Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Dan Rafael's choices for end of year awards

Fight of the Year - Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4
    Round of the Year - Sergio Matinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. round 12
    Prospect of the Year - David Price
    KO of the Year - Marquez KO Pacquiao
    Fighter of the Year - Nonito Donaire

I haven't seen who he voted for trainer of the year. Do you agree or disagree with these choices?

Note - Normally, CutmeMick presents our very own Saddo awards following a vote but for some reason this hasn't happened this year. Clearly we can't get the staff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dan Rafael's choices for end of year awards

Id say there pretty sound choices mate. Cant disagree with much on there. Its hard to disagree with big Dan as hes been in the boxing game alot longer than myself, so his opinion must be respected.
    Pleased to make your acquaintance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trainer of the year off the top of my head has to be Robert Garcia. Peace
    Pleased to make your acquaintance

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by paddy448 View Post
    That is the trainer who you would most want to slap award.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dan Rafael is a useless tub of goo, he deserves absolutely no respect imo. Many people who post on this site know more about the sport and are better writers. Having said that all of those picks were pretty straightforward, excepting for the round of the year. Why should it go to Martinez-Chavez Jr, just because Julio had him hurt after getting his ass whipped in all the rounds prior? It was certainly dramatic given that, but in the round itself there was barely any two way action. Off the top of my head I'd say at least a couple rounds in Rios-Alvarado were much better, or in fact the last round of Pac-Marquez as Manny was knocked out in the dying seconds after having it in the bag. The first round of that special FNF a while ago between Kim and Beltran was also great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    *why? they guy is extremily appoachable and trains kids on a daily basis. A friend of mine is frineds with him... i hear he's a total stand up guy.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Dan Rafael is a useless tub of goo, he deserves absolutely no respect imo. Many people who post on this site know more about the sport and are better writers. Having said that all of those picks were pretty straightforward, excepting for the round of the year. Why should it go to Martinez-Chavez Jr, just because Julio had him hurt after getting his ass whipped in all the rounds prior? It was certainly dramatic given that, but in the round itself there was barely any two way action. Off the top of my head I'd say at least a couple rounds in Rios-Alvarado were much better, or in fact the last round of Pac-Marquez as Manny was knocked out in the dying seconds after having it in the bag. The first round of that special FNF a while ago between Kim and Beltran was also great.
    I'm not crazy about Dan Rafeal and his Klitschko nut hugging either. But, he does break stories first and is a good reporter, if not a bias snobbish analyst.

Yes ! That was round of the year for me. Great round.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rafael, first name Dan
    Smells like peaches
    Not from a flan
    Needs a plan

The Walrus

Dry like Walnuts

Eeewww

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigstinkybug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    *why? they guy is extremily appoachable and trains kids on a daily basis. A friend of mine is frineds with him... i hear he's a total stand up guy.
    Sorry my mistake I meant Angel, Danny Garcia's dad. Robert is cool, i enjoyed his fights and he was in Donaires corner.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I'm not crazy about Dan Rafeal and his Klitschko nut hugging either. But, he does break stories first and is a good reporter, if not a bias snobbish analyst.

dan rafael gets any stories he gets because he works for espn. Not because he is a good reporter.

He doesn't go to any gyms to see fighters spar. He has no idea about tactics and small technical things that many writers have picked up by taking time to be in the gyms and see guys spar.

He doesn't have any clue about boxing history. To him boxing began in full in the mid 1970s in general and his knowledge of boxing before the mid 90s is rather substandard.

Have you ever read the Monday Scorecard? On at least three occasions over the years I have read the scorecard and it says fighter A deserved to win the fight OR fighter A was robbed. Then on his chat on Friday with fans he says the exact opposite. Why? Because he hasn't seen the fights.

I have no problem with him not having seen the fights. But if you haven't seen the fights, you need to cite the source of the write up, as it isn't coming from you.

When the whole PED mess was occuring in May-July of this year, he was passing off information that was obviously coming from other writers as breaking news. Isn't it funny when Gabe Montoya of Maxboxing (who was spending a ton of his time chasing these stories) tweets a link to a breaking story (that isn't seen anywhere else), that Fat Dan then has a blog saying basically the same thing is breaking news within 2 hours.

Never have met the man but he is an asshole in his chats and on twitter. He loves to rate the water pressure when he goes to other cities for fights. I told him on twitter that I meant no offense, but he needed to take better care of himself, lose some weight, and water pressure wouldn't be that big an issue. He blocked me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Fight of the Year - Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4
    Round of the Year - Sergio Matinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. round 12
    Prospect of the Year - David Price
    KO of the Year - Marquez KO Pacquiao
    Fighter of the Year - Nonito Donaire

I haven't seen who he voted for trainer of the year. Do you agree or disagree with these choices?

Note - Normally, CutmeMick presents our very own Saddo awards following a vote but for some reason this hasn't happened this year. Clearly we can't get the staff!
    I don't agree, with Sergio Matinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. round 12 being "Round of the Year", but other then that, I agree with Fat Dan.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

dan rafael gets any stories he gets because he works for espn. Not because he is a good reporter.

He doesn't go to any gyms to see fighters spar. He has no idea about tactics and small technical things that many writers have picked up by taking time to be in the gyms and see guys spar.

He doesn't have any clue about boxing history. To him boxing began in full in the mid 1970s in general and his knowledge of boxing before the mid 90s is rather substandard.

Have you ever read the Monday Scorecard? On at least three occasions over the years I have read the scorecard and it says fighter A deserved to win the fight OR fighter A was robbed. Then on his chat on Friday with fans he says the exact opposite. Why? Because he hasn't seen the fights.

I have no problem with him not having seen the fights. But if you haven't seen the fights, you need to cite the source of the write up, as it isn't coming from you.

When the whole PED mess was occuring in May-July of this year, he was passing off information that was obviously coming from other writers as breaking news. Isn't it funny when Gabe Montoya of Maxboxing (who was spending a ton of his time chasing these stories) tweets a link to a breaking story (that isn't seen anywhere else), that Fat Dan then has a blog saying basically the same thing is breaking news within 2 hours.

Never have met the man but he is an asshole in his chats and on twitter. He loves to rate the water pressure when he goes to other cities for fights. I told him on twitter that I meant no offense, but he needed to take better care of himself, lose some weight, and water pressure wouldn't be that big an issue. He blocked me.
    Hey I don't like the fucker either, I was just trying to be positive about the fat shit cat !

Your one man jihad against him is hilarious, but sounds pretty warranted if all you say is true.

The guy sounds like a lazy, thieving, miserable fat slob.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have never thought much of him either. Always struck me as a soap reporter. He gets cred cause he works for ESPN.

Having said that I'd give Manny/Marquez ko of the year and probably Rios/Alvarado foty. Salido/Lopez 2 rd 9 roty and I dont really like the way the mainstream anoints Donaire fighter of the year. It almost seems fixed as he's an Hbo/Arum guy. I also think Shields should get the trainer of the year.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always find myself on the wrong side of something, that's life I guess. I like Dan Rafael and I don't see anything wrong with his picks.
    The last half of the 12th round of the Martinez v Chavez had me out of my seat, it was truely gripping. Pac-Marquez 4's last round did not affect me like that, all the excitiment of that round was in the last seconds of the round.
    I like Rafael's pick for round of the year.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trainer of the Year has to go to Rob McCracken.

It's easy to overlook him because Carl was already a world class fighter, but he turned into a scarry KO artist this year and you have to say that this must and can really only be attributed to the training.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information