Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Juanma Lopez comeback on 2nd Feb 2013 in PR at Super-Feather

Juan Manuel Lopez to return February 2nd in Puerto Rico | Boxing News - Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule, Rankings, Videos and More

Not a permanent move to 130lbs. He says he'll be back at 126. Do you think he can ever recover from 2 beatings he took from Salido? I'm glad the Gamboa fight didn't happen because I never thought he had a chance in that one.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Juanma Lopez comeback on 2nd Feb 2013 in PR at Super-Feather

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Juan Manuel Lopez to return February 2nd in Puerto Rico | Boxing News - Boxing, UFC and MMA News, Fight Results, Schedule, Rankings, Videos and More

Not a permanent move to 130lbs. He says he'll be back at 126. Do you think he can ever recover from 2 beatings he took from Salido? I'm glad the Gamboa fight didn't happen because I never thought he had a chance in that one.
    I never thought JuanMa would lose twice to Salido, who exposed his weaknesses. It's hard to imagine him ever competing at the elite level again, but who knows, lots of pugs comeback from beatings/KOs and win titles again, so we shall see.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 12-24-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daniel Ponce De Leon is fighting the Peurto Rican prospect Jayson Velez next, if he gets through that De Leon holds the WBC title, and Juanma stopped him in a round years ago. Maybe this could be a way back into title contention for Lopez? But I think De Leon would do better if they ever faught again.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not a big finger pointer about peds but Salido changed chemists. You don't grow a chin. You either have one or you don't. Lopez nailed him with shots that would have stopped a Clydesdale.
    A chemical break from the synapse or signal to rest on the canvas. I hope Garcia dissects this known cheater, breaks him down and melts him.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

I'm not a big finger pointer about peds but Salido changed chemists. You don't grow a chin. You either have one or you don't. Lopez nailed him with shots that would have stopped a Clydesdale.
    A chemical break from the synapse or signal to rest on the canvas. I hope Garcia dissects this known cheater, breaks him down and melts him.
    Well maybe Bob Arum should be an advocate of VADA testing instead of protecting his cash cow, that way his prospects will be protected too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's absolutely no evidence that steroids would "grow" you a "chin". That's just rediculous.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Salido probably took the fight out of Lopez but it is always interesting to see how fighters come back from a brutal beating and defeat. It will be a tough mental battle for Lopez to overcome but against the right level of opponent he can gain his confidence (and eye of the tiger) back.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still say Juanma vs Gamboa is an exciting, compeditive fight. Obviously Juanma needs to get his groove back first though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the guys done. Was personally never a fan of the guy because he had the skills to box and chose to slug with guys that otherwise had no chance. He's been clipped by plenty of guys and never once worked on any of it. I found it funny whenever he got clipped for hanging his chin out there too long because he thought he was unstoppable. You'd think watching his whole career flash before him so many times would make him a more cautious, smarter fighter... He was scared $hitle$$ of Salido the second time. You could see it in his face. He felt it coming and Salido confidence skyrocketed since the first fight. It went from being salidos only hope to salidos every hope. Gamboa had been licking his chops for the longest for a fight with Juanma too. I know the word "exposed" gets overused, but whoever said it above... had it right. If it had been Gamboa that exposed him. Juanma may have had a life after because Gamboa was that good. Now that its been Salido, every bum gonna be taking liberties by trying to swing with him and catch him with a bomb in exchanges. Juanma strikes me as too proud to think he did anything wrong...and adapt. I could be wrong...
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I think the guys done. Was personally never a fan of the guy because he had the skills to box and chose to slug with guys that otherwise had no chance. He's been clipped by plenty of guys and never once worked on any of it. I found it funny whenever he got clipped for hanging his chin out there too long because he thought he was unstoppable. You'd think watching his whole career flash before him so many times would make him a more cautious, smarter fighter... He was scared $hitle$$ of Salido the second time. You could see it in his face. He felt it coming and Salido confidence skyrocketed since the first fight. It went from being salidos only hope to salidos every hope. Gamboa had been licking his chops for the longest for a fight with Juanma too. I know the word "exposed" gets overused, but whoever said it above... had it right. If it had been Gamboa that exposed him. Juanma may have had a life after because Gamboa was that good. Now that its been Salido, every bum gonna be taking liberties by trying to swing with him and catch him with a bomb in exchanges. Juanma strikes me as too proud to think he did anything wrong...and adapt. I could be wrong...
    Salido was picked to lose both fights but he was never fully counted out, it was already known he had power, don't forget he put Gamboa on his ass pretty hard as well, don't know how you can say Lopez was exposed, exposed as what exactly? He fought top opposition and won titles in two weight classes before losing to the guy whose considered as the lineal featherweight champion. As for Lopez being scared of Salido the second time around don't see how, IMO it was the opposite, he didn't show enough respect and went guns blazing after putting Salido on his ass and gassed himself, slowing down and then taking too many shots then finally stopped with the big one that ended it. I've been one of the people who most has criticized Lopez on how he's completely abandoned his boxing ability and became too reliant on his power, in part cause of his handlers decided to pick a series of guys that would be taken out within a round, then bumped his opposition level significantly, he pulled off wins but would take more punishment or struggle just cause he wouldn't break them down, he would try to take them out with every shot and tire out, but would eventually get the stoppage or outwork them, you really can't call a guy who holds wins over the likes of Oquendo, Ponce De Leon, Penalosa, Luevano, Concepcion, and R. Marquez, a hype job especially when he stopped every one of them

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish Juanma well on his comeback... but I gotta call them how I see them. I compare Juanma to Cotto and I see some glaring deficiencies Juanma could improve. Cotto adapted his style over time to the fight and the opponent at hand. He went with a new trainer, who put some boxing bounce back in his step... which is how he went and avenged his loss to Margarito... and then gave Floyd a pretty damn good fight before losing. Cotto has shown his ability to adapt and go to a Plan B.

Juanma hasn't. He's got all the talent in the world. He's one of these guys with true knockout power and good boxing skills. But he has chosen not to adapt to changes. He pissed me off when he went into his rematch with Salido without a different game plan. Salido's a tough dude with a rock-solid chin. But Juanma's got the talent to outbox him. He chose not to do it. Whether it was being enamoured of his own power, or just a refusal to change styles... something did him in. I believe he said in pre-fight (rematch) interviews that he was going to use the same strategy... only harder this time. What the hell kind of a fight plan is that??

Juanma isn't done yet... but he's got a steep hill to climb to make it back to elite level. It's all in what he's willing to do to adapt. I know he and Cotto aren't best of friends... but maybe he could take a pointer or two from the veteran.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Salido was picked to lose both fights but he was never fully counted out, it was already known he had power, don't forget he put Gamboa on his ass pretty hard as well, don't know how you can say Lopez was exposed, exposed as what exactly? He fought top opposition and won titles in two weight classes before losing to the guy whose considered as the lineal featherweight champion. As for Lopez being scared of Salido the second time around don't see how, IMO it was the opposite, he didn't show enough respect and went guns blazing after putting Salido on his ass and gassed himself, slowing down and then taking too many shots then finally stopped with the big one that ended it. I've been one of the people who most has criticized Lopez on how he's completely abandoned his boxing ability and became too reliant on his power, in part cause of his handlers decided to pick a series of guys that would be taken out within a round, then bumped his opposition level significantly, he pulled off wins but would take more punishment or struggle just cause he wouldn't break them down, he would try to take them out with every shot and tire out, but would eventually get the stoppage or outwork them, you really can't call a guy who holds wins over the likes of Oquendo, Ponce De Leon, Penalosa, Luevano, Concepcion, and R. Marquez, a hype job especially when he stopped every one of them
    I'm not saying the guy wasn't good but he was exposed as a stupid fighter that would abandon his skills and advantages to slug it out and try to prove something. Like a smaller version of Khan, I guess you could say... I used to feel the same way about paul williams fighting like a short fighter than a tall fighter. All the speed and talent in the world doesn't mean jack if you're going to piss it away and swing like a hack. Stick to the game plan, execute it and whats the problem? This guy should be caught nowhere near a brawl but has shown if he wont walk right into one.. he can be baited into one. I understand typically people are using the word exposed for when the hypes taken away and you find the guy was more media than substance. For myself, i used the word exposed in this case on the a basis of consistency. Mean its not going to be difficult to recreate the circumstances under which this guy will fold. It's like when people say tyson was exposed by guys that showed they were weren't afraid of him. I cant really agree (not when it comes to the younger serious tyson-- the one that actually trained). You look at a guy like seldon, ... petrified... but a guy like larry homes wasn't scared... ruddock, or even those guys that tyson fought on the way up, before he had a rep. They weren't scared, because they didn't know they had anything to be afraid of... but how many of them stayed conscious long enough to prove it? To recreate the set of circumstance under which tyson would fold.. you needed courage, skill, a decent chin, a good jab, game plan...etc.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lopez is done as a championship fighter. And he knows it. It's why he's hoping for the Gamboa fight. To cash out. Seriously does anybody even think he would stand a chance against Gamboa?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Lopez is done as a championship fighter. And he knows it. It's why he's hoping for the Gamboa fight. To cash out. Seriously does anybody even think he would stand a chance against Gamboa?
    Lopez is fun to watch, always in a decent scrap, but I never thought he had a chance in that fight. When they were both undefeated, I didn't think Lopez would last 4 rounds with Gamboa. That opinion hasn't changed for obvious reasons.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Lopez is a spent shell and in no way see him getting back to 126. His fondness for give and take will see him in a big fight if all goes according to plan but can't see him being brought in as anything but the underdog aka name scalp.

Thread Information