Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If george forman punched with Mike Tysons punching technique would he hit harder

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If george forman punched with Mike Tysons punching technique would he hit harder

or weaker than he usually does?

I think Tyson has better technique than foreman, his punches are snappy clean and sharp alot of the time, this is because he whips his torso into them.

George definitely has some whip in his torso as well but not to the same extent as Tyson.

Would George's power increase or decrease?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Foreman was tougher, had a longer reach...Tyson was just a short armed mediocre bully

job biscuit (thats all)!!!

eh eh!!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If george forman punched with Mike Tysons punching technique would he hit harder

is he coming back ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If george forman punched with Mike Tysons punching technique would he hit harder

No, he wouldn't hit as hard, but using his own technique however he did have more single shot power. Hypotheticals like this don't really work, as every fighter is built differently and has different ways to use their natural tools. Foreman was quite a bit bigger than Tyson with much longer arms but far less natural speed and slow reflexes. He never could've learned to throw combinations or attack in close the way Tyson did, it's no different than asking what if Tyson punched like George Foreman did. He couldn't have, there is just no way.

I understand where you're coming from though, as Foreman is one of those inexplicably heavy handed big men who seemingly didn't have proper form a lot of the time but still threw freight trains.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe I'm off but the first thing to come to mind is maybe Frazier comes the faster of the two and gets under George and turns the tables I prefer my Foreman the chopping wreckless abandon we all remember.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Otley View Post
    Foreman was tougher, had a longer reach...Tyson was just a short armed mediocre bully

job biscuit (thats all)!!!

eh eh!!
    Trev & Simon Savile Yodel - YouTube

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    No, he wouldn't hit as hard, but using his own technique however he did have more single shot power. Hypotheticals like this don't really work, as every fighter is built differently and has different ways to use their natural tools. Foreman was quite a bit bigger than Tyson with much longer arms but far less natural speed and slow reflexes. He never could've learned to throw combinations or attack in close the way Tyson did, it's no different than asking what if Tyson punched like George Foreman did. He couldn't have, there is just no way.

I understand where you're coming from though, as Foreman is one of those inexplicably heavy handed big men who seemingly didn't have proper form a lot of the time but still threw freight trains.
    Foreman weighed 217 when he beat Frazier (Frazier was 214) Tyson weighed 221 when he beat Berbick. Foreman might have been taller but Tyson was packing more dynamite

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Foreman had raw power to Tyson better technique, so yes he would have.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Foreman didn't need to worry about generating power. He neeed to engineer accuracy. He would been a fantastic Winky Wright.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wouldn't have worked for him, had he been hunched over and throwing all those short hooks, he wouldn't have generated the same power he did with his long rangey punches.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it would have worked for Foreman. Tyson was small and used to come in and leap into his big hayemaker punches. I don't think this would have worked for a guy the size of George. He punched pretty damn hard himself though, and didn't do too badly did he?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Foreman was a freak of nature there will never be anybody who clubs as hard as he did with both hands.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big guys with long arms will never achieve the hand speed of the short-armed guys. That being said, George had amazing power, even though some of his punches looked like arm punches. Had George twisted his torso into his punches like Tyson did, he would've literally decapitated someone in the ring, and boxing would've been banned for sure. (So good thing he didn't).

I'll never forget the right hand he dropped Michael Moorer with. It looked like George just raised his arm and dropped it on Moorer. That, my friends, is freakish power.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Big guys with long arms will never achieve the hand speed of the short-armed guys. That being said, George had amazing power, even though some of his punches looked like arm punches. Had George twisted his torso into his punches like Tyson did, he would've literally decapitated someone in the ring, and boxing would've been banned for sure. (So good thing he didn't).

I'll never forget the right hand he dropped Michael Moorer with. It looked like George just raised his arm and dropped it on Moorer. That, my friends, is freakish power.
    Thats also, a light heavyweights chin... What other world class heavies did Foreman KO in his comeback?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Thats also, a light heavyweights chin... What other world class heavies did Foreman KO in his comeback?
    Foreman was old and that was not his best right hand. He had freakish natural power, he literally smashed Frazier to bits with raw power. Tyson had better technique which relied on speed and precision, Foreman just hit and people mostly fell.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information