him in there with someone like Dominick Guinn next.

May I also suggest Michael Grant as I think that could be a really fun fight for Wilder.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Wilder looked explosive and confident as hell in there against Manswell. But, I had never even heard of Manswell before, none the less his credentials and record indicated he was a decent opponent.

The confidence Wilder showed is very unique in today's heavyweight picture. I like what Lyle is saying with putting him in there with someone like Dominick Guinn next.

May I also suggest Michael Grant as I think that could be a really fun fight for Wilder.
    Wilder will no doubt have to step up and hopefully it's before he falls in love with his power too much. He has to come to grips with the fact that he will not be able to KO everyone....one of these days he'll have to struggle, he'll have to fight the distance, and he'll have to be able to box for 10-12 rounds. Grant would be a good dangerous fight for him.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder will no doubt have to step up and hopefully it's before he falls in love with his power too much. He has to come to grips with the fact that he will not be able to KO everyone....one of these days he'll have to struggle, he'll have to fight the distance, and he'll have to be able to box for 10-12 rounds. Grant would be a good dangerous fight for him.
    Yes 24 straight KO's is good and bad. There are some guys out there that are simply too good or too damn tough to KO. Oliver McCall falls into the latter category, but I like that crazy SOB and it would be sad to see his record of never being stopped come to an end against a young explosive guy like Wilder, who could possibly stop Oliver at his age.

I read on Boxingscene that David Price is looking to fight Michael Grant on some shit card in Feb 2013.

Jameel McCline recently made a comeback, so he also would be a good opponent for Wilder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seth Mitchell, Eddie Chambers, Chris Arreola all accomplished far more than Wilder had, so far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaydarbekStraight View Post
    Seth Mitchell, Eddie Chambers, Chris Arreola all accomplished far more than Wilder had, so far.
    Evander has accomplished more than them all put together but I don't think he's better than them anymore. Then again...........

Yes 24 straight KO's is good and bad. There are some guys out there that are simply too good or too damn tough to KO. Oliver McCall falls into the latter category, but I like that crazy SOB and it would be sad to see his record of never being stopped come to an end against a young explosive guy like Wilder, who could possibly stop Oliver at his age.

I read on Boxingscene that David Price is looking to fight Michael Grant on some shit card in Feb 2013.

Jameel McCline recently made a comeback, so he also would be a good opponent for Wilder.
    Don't mean to nit pick but Lennox stopped McCall.

I think Grant is a good opponent for any up and coming HW. Look at the problems he gave Adamek, that gives the likes of Price and Wilder a bit of a measuring stick as to where they are in the division right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE PHILOSOPHER View Post
    Seth Mitchell is the better prospect, he actually steps up his competition and is starting to fight higher ranked guys.

Being unbeaten means nothing when you look at the level of opposition he has faced. He should be unbeaten because he hasn't faced a single live body yet and he still managed to nearly get himself KOed against a nobody bum in Sconiers. Wilder has no Chin. None. There is a reason he is 20+ fights into his career and is still fighting the dregs of the professional Boxing World in strip club-level fights in Alabama and that reason is his Glass Jaw. He is going to be exposed as soon as he's in with a B or even C-level opponent.

His management will eventually have to relent to public opinion and put him in with a live body and when they do he is going to be savagely KOed.

Forget him and watch Bryant Jennings.

seth mitchell has been boxing around the same amount of time as wilder and his team has him facing much better fighters, while Wilder fights bums.

Makes no sense unless his management know he has a good chance of getting dented when he steps up.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaydarbekStraight View Post
    Evander has accomplished more than them all put together but I don't think he's better than them anymore. Then again...........

Don't mean to nit pick but Lennox stopped McCall.

I think Grant is a good opponent for any up and coming HW. Look at the problems he gave Adamek, that gives the likes of Price and Wilder a bit of a measuring stick as to where they are in the division right now.
    lol Yes everyone knows McCall had a detox breakdown and infamously cried and quit in that one.

I should have said "never been knocked off his feet or KO'd", I just assumed people knew what I meant.

Point being that McCall is extremely durable and tough as they come.

Yes Grant is an underachiever for his size and talent, but still dangerous even at 40 due to that very size and talent. Seems like a hell of a nice guy too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok..he's the top heay in the US... does it really mean anything since no one else in the US is even top 10?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been thinking on a ancient brick wall like McCall. The way Wilder shoots his load early and lack of depth could be very exploitable by a guy who is the literal answer to quiz question "who has the thickest chin" and cold just sponge. He has the look of a guy who might gas being so use to guys falling over at first pressure, just focus on good-quality opponents and should get adversity and learning own pace and stamina he needs desperately.

Thread Information