Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Punches to the liver

I want to learn more about this as it is a constantly exposed area of a major organ.
    Little is talked about how effective this can be, as it is an obscure subject I reckon it can be used to great effect.

Left hook/uppercut to the liver, how effective is this.

Anyone use this when fighting and previous boxers who have used it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Punches to the liver

Hi Boyla,
    First off, the liver is an organ that's on the right side of the body, primarily beneath the lower right side ribs. It's a target that's definitely been ring-proven to be a potent one to attack. The best punch to attack it with is a left hook, specifically a lead left shovel hook (i.e. from an orthodox stance), as part of a combination. The best punches to open up the liver for a clean shot are: 1) a left hook to the head, 2) a straight right hand to the head, 3) an overhand right to the head, 4) a right uppercut to the head or body, 5) a left jab to the head, and though it's not traditionally/officially recognized as a punch in boxing parlance, 6) a rear right hook to the head or body.

As far as using an uppercut (rear or lead) to the liver, ahhh, that's not a punch to use in this case because its angle/trajectory of application doesn't mesh with where the target is situated. Save this punch for the solar plexus and chin.

When I was an active amateur boxer long ago, I was primarily a headhunter (as influenced by Ali and Pryor, much to the chagrin of my coach). I mainly threw in body shots during barrages when my opponent was wholly preoccupied with covering his head from the onslaught. My objective for doing this was to simply distract his focus and draw his arms down so as to open his head back up for me to attack cleanly. I also occasionally incorporated them in two to four-punch combos when adamantly directed by my coach to do so.

Anyway, if you want to see some masters in action, go to YouTube and watch Micky Ward, Julio Cesar Chavez, and Thomas Hearns in action. These three had vicious left hooks to the liver (among other things). Heck, while you're there, check out footage of Roberto Duran, Mike McCallum, and Alexis Arguello too. They weren't too shabby either...

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would recommend looking at bas rutten on you tube. He is mma but this was one of his specialities (you can find a fight where he actually ruptures someone's liver) and some of his videos describe his technique and punching style (a sort of stabbing punch)

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In a clinch if someone is trying to man handle you one way, usually your reaction is to resist the opposite way and it turns into a tussle and eventually the ref steps in, if you can play that game but have a good ending in mind things can work out differently; All of a sudden go with their force (when they twist to their right and try to bring you off center, push with them and step that way slightly) they will react back toward center, slip their grip, free your left arm and adjust with a turn of hip and take the opening they leave under their right elbow. A lifting uppercut.

There are many different scenarios you can create depending on if your arms ore outside or inside the opponents,or one out and one in 'best for the above move', even pulling your lead leg back out so your weight drops into his arms then put it right back in there where it was, as you break free on his reaction and attack right within his reaction, it will open up some nice little pockets in his defense as he straightens up.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

check out ricky hatton and micky ward
    I can only tell you how i feel when i got a liver shot.
    painful as hell.
    Not matter how bad ass you are, all the toughness will have gone and you just cant stand up

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fact a southpaw leads in with the right side of the body and the liver is underneath the jab should open up some more thoughts on how to utilize that best.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information