Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Miguel Cotto vs Austin Trout - Saturday night fight/chat thread

I like this match-up Saturday night, this should be a good test for both pugs.
    Dec. 1
    At New York (Showtime): Austin Trout vs. Miguel Cotto, 12 rounds, for Trout's WBA "regular" junior middleweight title; Jayson Velez vs. Salvador Sanchez II, 10 rounds, junior lightweights; Daniel Jacobs vs. Chris Fitzpatrick, 10 rounds, middleweights.

Unless he's shot after the fight with Floyd Jr., I've gotta go with Cotto, just on the huge advantage in experience in title fights alone. Trout is undefeated, 25-0 (14 KO), but he doesn't have enough power to cause Miguel any grief, and I don't believe Trout will outbox him. Cotto by UD, or a TKO in the later rounds. (I wonder who Diane will be pulling for? )

Who ya'll got in this one?

Last edited by Mars_ax; 11-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Miguel Cotto vs Austin Trout Saturday on Showtime

I'll be cheering my ass off for Cotto but I have this feeling Trout is going to win this in what some fans will perceive as an upset.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All Access: Cotto vs. Trout - Full Episode 1 - SHOWTIME Boxing

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Cotto's shot at all... matter of fact I think his career has been rejuvenated a bit with the presence of Pedro Diaz in his corner. Trout doesn't seem to bring that much to the table. I also see a Cotto UD or maybe late TKO.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I don't think Cotto's shot at all... matter of fact I think his career has been rejuvenated a bit with the presence of Pedro Diaz in his corner. Trout doesn't seem to bring that much to the table. I also see a Cotto UD or maybe late TKO.
    How long do you think it will be before VD shows up and predicts Austin will kick Cotto's ass. lmao.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    I'll be cheering my ass off for Cotto but I have this feeling Trout is going to win this in what some fans will perceive as an upset.
    I could see Austin boxing his way to a close decision win, but I really doubt it. I believe Miguel is going to be too much for Trout to handle.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a ballsy fight for Cotto. It's high risk. A fight I didn't think he would take at this stage in his career. Credit to him for taking it. A loss takes him out of the running for a Paquiao/Martinez/Canelo PPV.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    How long do you think it will be before VD shows up and predicts Austin will kick Cotto's ass. lmao.

No... VD won't leave himself open like that. He'll discredit Trout beforehand, saying he's a bum. That way, if Cotto posts an impressive victory, VD can come in and brush it off as meaningless.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    This is a ballsy fight for Cotto. It's high risk. A fight I didn't think he would take at this stage in his career. Credit to him for taking it. A loss takes him out of the running for a Paquiao/Martinez/Canelo PPV.

Trout's a southpaw and a bit awkward-looking at times. And he's got the size and youth advantage on Cotto. But Cotto under Pedro Diaz, to me, has upped his game, and added a few years to his career. Anything's possible in a prizefight... but I see Trout's chances as pretty slim.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I could see Austin boxing his way to a close decision win, but I really doubt it. I believe Miguel is going to be too much for Trout to handle.
    I think it was a mistake for Cotto to take this fight. Cotto has improved greatly especially defensively under Diaz but Trout is a real spoiler here.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing like a literal crossroads fight. I gotta go Cotto with big fight experience and his improved jabbing, just a deeper guy..though yes, a bit battle worn. A part of me didn't like the way he was talking in lead up, almost...almost sounded like a guy settled with one foot out the door of the game. He has to look at Trout as every bit a threat as a Manny etc. No tomorrows. Trout is a low key guy and a definite cutey style with the future at his feet. He'll need to step up in activity and keep his head if he hopes to win...not coast and leave the crowd booing like last time. You have to stamp out Cotto to beat him, be a constant. I don't think Trout has that from what I've seen yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll be at MSG for this one. My 4th Cotto MSG fight.

I think Trout is a very live underdog and his southpaw stance will give Cotto trouble since Cotto relies so heavily on his left hand.

That being said, I'm picking Cotto and you have to assume he'll get the benefit of any close rounds in
    NYC.

Awful undercard btw. Shame on Golden Boy and Showtime.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    I'll be at MSG for this one. My 4th Cotto MSG fight.

I think Trout is a very live underdog and his southpaw stance will give Cotto trouble since Cotto relies so heavily on his left hand.

That being said, I'm picking Cotto and you have to assume he'll get the benefit of any close rounds in
    NYC.

Awful undercard btw. Shame on Golden Boy and Showtime.
    You've always got to wonder too, how much Cotto has left in the tank after being in so many wars, but i've gotta believe that Miguel will have more then enough left to take care of business against Trout. This is by far Trout's biggest challenge, and Cotto has a huge advantage in championship experience and the competition he's faced.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm hoping Cotto takes it too but you're right, the chances are that Trout will win a close decision.

Cotto has been in a lot of wars and is probably too faded at this point, although a few years ago he would have definitely beaten a fighter on Trout's level.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just watched some of Trout's last fight on Youtube. He's fighting a guy who lost three of his last six and still didn't look anything special. Cotto has been operating at a completely different level and even if he is a little on the slide he should beat Trout.

Thread Information