Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has floyd fought a "good fight" in the last five years?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Has floyd fought a "good fight" in the last five years?

This isnt an I hate flloyd post!
    Since baldomir he has fought

de la hoya
    Hatton
    marquez
    mosely
    ortiz
    cotto

Dont get me wrong - winning all these looks VERY very good on his resume but thinking about it de la hoya pulled out an SD (i had it 7-4-1 Mayweather) but was finished a year and a half later

Marquez - Simply too small imo - however fair play for floyd not getting outboxed for almost any of the fight

Mosely arguebly shot at the time - no quips minus getting tagged in the second round when he actually showed amazing survival skills for someone hardly ever hurt

ortiz - well i thought ortiz was doing ok until round 4 but cant read too much into the fight

___

That leaves Hatton and Cotto (i remember when it was mayweather, hatton and cot to as the up comers! )

Hatton it is argued was not great at 147 and
    cotto I THOUGHT drew with Floyd (I know im in the minority) but lost his next fight

The trouble I have is I think his two best fights were against Baldomir (he was smaller and Baldo had beaten Judah) and against Judah who was pretty awsome in rounds 1-5 imo. Mayweather beat them both handily but before that the very good/great fighters he fought were Castillo (one contested loss) and Corrales (probably the best indicator of how good floyd is considering it was a 50-50 undefeated fight).

So i know this is a rambled post but I think Floyd really does need to go and find another defining fight - in my opinion to be ranked alongside srl etc.

Am I being overcritical? I cant decide! I hate floyd so much and would LOVE to see him knocked out but at the same time i'm very impressed, hes only ever had two/three contestable losses against a host of champions and he has never ever had a close fight against a non verging on great fighter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has floyd fought a "good fight" in the last five years?

Let me ask you this in turn, who in the last 5 years had a truly stellar fight record? I mean fights against people in their prime, no controversy wins or anything of the such?

I'll give you one example, Sugar Ray Robinson essentially made the Black Murderers Row famous because even he didn't want anything to do with them, he had on many occasions not even show up at the bout, he almost always tried to price himself out of many fights. But all that said and I done I don't think he fought bums or cherry picked his opponents. It's just that its their attitude gets in the way of business. Very arrogant and believing things should bend towards their will rather than towards reality and as such those previously mentioned events happen.

Long story short, no one in boxing truly has a solid resume of any kind if you look at it too deeply simply because what matters is how the man was in the fight not how he performed in the next or the one before.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    Let me ask you this in turn, who in the last 5 years had a truly stellar fight record? I mean fights against people in their prime, no controversy wins or anything of the such?

I'll give you one example, Sugar Ray Robinson essentially made the Black Murderers Row famous because even he didn't want anything to do with them, he had on many occasions not even show up at the bout, he almost always tried to price himself out of many fights. But all that said and I done I don't think he fought bums or cherry picked his opponents. It's just that its their attitude gets in the way of business. Very arrogant and believing things should bend towards their will rather than towards reality and as such those previously mentioned events happen.

Long story short, no one in boxing truly has a solid resume of any kind if you look at it too deeply simply because what matters is how the man was in the fight not how he performed in the next or the one before.
    I do get exactly what you mean I just still feel like he has not had enough defining fights so to speak- funny enough the only person I can think of over the lasrt five years (technically even though its not five years since he came on the scene he has still fought enough great fighters to have a considered steller record imo) is Andre Ward!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post

I do get exactly what you mean I just still feel like he has not had enough defining fights so to speak- funny enough the only person I can think of over the lasrt five years (technically even though its not five years since he came on the scene he has still fought enough great fighters to have a considered steller record imo) is Andre Ward!
    I'd argue Froch resume is as impressive, if not more (in terms of people fought, not beat and where the fight took place)

Who else could Mayweather have fought? I can't stand the guy either, but I love him as a fighter.

If he fights Alvarez in those next two fights he's planning I'll be very impressed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Froch and Ward have impressive CV's

The Super 6 got slagged off a lot but it's done wonders for the division, i think it's on fire and the top guys are still willing to face each other after the competition has ended.

Other divisions take note.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Am I being overcritical? I cant decide! I hate floyd so much and would LOVE to see him knocked out
    Hmm. If you scored the Oscar fight that way and thought Cotto won and Ortiz was doing well you must really hate Floyd, or be on strong medication.

You can pick apart any fighter's record if you want to

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Floyd has fought some good fights which have enhanced his legacy beating De la Hoya and Cotto at light middle is an accomplishment.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ortiz was dangerous and as good an opponent as any. Arum wouldnt have let him anywhere near Pacqiuao. Isnt Mayweather the only opponent he hadnt knocked down?

That Mayweather beat Marquez with ease is very telling too. There are alot of people saying now that he was too small but the same fighter fought again for the welter title and in most peoples eyes beat Manny and is fighting for the welter title again this weekend? Is he too small for welter or more realistically, is Mayweather just to good for the welters?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is too good at welterweight and light middle is a stretch for him. He probably will fight Guerrero at welter and Saul at light middle as they present the most money.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you define as a good fight?

Is it because floyd isnt cut or bleeding and getting knockdown?

Roy jones dominated everyone up until tarver 1..its the same thing.

All you have really done is paid floyd the highest compliment because everyone else would struggle with these fighters..floyd out boxes them.

Everyones entitled to there own opinion but the oscar fight looked closer than the cotto fight and on both occasions floyd looks tiny to these guys especially oscar.

Floyd doesnt need to have good fights he just needs to win and showcase his skills and avoid as many shots as possible.

Slyvester stallone is a good actor but not everyone wants a rocky match..ask the klitsko fans.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

de la hoya
    Hatton
    marquez
    mosely
    ortiz
    cotto
    Pac fought the same guys (almost). Your point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post

de la hoya
    Hatton
    marquez
    mosely
    ortiz
    cotto
    Ah, but he doesn't hate Manny and want to see him knocked out. It isn't an I hate Manny thread.

"I'm not racist but..." springs to mind.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthepen View Post

de la hoya
    Hatton
    marquez
    mosely
    ortiz
    cotto
    Ah, but he doesn't hate Manny and want to see him knocked out. It isn't an I hate Manny thread.

you're a racist? Congratulations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthepen View Post

de la hoya
    Hatton
    marquez
    mosely
    ortiz
    cotto

you're a racist? Congratulations
    Nope. Just a misogynist.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For fucks sake, would you Brits give Mayweather the goddamn Hatton fight?

They fought at 147. Big deal. So what are you saying? If they fought at 140, Floyd would be drained from the weight cut and wouldn't have been as effective?

They fought at a weight that was comfortable for both, that was agreed upon by both, and Hatton got his ass kicked.

Not Ricky who was going through drug problems, or Ricky who was uprooted and switching trainers. We're talking about 43-0 Ricky Hatton. Prime Hatton in top shape, with the trainer who brought him to championship level.

You all said his pressure style and body punching would give Floyd fits, so don't try to discredit Floyd for that fight.

Thread Information