Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How good was Edwin Valero?

I ask because I never had the pleasure of seeing him fight. I've did my research and 27(27)-0-0 is a great record, but not many "names" on his list.

I'm curious to how he'd hold up to the boxing skills of Ricky Burns or Manny Pacquiao at lightweight and would he even have been able to hit Floyd Mayweather at all?

I mean the toughest fight he had was arguably Antonio DeMarco who Adrian Broner just stopped a round quicker than Valero.

The sad thing is, I heard his name a lot when he was alive and decided I'd check him out later, I was wrong and that's still a bitter taste.

I'm not at all sure if this has been brought up before, but I'm just trying to gain some knowledge.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 12-12-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was Edwin Valero?

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    I ask because I never had the pleasure of seeing him fight. I've did my research and 27(27)-0-0 is a great record, but not many "names" on his list.

I'm curious to how he'd hold up to the boxing skills of Ricky Burns or Manny Pacquiao at lightweight and would he even have been able to hit Floyd Mayweather at all?

I mean the toughest fight he had was arguably Antonio DeMarco who Adrian Broner just stopped a round quicker than Valero.

The sad thing is, I heard his name a lot when he was alive and decided I'd check him out later, I was wrong and that's still a bitter taste.

I'm not at all sure if this has been brought up before, but I'm just trying to gain some knowledge.
    He was a very powerful puncher. Plenty of first round KO's. I think he won something like 18 straight in the 1st round and gained notoriety from that. He could have done very well with a punch that strong, but I'm not a big fan of discussing him after the wifebeating dipshit murdered his mrs, then lied about it and took a cowards way out.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand mate, I do.

But 1 thing I've always done is focus about in ring life of a boxer and detach from his personal life.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched him fight once, and I thought he sucked. Face first, wide open and right there to be hit, just swinging for the fences. I didn't see any style or class, just a guy swinging as hard as he could.

Boyle Heights, Lost City of Angels, Califas
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

27 wins 0 losses 27 ko's...nuff said.

But on the real...
    I think he was a skilled fighter. Of course you going to get when you're an aggressive fighter, but he had power on both hands, with combinations, and can fight going backwards. Hours counter punching was decent at best, but his power made up for it. His footwork was good if not better than what some people give him credit for. I think if he and pac ever met, that fight would of been amazing.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I watched him fight once, and I thought he sucked. Face first, wide open and right there to be hit, just swinging for the fences. I didn't see any style or class, just a guy swinging as hard as he could.
    I agree with you, he didn't impress me, until he started landing punches. He had speed of foot and very fast hands. He was also one of the best finishers I've ever seen. When he had someone hurt, he seemed to get twice as fast with a nonstop barrage of punches. He was somewhat crude but very, very effective. He was a natural.

With the Internet--FaceBook, Twitter and U-Tube--I don't see how it's possible to separate a fighters public and private life, even when you aren't that interested the info is still just a key stroke away.
    It's too bad he turned out to be a wife beating (multiple times), wife murdering, insane screwball. His wife was a beautiful woman.

A national hero, plenty of money, a friend and supporter of Hugo Chavez with unrealized potential in boxing and it all goes down the drain with one stupid act. I can not think of a bigger loser!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a murderous puncher, that much was obvious.

I heard that he used to be a MUCH more skilled fighter, but after his motorcycle accident he moved to Japan and started training in lesser gyms with lesser sparring partners, and his skills had greatly eroded to the point where he just relied on his brutal power.

Putting aside his unfortunate demise and unspeakable acts, he was an absolute warrior in the ring and always entertaining to watch.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

Had the pleasure of watching his career from about 2005 on and realized quite quickly that he was a wing nut and a ticking time bomb. Perhaps it was the head injury from the motor cycle crash when he was not wearing a helmet. I kind of felt bad for him while he toiled in Japan not being able to fight in the States or Europe. Of course Texas finally gave in after years of clean Mri's but they would license a two toed sloth for a fight.

Fun guy to watch. He could not box his way out of an open doorway but had a horse kick with both hands. A real game changer. I think his boxing was starting to improve and he was working on it because those around him knew full well that a punch only gets you so far. His domestic problems almost mirrored Monzons but I tried to leave his personal life outside the ring experience. I did end up disliking him for killing his wife and then himself.

His first round ko streak is impressive but its just a shade above Brunsons new record as far as competition goes but there can be no denying of his Jackson like 1 shot power.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

although i was well aware of his existance i only ever watched a couple of his early fights live that ended very early so i know nothing about him soz
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I appreciate all the info, as contradicting as some of it was.

I've heard that people (conspiracy theorists) are saying he was murdered in his cell by the police.

Which I don't believe, but even if it was true, after what he did..... Fair play.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I may add one thing and that is regardng the murder/suicide. What you must take into account is his brain damage, this was equally true of Chris Benoit if his name doesn't ring a bell, he was a great wrestler. Their brains were so damaged that after death when they were scanned under MRI it showed that they had as much brain deterioration as a 70 year old Alzheimer patient.

I'm trying to word this as best as I can but essentially the brain damage was responsible for the massive mood swings, the aggression, and depression. After all your brain governs all your actions and if it is severely damaged then the results can be quite tragic. I think the real culprit are the people that allowed him to fight when his [Valero] brain health was in doubt.

That aside, I think he had an underrated defense as he didn't really get hit that much.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    If I may add one thing and that is regardng the murder/suicide. What you must take into account is his brain damage, this was equally true of Chris Benoit if his name doesn't ring a bell, he was a great wrestler. Their brains were so damaged that after death when they were scanned under MRI it showed that they had as much brain deterioration as a 70 year old Alzheimer patient.

I'm trying to word this as best as I can but essentially the brain damage was responsible for the massive mood swings, the aggression, and depression. After all your brain governs all your actions and if it is severely damaged then the results can be quite tragic. I think the real culprit are the people that allowed him to fight when his [Valero] brain health was in doubt.

That aside, I think he had an underrated defense as he didn't really get hit that much.
    I'm willing to forgive anything but murder. Almost anything!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post

Not to disagree with you, but my understanding is that he had many Mri's before Texas allowed him to fight, surely they'd have noticed substantial damage?
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was dead good.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Texas isn't exactly known for its elite health regulations in boxing. That being said the De'marco fight wasn't allowed in the US precisely because the MRI tests showed that he wasn't fit to fight.

Also you have to understand that he really did lose his mental faculty. He wasn't bored one day and decided to kill his wife and child then off himself. His brain was do damaged, his depression so extreme that he really should have been committed to a facility rather been allowed to roam because he was a danger to himself and others.

Thread Information