Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Earnie shavers really the hardest hitter of all time?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Was Earnie shavers really the hardest hitter of all time?

I always believed that he was, but he was fairly light and not that fast, I think there is a possibility that he used and had alot of strength in his punches and thats why all the guys he faced said they HURT the most but they might not actually be as powerful as say a Tyson punch!? (Which wouldnt hurt as much but was more likely to put you to sleep)

I look at Tyson putting away huge guys and then I look at Earnies KO highlights and they arnt anywhere near as impressive as in he didnt put away many big guys like Tyson did.

I dont really know though thats my uneducated guess, what do you think?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one will ever know.
    Unless we put every boxer that ever lived on that sport science program and test their punching power.

Even then, thats an experiment and wont take into consideration the adrenaline, fear and confidence you have in the ring to give you that extra bit of edge to push those punches.

Heavyweights will always hit the hardest but if you look at it from a pound for pound status who hit the hardest i would say a toss up of hitman hearns, julian jackson, nazeem hamed (sort off!).

Ali said earnie was the hardest hitter he faced so those words alone put him right up there when you look at who ali faced..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was Earnie shavers really the hardest hitter of all time?

Nobody knows

Unless you can bring a prime Shavers and Tyson back along with Foreman, Liston, Marciano and the rest of the big hitters and have them measure their punching power on one of those machines.

I know that Frank Bruno actually tested his power and had it recorded. Even stumbled on an article on it once.

The most we can do is make educated guesses based on the available evidence.
    Last edited by TysonBomb; 01-12-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    No one will ever know.
    Unless we put every boxer that ever lived on that sport science program and test their punching power.

Even then, thats an experiment and wont take into consideration the adrenaline, fear and confidence you have in the ring to give you that extra bit of edge to push those punches.

Heavyweights will always hit the hardest but if you look at it from a pound for pound status who hit the hardest i would say a toss up of hitman hearns, julian jackson, nazeem hamed (sort off!).

Ali said earnie was the hardest hitter he faced so those words alone put him right up there when you look at who ali faced..
    also have to factor counter punching, your opponents own movements for example weaving into a punch, etc. so there would never be a definite answer, and I'd put Gomez ahead of Hamed on the list though, just my opinion

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    No one will ever know.

Good post and I think its wrong to always default to the heavyweights. I personally believe that the stronger punchers throughout history are/were much smaller men. Knockouts just look bigger and most people including non boxing fans can usually tell you who the heavyweight champion is.

In addition its the when a punch lands which is what @ElTerribleMorales touched on. Most recently for example the punch that put Manny in a coma. Marquez is not a 0ne punch ko artist and yet that punch delivered in the exact same matter would have most likely stopped anyone in the division and probably a lot of people north of 147. Same with the Marciano shot on Walcott. That punch probably ko's Chuvalo.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes from what people that have felt his power said Shavers power was the hardest and some of these opponents fought Foreman and Fraizier.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say that with today's superior athletes, Earnie's power was probably surpassed by several guys over the years. As hard as he hit, to me it's hard to imagine that Earnie, at 210-215, had the same power as a goliath like, let's say, Samuel Peter, at 250-260.

But it's hard to argue his status when guys like Ali, Holmes, and other guys from that time period say he was the hardest puncher. For that time, I'd say he was the biggest puncher. His power carried him very well, because unlike Foreman, Earnie didn't have the best heart, chin or stamina.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OH YES HE WAS THE BLACK DESTROYER----

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How did Holmes and Ali take those right hands.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    great question mate--I am convinced that Holmes Ali and Foreman had the best fucking chins in the History of Boxing well atleast heavyweights. Thats the only way they took repeated eright hand Nightmare Missiles from Earnie.

Can you imagine the Klitschkos taking those right hands? hahhahaha they'd wake up in Kiev on a fucking stretcher with an IV in their arms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    great question mate--I am convinced that Holmes Ali and Foreman had the best fucking chins in the History of Boxing well atleast heavyweights. Thats the only way they took repeated eright hand Nightmare Missiles from Earnie.

Can you imagine the Klitschkos taking those right hands? hahhahaha they'd wake up in Kiev on a fucking stretcher with an IV in their arms.
    The wind from those punches would make Waldo do a 720 spin right out of the ring

And who knows how many cuts Vitali would have .. dude would probably looked like he was mauled by a giant Kodiak bear ... especially if he could barely handle Lennox Lewis's punches

Last edited by TysonBomb; 01-14-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TysonBomb View Post

The wind from those punches would make Waldo do a 720 spin right out of the ring

And who knows how many cuts Vitali would have .. dude would probably looked like he was mauled by a giant Kodiak bear ... especially if he could barely handle Lennox Lewis's punches

yeah the Lummox had to hit you at the right angle or his power was mediocre vis a vis his enormous size and reach. If he didnt get that right distance for his punch to land at its fullest extension he was just a hard hitter and little more. If Big George hit you even a glancing shot or Rocky or Earnie you would be dreaming of Little Bo Peep.
    Last edited by BIG H; 01-14-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TysonBomb View Post

yeah the Lummox had to hit you at the right angle or his power was mediocre vis a vis his enormous size and reach. If he didnt get that right distance for his punch to land at its fullest extension he was just a hard hitter and little more. If Big George hit you even a glancing shot or Rocky or Earnie you would be dreaming of Little Bo Peep.
    Haha yeah ... I remember Oliver McCall saying that Lennox had overrated power ...Lennox was powerful, no doubt, but not as powerful as some make him out to be

Here's that interview with McCall btw ... he rates Lennox as around the 5th hardest puncher he fought ... Buster Douglas hit harder than Lennox according to him

Boxinginsider.com: Who else was up there? Lennox?
    Oliver McCall: “No, Lennox wasn’t one of the hardest punchers that I – Buster Douglas hit me harder than Lennox did. Right hand.”
    Boxinginsider.com: How about Tyson? He has to be up there?
    Oliver McCall: “Tyson’s right there too. Lennox would probably be about fifth.”
    Interview with Oliver McCall

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK and thats 5th place among heavyweights who fought in the brief period from the late 80s to the late 90s. Imagine throwing in punchers like Langford and Scmeling and Louis and Dempsey and Jimmy Bivins etc. I think Lennox would then come in 15th or so.

Sweriously some people like Jess Willard and Lennox were just really hard punchers having the 250 pounds behind their shots, I mean even a tree falling from 6 ft 4 inches high would hurt somebody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK and thats 5th place among heavyweights who fought in the brief period from the late 80s to the late 90s. Imagine throwing in punchers like Langford and Scmeling and Louis and Dempsey and Jimmy Bivins etc. I think Lennox would then come in 15th or so.

Sweriously some people like Jess Willard and Lennox were just really hard punchers having the 250 pounds behind their shots, I mean even a tree falling from 6 ft 4 inches high would hurt somebody.
    That's 5th among the guys McCall has fought ... and he didn't fight everyone from the 80s and 90s so we can't even say he's 5th among all of the heavyweights from the 80s and 90s, just 5th from the guys Oliver McCall fought.

I have no idea where I'd rank Lennox but his power is overrated IMO. He looks good against hype jobs like Michael Grant or guys suffering from local anesthetic toxicity like Andrew Golota but his power is not that special. Wlad looks like he hits harder.

Thread Information