Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do Hopkins, Ward, and Mayweather refuse to fight overseas?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why do Hopkins, Ward, and Mayweather refuse to fight overseas?

Ricky Hatton came to the US to fight Floyd Mayweather, even though the fight would have filled a stadium in England.

Joe Calzaghe had to go to the US to fight Bernard Hopkins, even though the fight would have attracted far more fans in Wales.

Mikkel Kessler had to go to Oakland to fight Andre Ward, even though Mikkel was the titleholder and the fight would have filled a stadium in Denmark.

When some people in the US complain about protected UK and mainland European boxers, it seems to me like a double standard. What about these pampered American fighters who demand home advantage for every fight against a decent opponent?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because they arnt real champions! Real champions and legends go abroad and fight the best in there home countries and lose!
    That's what a champ does.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because most of these fights will sell far more ppvs in the U.S than they would in the U.K. It's all about making the most money and money is made via PPV's, not by "filling out a stadium"..Also the U.S charge $60+ for ppv's..we charge £15+

Fights always make more financial sense in the U.S.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why do Hopkins, Ward, and Mayweather refuse to fight overseas?

Andre Ward worked with Victor Conte. For all Sauerland events, Olympic style drug testing is required. Did that have something to do with why Ward refused to fight Kessler and Abraham in Europe?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Because most of these fights will sell far more ppvs in the U.S than they would in the U.K. It's all about making the most money and money is made via PPV's, not by "filling out a stadium"..Also the U.S charge $60+ for ppv's..we charge £15+

I see. That's why Ali fought Frazier in Manila, and fought Foreman in Africa.

Ward-Kessler was not PPV in the US, neither was Ward-Abraham.

And PPV's don't necessarily make the most money. Wladimir Klitschko makes more money than any American boxer except for Mayweather.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post

And PPV's don't necessarily make the most money. Wladimir Klitschko makes more money than any American boxer except for Mayweather.
    but most of Wlad's fights are also on PPV and the Klitschko's are like Gods in Germany due to their association with Schmeling

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why should they fight overseas? Though Ward is a pansy and should leave his hometown. I hope Dawson mutilates him.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    but most of Wlad's fights are also on PPV and the Klitschko's are like Gods in Germany due to their association with Schmeling
    Wlad's fights are not on PPV (except the Haye fight was PPV in the UK).

His popularity in Germany is based on his being the heavyweight champion of the world, more than any association with Schmeling - he surpassed Max's achievements long ago.

His fights are watched by more people on IHTEP in Ukraine than on RTL Germany, as well as by millions more in Russia, Romania, Poland, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Irrespective of PPV, promoters want the maximum exposure for their fighters in the US, and will respect the desires of the American networks. The American networks want prime time boxing for maximum advertising revenue.
    This is why, in spite of being held in England, previous big fights have taken place in the small hours of the morning.
    This is why the US won't televise Wlad's fights. the cost is high, and the ratings are poor in the mid afternoon.
    Wlad may well be making good money, but he's the poorest paid undisputed champ in thirty years.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you're a big name and you have the bigger end of the stick like a Mayweather or Hopkins, you really don't need to go overseas. Why would you?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Wlad's fights are not on PPV (except the Haye fight was PPV in the UK).

His popularity in Germany is based on his being the heavyweight champion of the world, more than any association with Schmeling - he surpassed Max's achievements long ago.

His fights are watched by more people on IHTEP in Ukraine than on RTL Germany, as well as by millions more in Russia, Romania, Poland, etc.
    the Klitschko's popularity in Germany came long before either held a world title, and although both have accomplished more than Max, he's still the ICON over there due to his win over Louis, just sayin

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're talking about fights that happened in the 70s, man.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't read a single word anyone posted on this thread. My first reaction is to say, they don't have to because there is plenty of money to be made in the USA. They are also thinking about the home field advantage, the importance of which can't be denied and the potential impartiality of foreign judges. The number one reason, I'm my opinion, is that they don't have to. I don't like the idea of staying at home, yes the fans in the USA have a better chance to see a fight in person, but it adds to the argument they are being protected. After a fighter reachs the top, every third fight should be on foreign soil. In the end, it's all about money, protecting what you already have and making more.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    I didn't read a single word anyone posted on this thread. My first reaction is to say, they don't have to because there is plenty of money to be made in the USA. They are also thinking about the home field advantage, the importance of which can't be denied and the potential impartiality of foreign judges. The number one reason, I'm my opinion, is that they don't have to. I don't like the idea of staying at home, yes the fans in the USA have a better chance to see a fight in person, but it adds to the argument they are being protected. After a fighter reachs the top, every third fight should be on foreign soil. In the end, it's all about money, protecting what you already have and making more.
    What I object to is the American fans complaining over the years about Hatton, Dariusz, Calzaghe, Cleverly, Ottke, Sturm and others fighting in their home countries, when Ward, Mayweather and Hopkins and other Americans refuse to fight overseas.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why travel to fight if you don't have to? you end up in less than perfect conditions, jetlagged, eating food you're not familiar with, being led around places you don't know, possibly getting screwed by people you don't know. why not stay at home where you can control most of these intangibles?!

save traveling for vacations... so if you end up with diarrhea it doesn't cost you your title.

and yes your foreign opponents have to deal with the same risks coming to america...but thats the benefit to being top dog. you call the shots.

Thread Information