Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

No one is going to want to see a rematch, Kellerman.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. - Saturday night fight/chat thread

If one knockdown and a few shaky moments is all it takes to earn a rematch, then all we would see is fucking rematches.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, it's pointless. You win eleven rounds and that means the other man deserves a rematch? It's nonsense. It's one of the reasons I see no point in Pac/Cotto 2. It was never competitive and it never will be. Avoid.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    If one knockdown and a few shaky moments is all it takes to earn a rematch, then all we would see is fucking rematches.
    Razor Ruddock got a rematch vs Tyson for basically rocking him in 1 round, i wouldn't mind seeing a rematch unless Sergio Martinez moves up. There's not exactly big names at Middleweight.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sir:

he just spanked a damn cruiserweight and got caught with one punch that warrants a rematch?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    The 12th round probably salvaged Juniors career, Sergio got careless, and just about got KTFO.
    I totally agree with that but surely they will make a rematch because of the money.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

God don't bother with a rematch, Sergio will make him look like an amatuer again. So what, Chavez got a couple lucky punches through resulting in hurting Martinez, but that doesn't make up for how shitty he looked for the other 11 1/2 rounds.

Man did Martinez show heart in trading with the guy afterwards. I wish he would have held to give himself some time, but fuck, he showed a lot balls there.

Good win for Martinez, and he showed a lot of class after the fight as well, even giving Chavez his water bottle to drink from. What a great fighter, and a great man, no wonder I like him so much.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez speed and movement were to much. He's a great fighter. He didn't fight careless at the end. He was just fighhting the way that was winning him the fight. He just got caught by a fighter who decided to say fuck it and go for it for it at the end instead of just quitting. He might of gassed a little too. He wouldn't of made it to the end if it was 15 rounds. But it wasn't. So he gets the win. Which he deserved

The final PPV numbers will decide if there's a rematch or not

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wonder if Floyd fancies fighting Martinez. Martinez is going to want the biggest possible money fights for the rest of his career and other than Floyd what would be bigger than a JCC rematch? Can anybody think of anything?

EDIT: Canelo. Can't see GBP doing that one though.
    Last edited by Kirkland Laing; 09-16-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't believe there is any need for a rematch, but I do wonder what would have happened it Chavez Jr. wasn't sleepwalking for over half of the fight. I really thought his only chance tonight was to cut off the ring and let his hands go. Instead he followed Martinez around the ring and let him pot shot him all night. In boxing, you don't wait for opportunities, you make opportunities. He was going to have to eat shots either way, might as well use that reality to put yourself in position to win the fight.

Another reason for no rematch is this. If we take the 12th round and switch it with the fifth, would anyone still be calling for a rematch? It would just be "Sergio got caught early in the fight and then went back to dominating." '

And lets give Chavez Jr. some credit. I know most of us credit Sergio's arrogance for what happened in that 12th round, but Chavez had something to do with it as well. I have never been a Chavez Jr. fan, mainly because I think they spoon fed him opponents all the way and including the title he won, but he hung in there tonight, proved his toughness, and knocked some of that Martinez shine off. This was the first top tier opponent he has faced and he was close to knocking him out after arguably losing every other round of the fight. That has to count for something.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    The 12th round probably salvaged Juniors career, Sergio got careless, and just about got KTFO.
    I totally agree with that but surely they will make a rematch because of the money.
    You know what they say, money talks and bullshit walks, so a rematch will probably get made just because of the money.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez deserves the payday every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bcollins View Post
    Martinez deserves the payday every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    I hope he gets some huge paydays now, he's an exciting fighter, and a colorful one to boot.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rewatched. That was just damn impressive. I thought for sure his pucker factor would come earlier and not the 12th where he would stand and slug when stunned, glad it did not! He really psyched Chavez out, prior and during. Martinez is a compliment to the term 'Champion', and if anything Chavez will have learned more over those twelve rounds than he may have in his last half dozen fights combined. I don't want to see a rematch.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Rewatched. That was just damn impressive. I thought for sure his pucker factor would come earlier and not the 12th where he would stand and slug when stunned, glad it did not! He really psyched Chavez out, prior and during. Martinez is a compliment to the term 'Champion', and if anything Chavez will have learned more over those twelve rounds than he may have in his last half dozen fights combined. I don't want to see a rematch.
    Yeah junior was clearly a couple levels below martinez and I definitely don't wana see a rematch either, would be nonsensical, but as they say money talks so who knows...

Thread Information