Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Golovkin is the future of the MW division!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin is the future of the MW division!

I have heard rumors that Pirog is partially retired or is retiring.
    He's not semi retired. He is planning a return fight this march i think. I doubt it wil be against GGG though who is fighting in march also. Pirog would be too rusty..

Gennady Golovkin - sparring stories:

"I was able to stave off my usual altitude sickness during the drive up to the remote San Bernardino mountain town with thoughts of all the hype I’ve heard on Golovkin in recent months. It began with a text message from Sam Garcia late last June.

“Perro is getting lit up in sparring by this Russian dude!” read the text message from Garcia, an assistant trainer for junior lightweight prospect Eloy Perez, who frequently trains in Big Bear.

“Perro,” of course, is Alfredo Angulo, the rugged junior middleweight contender who was preparing for his HBO-televised fight against Joachim Alcine last July when he locked horns with Golovkin at Sanchez‘s gym. Garcia later gave me a more-detailed account of the sparring session. Lightweight contender Urbano Antillon, who is trained by Sanchez, supported Garcia's story"
    A few months later I got a phone call from the producer of a Spanish-language sports show, who swore that he witnessed Golovkin "embarrass" Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. at the Wild Card gym during an open workout held for the Latino media a few weeks before the unbeaten middleweight pulled out of scheduled Dec. 4 card.
    A Wild Card regular who spotted me at the Alvarez-Hatton fight in Anaheim, Calif., this past March whispered that he saw Golovkin give undefeated super middleweight prospect Peter Quillin all he could handle at Roach’s famous boxing club.
    “Alfredo Angulo is a very strong, very competitive, prideful guy who has a great team behind him, but Golovkin is on another level,” said Garcia, who says he watched three sparring sessions between the two over the course of one week. “His strength, his demeanor, his skill, everything he did in there was just too much for Angulo, which surprised the hell out of me.
    “I’ve seen Angulo spar many times before and he‘s always the one doing the hurting. He’s so damn tough I’ve never seen him take a step back, let alone get hurt. I was expecting him to test this Golovkin guy that I’d never seen before, but ‘Superman’ was in there taking and giving, and he hurt Angulo a couple times, especially to the body. Angulo had to get on his bike against Golovkin, which was just bizarre to see.”
    http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1...untain-to-see-
    Last edited by THE PHILOSOPHER; 01-24-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His sparring with Alvarez:

Round one:

Alvarez began the session sticking and moving effectively. The young redhead was on his toes when he maneuvered around the casually advancing Golovkin, but he planted his feet every time he let his hands go, including his stiff jab. However, Golovkin picked off most of Alvarez’s shots with his gloves as he quickly cut the ring off, occasionally switching stances as he stepped forward. The 2004 Olympian slipped a beautiful left uppercut through Alvarez’s guard to score the first significant punch midway through the round. Alvarez loaded up with a retaliatory hook that missed and spun him halfway around. Golovkin didn’t jab much, but he landed it whenever he let it go. Alvarez began to look for ways to counter his antagonist in the final minute and scored with a sweet right cross followed by hook that shook Golovkin down to his shoes. The Kazakh just smiled at him, though. Unfazed, Alvarez stood his ground in the final 30 seconds and took a few hard body shots.

Round two:

Golovkin stalked a little faster while displaying decent head movement and a nice straight, crisp jab. Alvarez definitely felt the pressure as he gave ground without allowing his back to touch the ropes. He used fluid upper-body movement to evade Golovkin’s short power shots, which prompted co-trainer Jose Reynoso to yell “Bein, bein, muy bien!” from the corner. Alvarez landed a picture perfect head-to-body hook combination mid-round. Golovkin fired back but the kid leaned away from the punches. Alvarez tried to counter Golovkin but couldn’t get through the older fighter’s guard. Still, the young man’s accuracy back Golovkin off for the first time during the session. Alvarez followed Golovkin during the final minute but walked into a hard left hook that appeared to rock him with 10 seconds remaining. Alvarez didn’t return to his corner after the bell but instead tried to shake out his right leg, which immediately stiffened on impact of Golovkin‘s hook.

Rounds three and four:

Alvarez abandoned his jab and his upper-body movement and took the fight to Golovkin with both hands. Golovkin welcomed the aggression, easily blocking Alvarez’s punches while landing most of his. Alvarez sucked it up and even walked forward while attempting to block as much heat as he could, but it was clear that he could not match Golovkin’s strength or power. Still, the budding young star got in an occasional power punch whenever he let his hands go in bunches. His hook-right combination found the mark but his technique was not as tight as it was at the start of the session and his face was turning beet red from Golovkin‘s punches. The kid showed guts but he didn’t merit a single “bien” from Reynoso in the third round. He didn’t hear it until two and half minutes into the fourth round when he let loose with a blazing five-punch combination. Golovkin dodged or parried most of the shots but Alvarez earned his respect for the round.

Round five:

A tired-looking Alvarez resumed his jab and lateral movement to buy himself a breather. His jab was especially effective when he shot-gunned it. Golovkin neglected his jab and looked to counter Alvarez’s left stick with single power punches (the hook in particular). Alvarez did more moving along the ring perimeter (his back now grazing the ropes) than punching, but he got off hard shots when he did let his hands go.

Round six:

Alvarez caught his second wind in the final round, bouncing on his toes with quick one-two combinations. “Muy bien!” Reynoso yelled after Alvarez landed a right uppercut-right cross combination off the ropes. Golovkin grinned again and attacked Alvarez’s body as the kid tried to spin away. The both loaded up with single power punches during the final minute of the round.
    Last edited by THE PHILOSOPHER; 01-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=THE PHILOSOPHER;1127893]
    He's not semi retired. He is planning a return fight this march i think. I doubt it wil be against GGG though who is fighting in march also. Pirog would be too rusty..
    Are you sure? I read that he had a business in Russia and he was planning on retiring to work at it full-time.

In any event, he won't fight GGG until end of the year at the earliest. Quillin has to defend his title against Rubio, assuming he beats Guerrero. I bet Junior will face Macklin as a warm-up for Martinez. Martinez fights Murray in April and then Junior again in the fall (although I don't really see the point in that fight). Geale fights Mundine, assuming be beats Mundine, he'll face Sturm again, but this time in Australia. Thus, who is left? Barker? I just doubt Hearn puts Barker in against Golovkin. If Barker is going to get a big fight, he'll aim for Quillin, Geale or Junior. I really don't know who is left, unless Golovkin faces Trout or another big name at 154.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=Rantcatrat;1127906]
    Quote Originally Posted by THE PHILOSOPHER View Post
    Are you sure? I read that he had a business in Russia and he was planning on retiring to work at it full-time.

In any event, he won't fight GGG until end of the year at the earliest. Quillin has to defend his title against Rubio, assuming he beats Guerrero. I bet Junior will face Macklin as a warm-up for Martinez. Martinez fights Murray in April and then Junior again in the fall (although I don't really see the point in that fight). Geale fights Mundine, assuming be beats Mundine, he'll face Sturm again, but this time in Australia. Thus, who is left? Barker? I just doubt Hearn puts Barker in against Golovkin. If Barker is going to get a big fight, he'll aim for Quillin, Geale or Junior. I really don't know who is left, unless Golovkin faces Trout or another big name at 154.
    Dmitry Pirog Eyes a Ring Return in March 2013 on HBO - Boxing News

Demetrius Andrade? Even Alcine may be an option as a ticking over fight.There are still options even though fighters are tied up at the minute . I think GGG will have a major fight in 2013 it's inevitable.
    Last edited by THE PHILOSOPHER; 01-25-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    1. All you Golovkin fans "know a good fighter when they see one?" Nobody is disagreeing with that. However, he is not "super fighter" until he steps up in class and proves it. Some of us prefer actual evidence. His current record is not a patch on Martinez.
    I think Fenster is just upset because it's looking like Eastern european domination is about to begin in the MW division now too! This is what the future of 160 looks like:

Last edited by THE PHILOSOPHER; 01-25-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Thread Information