Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who should Sergio face next?

He has plenty of options including a rematch with Junior, Golovkin, Geale, Canelo, Cotto, or Mayweather. What makes the most sense?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who should Sergio face next?

He's looking for that big payday, so i'm guessing it's going to be Canelo or Cotto. Those two would do some good PPV numbers. I would love for him to move up to 168 and fight Ward, i think it would be a great fight.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see Sergio fight someone else besides Junior, who really doesn't deserve a rematch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The hardcore fan in me would love to see Ward vs Martinez. I'd of course would favor Ward but we all know that it's not going to happen. They both don't have a big name as far as ppv attraction goes. So what makes sense or what's actually a possible match up would be Cotto. Canelo is 22 and I don't think going up and wait and fighting Sergio in his first fight would be a great move so that doesn't get my interest. Mayweather vs Sergio would be good but doubt Mayweather would take the fight. So I'll settle for Cotto... Lastly I won't lie I would love to see a JR rematch but not now maybe 2 fights down the road just because of that last round. You can argue that he doesn't deserve one but after nearly being stopped I just want to see if Jr can crank up the pressure earlier and get the KO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree. A rematch at the end of 2013 would be good. But until then, Double G got to get his shot and will give Martinez a headache. Jr can face Geale.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be awesome to see Sergio get in the ring with Golovkin, I think Triple GGG would put a whipping on Sergio and finish him inside the distance but it would be a great fight while it lasted.

But I dont think Sergio is going to go that way, a fight with Cotto would be good and I think Sergio wins that fight on points. I would also love to see Sergio in with a hungry, trained, and motivated James Kirkland. Sergio should win that fight but Kirklands power would make the fight real intereting.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland has no chance against Martinez. Kirkland can't take a punch. Saul or Cotto would be great. Better if those two fight each other then face Martinez after his hand and knee heals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland has no chance against Martinez. Kirkland can't take a punch. Saul or Cotto would be great. Better if those two fight each other then face Martinez after his hand and knee heals.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I'd like to see Sergio fight someone else besides Junior, who really doesn't deserve a rematch.
    Could not agree more. At least Charles and Walcott had a case with Marciano. I'd like to see him fight Geale in Australia and get that much close to full unification. I realize the chances are slim as most likely the governing bodies wont allow it but its ideal if one laments for unification and one champ in each division.

Floyd is obviously the biggest money fight but I think weight would really be an issue unless Floyd wants to emulate Leonard.

I think 168 is just to big for him so a Ward fight is off the table imo.

Think Cotto/Canelo will be next May.

Sergio will be 38 in February. Now I know he started late but he's going to wake up one day and just not have it anymore so I think he will make a concerted effort to get Floyd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't believe I'm the only one who voted for Mayweather. That seems like the clear answer to me (in an ideal world).

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    I can't believe I'm the only one who voted for Mayweather. That seems like the clear answer to me (in an ideal world).
    I voted Geale because I desire unification. The last man to unify a division completely was Hopkins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sergio is going to pick the biggest money fight. Of the 4 biggest money fights, I doubt Cotto or Mayweather would take the fight. I doubt Golden Boy would let Canelo take the fight. So I think Chavez Jr. rematch is what we will end up with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Could not agree more. At least Charles and Walcott had a case with Marciano. I'd like to see him fight Geale in Australia and get that much close to full unification. I realize the chances are slim as most likely the governing bodies wont allow it but its ideal if one laments for unification and one champ in each division.

Floyd is obviously the biggest money fight but I think weight would really be an issue unless Floyd wants to emulate Leonard.

Sergio will be 38 in February. Now I know he started late but he's going to wake up one day and just not have it anymore so I think he will make a concerted effort to get Floyd.
    why is weight an issue? Martinez has said he could make 154. He only weighs about 167-168 in the ring at 160 (which happens to be about the same as Canelo probably weighs).

168 would be a problem considering he is smallish for 160.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking Re: Who should Sergio face next?

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

why is weight an issue? Martinez has said he could make 154. He only weighs about 167-168 in the ring at 160 (which happens to be about the same as Canelo probably weighs).

168 would be a problem considering he is smallish for 160.
    That was then and this is now. It was 155. That is not Floyds style. If Floyd was interested in the middleweight title he would not ask for a catchweight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez-Cotto would be a tremendous fight, although the size difference would be a big factor. Martinez-Alvarez would be also entertaining as hell. Mayweather, to me, is not a realistic option nor an appealing fight. Martinez-Golovkin sounds like a hell of a fight. And Martinez-Ward sounds intriguing. I'd be afraid of a boring fight, though. Just a hunch on that one.

Thread Information