Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Earnie shavers really the hardest hitter of all time?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was Earnie shavers really the hardest hitter of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by TysonBomb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    How did Holmes and Ali take those right hands.
    great question mate--I am convinced that Holmes Ali and Foreman had the best fucking chins in the History of Boxing well atleast heavyweights. Thats the only way they took repeated eright hand Nightmare Missiles from Earnie.

Can you imagine the Klitschkos taking those right hands? hahhahaha they'd wake up in Kiev on a fucking stretcher with an IV in their arms.
    The wind from those punches would make Waldo do a 720 spin right out of the ring

And who knows how many cuts Vitali would have .. dude would probably looked like he was mauled by a giant Kodiak bear ... especially if he could barely handle Lennox Lewis's punches

yeah the Lummox had to hit you at the right angle or his power was mediocre vis a vis his enormous size and reach. If he didnt get that right distance for his punch to land at its fullest extension he was just a hard hitter and little more. If Big George hit you even a glancing shot or Rocky or Earnie you would be dreaming of Little Bo Peep.
    Haha yeah ... I remember Oliver McCall saying that Lennox had overrated power ...Lennox was powerful, no doubt, but not as powerful as some make him out to be

Here's that interview with McCall btw ... he rates Lennox as around the 5th hardest puncher he fought ... Buster Douglas hit harder than Lennox according to him

Boxinginsider.com: Who else was up there? Lennox?
    Oliver McCall: “No, Lennox wasn’t one of the hardest punchers that I – Buster Douglas hit me harder than Lennox did. Right hand.”
    Boxinginsider.com: How about Tyson? He has to be up there?
    Oliver McCall: “Tyson’s right there too. Lennox would probably be about fifth.”
    Interview with Oliver McCall
    McCall is full of Krap he could take a punch but both Lennox and even a robotic Bruno rocked him. Lewis was way more than he could handle and he folded. The man is just bitter. Lewis whilst certainly not being the biggest hitting heavyweight had his fair share of stoppages.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL Bruno was one of the strongest punchers ever and hits harder than Lewis ever could.

He hurt Lewis worst than he hurt McCall .. who seemed mildly affected. McCall probably has the best chin EVER for a heavyweight ... I'm sure he's more of an authority than you.

Lewis couldn't even make him flinch.

And we're talking about punching power, not who was the better heavyweight. Lewis had no effect on McCall. I'm sure he's bitter after easily KTFO Lewis with one shot and having him stumble all over the place . Lewis couldn't even hurt a guy who he pulled out of rehab to fight who had his hands to his sides and was taking clean punches to the face.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK and thats 5th place among heavyweights who fought in the brief period from the late 80s to the late 90s. Imagine throwing in punchers like Langford and Scmeling and Louis and Dempsey and Jimmy Bivins etc. I think Lennox would then come in 15th or so.

Sweriously some people like Jess Willard and Lennox were just really hard punchers having the 250 pounds behind their shots, I mean even a tree falling from 6 ft 4 inches high would hurt somebody.
    That's 5th among the guys McCall has fought ... and he didn't fight everyone from the 80s and 90s so we can't even say he's 5th among all of the heavyweights from the 80s and 90s, just 5th from the guys Oliver McCall fought.

I have no idea where I'd rank Lennox but his power is overrated IMO. He looks good against hype jobs like Michael Grant or guys suffering from local anesthetic toxicity like Andrew Golota but his power is not that special. Wlad looks like he hits harder.
    Lennox could smoke you but only with certain angled punches at the right distance of the extension. Marciano could smoke you period.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL Bruno was one of the strongest punchers ever and hits harder than Lewis ever could.

He hurt Lewis worst than he hurt McCall .. who seemed mildly affected. McCall probably has the best chin EVER for a heavyweight ... I'm sure he's more of an authority than you.

And we're talking about punching power, not who was the better heavyweight. Lewis had no effect on McCall. I'm sure he's bitter after easily KTFO Lewis with one shot and having him stumble all over the place . Lewis couldn't even hurt a guy who he pulled out of rehab to fight who had his hands to his sides and was taking clean punches to the face.
    Lewis was never hurt by Bruno and McCall was probably whacked on something when he broke down in the ring and also had more chin then a Chinese phone-book.

Not sure where this "right angle" nonsense comes from for his right hand to be effective. Anybody with a right hand like that looks for the best time to throw it, Btw it was a left hook that originally hurt Bruno and then a couple of right uppercuts that sealed the deal.

Lewis had the hardest jab in boxing history and being hit by it was like being hit by a power shot from other people and he had one shot stopping power. If he dropped that right hook on you at a 45 degree angle or a 60 degree angle 99% of people are taking a nap.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox could say it is harder to knock someone out with their hands down, not throwing any punches of their own and watching all the punches coming at them.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Lewis was never hurt by Bruno and McCall was probably whacked on something when he broke down in the ring and also had more chin then a Chinese phone-book.

Not sure where this "right angle" nonsense comes from for his right hand to be effective. Anybody with a right hand like that looks for the best time to throw it, Btw it was a left hook that originally hurt Bruno and then a couple of right uppercuts that sealed the deal.

Lewis had the hardest jab in boxing history and being hit by it was like being hit by a power shot from other people and he had one shot stopping power. If he dropped that right hook on you at a 45 degree angle or a 60 degree angle 99% of people are taking a nap.
    I'll have to rewatch Bruno vs. Lewis again but I'm almost certain Lewis was hurt by Bruno at some point. Bruno hit harder than Lewis, that is something I'm almost sure of.

McCall is a freak with a superhuman chin but he's actually the one taking these punches so he would know better than any of us.

You're getting carried away now ... lol no way does Lewis have a hardest jab ever ... guys like Foreman, Liston and even Frank Bruno who we've been mentioning had a harder jab than Lewis ... Wlad, his successor, also appears to have a more powerful jab. Lewis is getting overrated in terms of power.

I've seen interviews with guys like Holyfield and Ray Mercer and neither of them rate Lewis as the strongest puncher they've faced ... Holyfield claimed that Foreman hit him the hardest. Bert Cooper seemed to hurt Holyfield more than Lewis and so did Riddick Bowe. Mercer said that Tommy Morrison hit him the hardest. I know for a fact Frank Bruno will tell you that Tyson hits harder than Lewis.

Frans Botha also said that Tyson was the hardest puncher he fought and not Lennox Lewis

I doubt any of Mike's leftovers that Lewis fought (he fought A LOT of them) would tell you that Lennox Lewis hit them the hardest.

Lennox Lewis was powerful and had a dynamite right hand but his power is overrated IMO.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bruno did wobble Lewis, think it was a right hand mid way in the fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Uhm...LOL? seriously do people really still say that? I am quite aware of Big Franks power and consequently made no claims that Lewis hit harder than arry's mate. McCall was more than mildly affected by Frank and while never looking like going down was clearly rocked a few times. You want me to believe McCall the guy who threatened to turn Frank into a vegetable and make him pay for what Benn did to his friend McClellan ? Lewis hit plenty hard enough and a coked up Oliver McCall claiming otherwise is hardly admissible evidence when the guy making the claim according to you had the best chin ever.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know what you're talking about dude

All I'm saying is that:

- Frank Bruno hit harder than Lennox Lewis for sure.
    - Lennox Lewis had good power in his right hand but its overrated. His jab is also not the strongest jab ever, he has a strong jab but its not THAT strong.
    - Oliver McCall had probably the best chin ever. He took punishment from very heavy punchers and has NEVER gone down ... at best he may have been stunned. 300 rounds in sparring with Tyson. Fights with Bruno, Lewis, Douglas, Bert Cooper, a bunch of other heavy hitters and being able to last until his 40s without ever really being hurt. His chin is even better than Chuvalos who was floored before by Bonavena. He's literally un-knockout-able. He would've KOed Lewis again if he fought while not in rehab.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why would anybody consider McCall an authority on the power of Lennox's punches? Their first fight didn't last long enough for Lennox to get anything going. The second fight ended with McCall bawling and refusing to fight. Lennox was denied the same payback he got against Rahman.

Lennox often seemed aloof in his fights, and didn't throw everything with bad intentions. But he was certainly capable of the big, one-punch knockout, as Rahman and Mike Tyson can certainly attest to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Why would anybody consider McCall an authority on the power of Lennox's punches? Their first fight didn't last long enough for Lennox to get anything going. The second fight ended with McCall bawling and refusing to fight. Lennox was denied the same payback he got against Rahman.

Lennox often seemed aloof in his fights, and didn't throw everything with bad intentions. But he was certainly capable of the big, one-punch knockout, as Rahman and Mike Tyson can certainly attest to.
    He KOed Rahman with a two shot combo

Tyson was a zombie by that point and had taken 8 rounds of nonstop punishment. He wanted to get it over with.

McCall had his hands to his sides and Lewis just punched him like a punching bag. McCall probably hit harder than Lewis.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know what you're talking about dude

All I'm saying is that:

- Frank Bruno hit harder than Lennox Lewis for sure.
    - Lennox Lewis had good power in his right hand but its overrated. His jab is also not the strongest jab ever, he has a strong jab but its not THAT strong.
    - Oliver McCall had probably the best chin ever. He took punishment from very heavy punchers and has NEVER gone down ... at best he may have been stunned. 300 rounds in sparring with Tyson. Fights with Bruno, Lewis, Douglas, Bert Cooper, a bunch of other heavy hitters and being able to last until his 40s without ever really being hurt. His chin is even better than Chuvalos who was floored before by Bonavena. He's literally un-knockout-able. He would've KOed Lewis again if he fought while not in rehab.
    Thats cool I never Know what i am talking about ,I met Bruno Once and he called me Guvnor, nowhere near as big as I thought he was going to be but nice guy.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lewis lands some thundering punches

No effect

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lewis lands some thundering punches

No effect

As much as it bored me to tears, I watched the vid (again).
    I saw the following:

1. McCall dancing and moving away from the big shots in the beginning, lessening their impact.

2. Lots of arm blocking by McCall.

3. He had his arms down, but walked away a lot... and swayed at the waist, away from Lewis's punches.

4. Lewis, who must have been bewildered by it all, never went in full bore in an all-out effort to finish the fight. He may have thought McCall was playing possum.

5. Once in awhile, yeah... a flush shot. We've already established McCall has a good chin.

Sorry... none of this proves Lewis wasn't a big puncher.
    All it does is prove that McCall was by no means in the emotional state to fight, much less post-fight analysis of who punches harder between Lewis and anybody else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one said he wasn't a powerful puncher ... just not as powerful as some of the elites

And yeah McCall would know better than any of you. Lewis's win over McCall is tainted ... he took a man out of rehab to fight when he should have been no where near a boxing ring.

Thread Information