Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I went to the opticians for an eye test today, I've been getting pretty bad headaches, I thought it was just my eyes disintegrating at the same rate as the rest of my body.

Apparently my eye sight ain't all that bad (surprising as I'm blind as a cunt with out my glasses) and even after 6 years I don't need to get a new pair or anything, my eye sight is just a good/bad as it was 6 years ago.

I told her about the headaches and she asked me what I do at work, I told her that I sit in front of a computer all day, she asked what I do when I get home and hobbies and shit, I told her that I read a lot and usually do a book or two a week and when I ain't reading I'm playing the piano, she asked me how much telly I watch, I told her I watch probably half an hour a night when I get in from work, she told me that maybe I should watch more TV because it isn't as stressful on the eyes...not happy with the outcome of that opticians appointment...
    Hahaha, did she suggest any specific programs? HAHAHAHA

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I went to the opticians for an eye test today, I've been getting pretty bad headaches, I thought it was just my eyes disintegrating at the same rate as the rest of my body.

Apparently my eye sight ain't all that bad (surprising as I'm blind as a cunt with out my glasses) and even after 6 years I don't need to get a new pair or anything, my eye sight is just a good/bad as it was 6 years ago.

I told her about the headaches and she asked me what I do at work, I told her that I sit in front of a computer all day, she asked what I do when I get home and hobbies and shit, I told her that I read a lot and usually do a book or two a week and when I ain't reading I'm playing the piano, she asked me how much telly I watch, I told her I watch probably half an hour a night when I get in from work, she told me that maybe I should watch more TV because it isn't as stressful on the eyes...not happy with the outcome of that opticians appointment...
    You need to watch more Boxing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

She didn't but I think that people are quite taken by TOWIE, Big Brother, The Jungle get me out of here, The geordie thing, The bake off, and Hollyoaks, I might start watching all of them...or I might just slit my throat, I haven't decided yet.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just finished this, good book I really enjoyed it, the first 100/150 pages were just so so, plodding along, nothing really happening, it is 50% flashbacks but to be honest not a lot happens in either of the timelines, once you hit the half way mark though the fact that nothing is really happening seemed to stop bothering me and I was just enjoying the book.

I reckon this is one of them books that I won't realize how much I enjoyed it until I think back on it in a few months time.

I've got 3 other books to get started on, I can only remember the one of them, I haven't got a clue what the other 2 are and I can't even remember ordering one of them (probably another drunk purchase, I've made a few of them in the past and they normally end up being pretty good)

anyways I suppose I'll start on this one next

It began as a mistake. By middle age, Henry Chinaski has lost more than twelve years of his life to the U.S. Postal Service. In a world where his three true, bitter pleasures are women, booze, and racetrack betting, he somehow drags his hangover out of bed every dawn to lug waterlogged mailbags up mud-soaked mountains, outsmart vicious guard dogs, and pray to survive the day-to-day trials of sadistic bosses and certifiable coworkers. This classic 1971 novel--the one that catapulted its author to national fame--is the perfect introduction to the grimly hysterical world of legendary writer, poet, and Dirty Old Man Charles Bukowski and his fictional alter ego, Chinaski.
    I'm hoping this is going to be nice and easy because I have got my eye on 3 or 4 books that are going to be pretty fucking tough going I think, I'm going to enjoy the simple reads for the minute

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blimey I could have written this myself, Chinaski gets a job at a post office, throughout his time there he drinks a hell of a lot and hates his job, no real major events in his life and the events that do take place he seems to be nonplussed about, 17 years pass and nothing at all has changed in his life except he is 17 years older and still in the same job.

Pretty much mirrors my own life except I've been there for 13 years and I don't drink as much as I used to.

That really doesn't make a fantastic book though.

I think I fancy some science next so I'm gunna get started on this

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ordered this today

The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist.

What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There’s no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson.

But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in tasty chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day.

While you wait for your morning coffee to brew, for the bus, the train, or a plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson is a fucking legend so when I saw that he had released a new book I had to get it, I've not read any of his previous books but I have spent countless hours watching all of his YouTube videos and documentaries.
    I'm becoming a geek in a big way and since one of my mates borrowed A Brief History of Time and then decided to fuck off to the other side of the country without returning it this should be a good replacement, I'm looking forward to getting this one.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Blimey I could have written this myself, Chinaski gets a job at a post office, throughout his time there he drinks a hell of a lot and hates his job, no real major events in his life and the events that do take place he seems to be nonplussed about, 17 years pass and nothing at all has changed in his life except he is 17 years older and still in the same job.

Pretty much mirrors my own life except I've been there for 13 years and I don't drink as much as I used to.

Lyle, turned me onto Bukowski and I think it is really good writing. Sure, nothing happens, but it is a profound mundanity written in such an odd, funny way. The simplicity of the writing is an art form in itself. I respect someone like Dickens but he sure could waffle on, on the other hand Bukowski is clipped, sharp and concise. It's good writing. Easy book to read too, you can read it in a couple of evenings.

I am reading a book about Elvis called Memphis Mafia. Elvis was one of those icons like Marilyn. On the surface wholesome and very apple pie, but underneath some really fucked up shit going on. I find that very interesting and want to know more.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Lyle, turned me onto Bukowski and I think it is really good writing. Sure, nothing happens, but it is a profound mundanity written in such an odd, funny way. The simplicity of the writing is an art form in itself. I respect someone like Dickens but he sure could waffle on, on the other hand Bukowski is clipped, sharp and concise. It's good writing. Easy book to read too, you can read it in a couple of evenings.
    Oh I appreciate the style and it was an extremely easy read, I was just expecting a bit more of an insight into the main characters thinking and feelings, especially as it was autobiographical.
    To be honest the book had a great chance to show a real grimy depressing side of the main character it kind of just skimmed over it.

I might read some of his other books but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy them and putting them to the top of my 'to read' list.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Oh I appreciate the style and it was an extremely easy read, I was just expecting a bit more of an insight into the main characters thinking and feelings, especially as it was autobiographical.
    To be honest the book had a great chance to show a real grimy depressing side of the main character it kind of just skimmed over it.

I might read some of his other books but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy them and putting them to the top of my 'to read' list.
    If you want to give yourself a mental workout then Umberto Eco for me is always a bit of a challenge. I read "The Prague Cemetery" on Nameless or killersheeps recommendation and it was hard work but worth it.

Updike's "Rabbit" novels are sort of the other end of the spectrum, and much like a meditation. Never read anyone like him. Quite brilliant in how he makes something in which little happens so engrossing and powerful.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers, I've added The Prague Cemetery to my list (My Goodreads 'To Read' list is at 170 books now)

I've got two books sitting down waiting for me to get started on (just mish mash brain dead thriller sort of books I think they are)
    Then I've got my eye on a few gothic books from the 1800's I'm looking at Zoflya by Charlotte Dacre, Bruge La-Morte by Georges Rodenbach and Vathek by William Beckford

I will need to get them off Amazon though, Waterstones don't have them in stock at the minute.

I've got a few that have been sitting on my book case for a few years and I have just never managed to get around to them.

I'm up to page 60 of my Aliens book at the minute, it's pretty fascinating, the whole book is made up essays from different experts, it isn't just saying 'THEY ARE OUT THEIR AND THEY ARE COMING' it goes into the science that is being used to look for them, looking into the reason why it is unlikely that they would try and contact us (if they were more technologically advanced than us in the first place)

It's just had a really good chapter on the consciousness of the Octopus and how that is a kind of focal point of just how vastly difference physical and mental appearance can be

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

finished this, fantastic book, I have to admit I always subscribed to the theory that it was arrogant to assume that we were the only planet that harbors life due to the size of the universe but one dude puts forward an argument that made me realize just how wrong I could be

say there are 400 billion stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, suppose life's origin needs a specific sequence of ten critical precise chemical reactions (an underestimate) and each one has a probability of occurring in the habitability window of, say, one in a hundred then the combined probability for all ten steps to occur is one in a hundred billion billion, that would leave the odds of life in the Milky Way pretty low.

There is also mention of the zero one infinity rule which I've read about before, basically the only three numbers that matter in anything are zero one infinity

its an interesting book man, I got a bit bogged down with the repetition in the final third of it but still great, I'll probably just return to this every now and again and read a chapter whilst I'm on the shitter, there is a lot of info to take in after just one read

I'll be starting this soon, I might take a few days off from the books, I've been hammering them for a while now

In the city that’s become a symbol for the death of the American dream, a nightmare killer is unravelling reality. The new thriller from Lauren Beukes, author of The Shining Girls.

Detective Gabi Versado has hunted down many monsters during her eight years in Homicide. She’s seen stupidity, corruption and just plain badness. But she’s never seen anything like this.

Clayton Broom is a failed artist, and a broken man. Life destroyed his plans, so he’s found new dreams – of flesh and bone made disturbingly, beautifully real.

Detroit is the decaying corpse of the American Dream. Motor-city. Murder-city. And home to a killer opening doors into the dark heart of humanity.

A killer who wants to make you whole again…

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

She didn't but I think that people are quite taken by TOWIE, Big Brother, The Jungle get me out of here, The geordie thing, The bake off, and Hollyoaks, I might start watching all of them...or I might just slit my throat, I haven't decided yet.
    Throat sliting it better, but carry on reading and lose your eyesight. Listen to good music then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am reading this book about Steve Jobs at the moment. Great person, interesting but not easy life...

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've not even looked at a book in the last week or 2, I think that work has been absolutely frazzling my brain, I'm well ahead on my reading goal for the year anyway so I might take the rest of this week off and then get started again

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've not even looked at a book in the last week or 2, I think that work has been absolutely frazzling my brain, I'm well ahead on my reading goal for the year anyway so I might take the rest of this week off and then get started again
    @Batman you ever read mans search for meaning by victor frankel. He survived auschwitz. He was a doctor and when he came out he developed logo therapy which is a school of psychiatry. It's a fascinating book that I used to read once a year

Thread Information