Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez calls out Sergio Martinez for May 4 showdown

Its on now,

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez calls out Sergio Martinez for May 4 showdown - Los Angeles Boxing | Examiner.com

What do you guys think, and if the fight does happen, who do you have winning ?

Lets discuss.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez calls out Sergio Martinez for May 4 showdown

I think it depends on if Martinez can recover from a knee surgery and get in shape. If he can do that and mind you he's no spring chicken, regardless of his 'boxing age' his own physical age is 38 and you don't heal as fast as a 25 year old.

Let's put all that aside and say [he] Martinez comes in ready and can make the weight I would say Sexy Sergio would win easily. Saul has one glaring problem. He goes into a defensive lull for a long time. He's not really a pressure fighter and he doesn't have the chin of Chavez. His defense isn't that tight. BUT I do applaude him for trying to fight Martinez although it puzzles me as to why he's night fighting the winner of "Cotto vs Quillin." I think that's a more logical match up.

Maybe its just him postering, maybe the fight really can happen but its really strange for a kid who's really just a good contender to fight the god damn lineal middleweight champion of the world. Martinez is not a paper champ or a titlist. He's the Andre Ward, Wladimir klitschko. of his division. There is

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the barking is catching up with Alvarez and while I think some is warranted, I also hope he doesn't insist his way into a rude awakening. Right now Martinez schools him badly. Canelo needed seasoning and 'graduale' rounds vs solid and equal opposition earlier in career. Going in no one expected a worn Mosley, Alfonso Gomez or a 4th option in Lopez to give him that. Off of his recent types and a glorified sparring vs a jr welter...he should forget all about Martinez and focus on next 6 months. Its not so much Martinez but a needed step it up thing.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know, I think it would be a hell of a matchup. Alvarez can really fight imo, he is a lot better than Chavez Jr, and while he hasn't been in with any elite guys he's still better prepared than Jr was. The only other guy as or more dangerous to Martinez at 160 might be Golovkin, but this is certainly a worthy fight and kudos to Saul if he's serious about wanting it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is all posturing by Canelo. He made this statement immediately after Martinez decides to undergo surgery on his right knee. From Josesito Lopez to Sergio Martinez? His handlers would be fools to let that happen. Even against undersized foes, has Canelo ever faced a guy who can move?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I don't know, I think it would be a hell of a matchup. Alvarez can really fight imo, he is a lot better than Chavez Jr, and while he hasn't been in with any elite guys he's still better prepared than Jr was. The only other guy as or more dangerous to Martinez at 160 might be Golovkin, but this is certainly a worthy fight and kudos to Saul if he's serious about wanting it.
    Once in a while you say what I'm thinking. Hell, this is a fight every fight fan will want to see, didn't someone ask him to "step up" a couple of days ago. Maybe Canelo follows this forum, he's picking up English pretty fast so maybe he's reading it too--doubtful but stranger things happen. I don't think Canelo would challenge Martinez unless he was sure he could win, but you never know maybe the money, or the challenge, or the fans are what drives him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should fight Chavez Jr. or the winner of Cotto vs Trout.. then go after Martinez.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't see Golden Boy putting him in with an elite fighter for his next fight. I think he'll have one or two more against Kirkland/Angulo types to get him ready to step up. Meanwhile Martinez, Cotto, Mayweather all get older and more beatable.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I can't see Golden Boy putting him in with an elite fighter for his next fight. I think he'll have one or two more against Kirkland/Angulo types to get him ready to step up. Meanwhile Martinez, Cotto, Mayweather all get older and more beatable.
    I get the strange feel like he's a fighter seeing it-those pass him by as he stays on the same level in opposition and arguably taking a sideways though 'dominate' step in his last fight. That entire scenario was a mess. He may be bored and if fans are lucky he's having frustrations with GBP. But you just cant expect to go from the comforts of the neighborhood community swimming pool to the Olympic high dive overnight.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys are never happy, first you want him to "step up", but when he does you complain that he's moving too fast.
    Let me get this straight, now you think a steady but cautious advance is the way to go, right?
    You can't have it both ways!
    Last edited by beenKOed; 10-18-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    You guys are never happy, first you want him to "step up", but when he does you complain that he's moving too fast.
    Let me get this straight, now you think a steady but cautious advance is the way to go, right?
    Neither could Chavez jr. But in fairness Canelo and Chavez approach and professionalism couldn't be further apart. You can arguably say Canelo has never been tested, I don't think Martinez would be a wise first acid test realistically.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one would complain about a Martinez - Canelo fight (just Canelo when the fight was done )

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Neither could Chavez jr. But in fairness Canelo and Chavez approach and professionalism couldn't be further apart. You can arguably say Canelo has never been tested, I don't think Martinez would be a wise first acid test realistically.
    I hope we get a chance to find out, Martinez is starting to get the kind of paydays he should. There are some great fights waiting to happen next year, it's an exciting time in boxing.
    Personally, I think the steady but cautious advance is the best way, especially with a gold mine like Canelo, but he could look like a winner against Marteniz even if he loses, by winning a few rounds and looking like he's in the fight. One thing I'm sure of, is that he will do better than Chavez Jr.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez said this on his Twitter " If really Canelo wants the fight, Its easy, his promoter must reach an agreement with my team. I,d fight him tomorrow. "

https://twitter.com/maravillabox

theres a link to his twitter you might have to scroll down a bit
    “Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it.”
    - George Foreman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

*Canelo would wipe the floor with Martinez... Martinez was faster than Chavez and confident... still got knocked down... Canelo is faster, stronger, younger, better... there is no scenario where Martinez wins.

Thread Information