Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I've got a couple of Twain books, only Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, I've never got around to reading them even though I really want to.

I'll probably add them to my list of definites for the new year
    I would have figured you'd have been all over his books. I've read them both for school, but there's reading for school and reading for pleasure so I will approach them differently this time. Also Twain's autobiography I would have thought would have been intriguing to a big reader like you.

Salinger is one i haven't read before but upon hearing how fucking brilliant he was I am certainly interested in reading his works.
    I think that is the problem I had with getting round to Finn and Sawyer, I know that they were books that people read in school which kind of put me off, I don't know why it just kind of did.
    I've never been one for autobiographies either, I've read a fair few but I prefer fiction 99% of the time.
    As for Sallinger, Catcher in the Rye was really good but I think it is more for young adults but still one that should be read, I've never really heard anyone talk about his other stuff.

Saying that I was put off by Twain being school reading is strange considering I had to read 'of mice and men' in school and I loved it.
    El Kabong had to read English classics and hated every page of it. His resentment is why he hates us English.
    Come on now master, play nice.
    thus thread is neutral ground, leave your petty squabbles at the door.

I expected better from you

El Kabong Guest

Batman, I think a major reason why children in school do not read more is because they are forced to read a very narrow selection of books. I did have some books I read for school which I loved 'The Count of Monte Cristo' is brilliant for any young adult who wants to have a little action in a story. The books I read for fun were the ones which really hooked me though, 'Jurassic Park' was one of the first novels I read and man it was great to be able to read that and watch the film to compare and contrast. John Steinbeck's 'Tortilla Flat' was another one I read for fun and it's very unique in that there's great comedy in the story and the characters are relateable archetypes it's Steinbeck's take on Thomas Mallory's 'Le Morte d'Arthur' only instead of knights and royalty the focus is on a band of friends who are penniless, homeless, and yet still they live by their code.

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    El Kabong had to read English classics and hated every page of it. His resentment is why he hates us English.
    Because nothing fucking happened in those books. Someone gets feelings for a member of the other household, x happens and those lovers can't be together, they find the next best option get married, someone gets a cough and dies repeat like a billion times....it is bullshit! I abhor The Bronte sisters every last tuberculosis infested one of them! But don't you worry, there are American authors I hate as well. Zora Neale Hurston was difficult for me, Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible' was meh, Henry David Thoreau could be quite full of himself, Mitch Albom is a weird eared doofus who thinks he knows a bunch about sports.

But hey, I am not supposed to like anything and everything, I enjoy reading certain authors and others I dislike.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because nothing fucking happened in those books.
    You just reminded me of those Jane Austen books I was forced to read in university!

She'd spend 3-4 pages describing a fucking tree! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! What a bore!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post
    Because nothing fucking happened in those books.
    You just reminded me of those Jane Austen books I was forced to read in university!

She'd spend 3-4 pages describing a fucking tree! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! What a bore!
    I know right! I mean Herman Melville did the same in 'Moby Dick' describing the whiteness of the whale but the plot was exciting same thing with Brett Easton Ellis in 'American Psycho' in the chapters about Phil Collins and Genesis, Huey Lewis & The News, and Whitney Houston....but at least those were topics I could relate to "Oh I remember 'In The Air Tonight', I remember 'Walking On A Thin Line', I remember 'The Greatest Love of All'"

Jane Austen was another horrid sickly woman writer....BE MORE INTERESTING! You're stricken with tuberculosis, you are short on time....write with some sense of urgency God damn it!

Apparently tuberculosis strikes people in the third world and boring English women.....and Doc Holliday

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I swear to god Vidgil and El Kabong are brothers.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got 75%

'Literary Genius
    You've basically read all the books that exist.'

In all fairness the pictures of the films give away a hell of a lot of the answers that I didn't know

can you guess the book from the character

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[/QUOTE]

Finished this last night, a bog standard horror with clunky awkward dialogue, it was alright though, woman starts hearing the usual banging and scratching in her new house, then she starts seeing this crazy 11 year old Mexican kid with a 12 inch dick, she finds out her husband is having an affair, Mexican kid rapes her, her husbands mistress dies and the main character finds herself on trial for witchcraft.

It's part horror and part courtroom drama, the courtroom stuff was enjoyable but it wasn't all that well done.

The Mexican ghost kid was pretty funny, he is supposed to come across all sinister and scary but he was laughable, I just couldn't help but read his parts in Ren's (Ren and Stimpy) voice 'Don't shit me Lady, I got some stuff a guy game me. You come through for me lady, or I smear it all over my cock and I fuck you to death, you hear me, what I'm saying' that's not scary, he was more like a mighty boosh character

Then there is the lawyer who refuses to believe in the supernatural and paranormal and ends up performing a 5 minute seance/exorcism at the end of the book.

Massively ripped off Rosemary's baby at the end as well.

Not bad but not good, completely average.

I'm waiting for my next few books to be delivered at the moment so I might have to revisit something I've already read to keep me ticking over.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just spotted this in my book case

“There is nothing which The Metamorphosis could be surpassed by.”—Elias Canetti, Nobel Prize–winning author

Franz Kafka’s 1915 novella of unexplained horror and nightmarish transformation became a worldwide classic and remains a century later one of the most widely read works of fiction in the world. It is the story of traveling salesman Gregor Samsa, who wakes one morning to find himself transformed into a monstrous insect. This hugely influential work inspired George Orwell, Albert Camus, Jorge Louis Borges, and Ray Bradbury, while continuing to unsettle millions of readers.

In her new translation of Kafka’s masterpiece, Susan Bernofsky strives to capture both the humor and the humanity in this macabre tale, underscoring the ways in which Gregor Samsa’s grotesque metamorphosis is just the physical manifestation of his longstanding spiritual impoverishment.
    I've only ever read The Trial by Kafka and I'd forgot that I had this, I've never read it before, it's only about 100 pages or so, shouldn't take long but he's not the easiest of authors to get on with

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Moby Dick is a really shit book. You hear that it is so great and then read it and it is just a thumping bore. I haven't completed War and Peace but fuck that one too. Being a literary bore crosses all continents.

British 19th century literature had a lot of good stuff too. Treasure Island, Jeckyll and Hyde, Great Expectations, Dracula, Dorian Gray. All pretty fantastic.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Moby Dick is a really shit book. You hear that it is so great and then read it and it is just a thumping bore. I haven't completed War and Peace but fuck that one too. Being a literary bore crosses all continents.

British 19th century literature had a lot of good stuff too. Treasure Island, Jeckyll and Hyde, Great Expectations, Dracula, Dorian Gray. All pretty fantastic.
    The real life events Moby Dick was based on is pretty awesome....but then again 'In The Heart of The Sea' was a shitty movie about that exact thing

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a bloody strange book that was, I suppose I should have expected it with it being by Kafka but still.

Gregor basically wakes up one morning and finds he has transformed into a giant bug, his first concern isn't that he is a fucking bug but 'oh shit how am I going to get to work' he's quite a laid back dude to say the least, anyway his family turn on him and can't accept him, he spends all his time locked in his room and isn't allowed out, he spends his days crawling on the walls and ceiling until his family pretty much decide that they want him gone so they can get on with their lives.

It isn't so much a book about a giant bug but more a look at how close relatives opinions can change towards someone who is ill and needs constant care, almost as if the bug represents someone with dementia or alzheimer's, you know the person is in there but you have no way of reaching or communicating with them and the amount of care that they require is a constant source of stress.

Really good book and quite humorous in parts.

El Kabong Guest

I'm reading 'Pure Dynamite' which is an autobiography of Tom Billington 'The Dynamite Kid' who was a great wrestler in the 1980's. It's interesting reading more so in that you get the back story, the behind the scenes dirt...it's not a cerebral read, but come on it was never going to be. Tom Billington was supposed to be one of the biggest assholes in all of wrestling, but so far (and I'm early on in the book) everything he's done seems understandable to a certain extent. He's pulled some tough pranks but mostly in retaliation, and he's only had fights or arguments with people who owed him money, reneged on promises, or attempted to ride his coattails. Apparently his cousin Davey Boy Smith was the bigger asshole in that he was big time riding on the coattails and he was very unappreciative of that too.

Dynamite was one of my favorite wrestlers when I was growing up as well which is why I'm reading the book a tiny bit of nostalgia for myself.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've not had the chance to read anything in the last 2 weeks because of moving out, I'm hoping to get back to it now that I've got everything all sorted

El Kabong Guest

Recently in the news here in the United States a The Accomack County Public Schools in Virginia have banned Mark Twain's 'Huckleberry Finn' and Harper Lee's 'To Kill A Mockingbird' because the books have racial slurs in them......

....fucking ridiculous it's as if the person/people who made the final call on those books had not read those books at all or knew anything about them

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm reading 'Pure Dynamite' which is an autobiography of Tom Billington 'The Dynamite Kid' who was a great wrestler in the 1980's. It's interesting reading more so in that you get the back story, the behind the scenes dirt...it's not a cerebral read, but come on it was never going to be. Tom Billington was supposed to be one of the biggest assholes in all of wrestling, but so far (and I'm early on in the book) everything he's done seems understandable to a certain extent. He's pulled some tough pranks but mostly in retaliation, and he's only had fights or arguments with people who owed him money, reneged on promises, or attempted to ride his coattails. Apparently his cousin Davey Boy Smith was the bigger asshole in that he was big time riding on the coattails and he was very unappreciative of that too.

Dynamite was one of my favorite wrestlers when I was growing up as well which is why I'm reading the book a tiny bit of nostalgia for myself.
    I watched him as a kid on TV, did you watch British wrestling too?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information