Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

JK Rowling has just been on the radio talking about the 20th anniversary of the first Harry Potter book.

I seriously doubt if anybody has made such a career of milking one small wizard since Debbie McGee.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

last couple of books that I have read

In the city that’s become a symbol for the death of the American dream, a nightmare killer is unravelling reality. The new thriller from Lauren Beukes, author of The Shining Girls.

Detective Gabi Versado has hunted down many monsters during her eight years in Homicide. She’s seen stupidity, corruption and just plain badness. But she’s never seen anything like this.

Clayton Broom is a failed artist, and a broken man. Life destroyed his plans, so he’s found new dreams – of flesh and bone made disturbingly, beautifully real.

Detroit is the decaying corpse of the American Dream. Motor-city. Murder-city. And home to a killer opening doors into the dark heart of humanity.

A killer who wants to make you whole again…
    Decent book this was, it started off as a really good crime thriller sort of thing and then descended into absolute chaotic twilight zone sci-fi gibberish which threatened to ruin the whole thing.
    All of the characters were telegraphed and massively cliched, you had the tough single mom, the little shit of a teen daughter who gets into trouble all the time, the hard ass black fella who has a heart of gold, the down on his look journalist who will do anything to make it to the big time.

It should have been a snooze fest but the dialogue between the characters was fantastic and it saved it, the final third of the book really tries to ram home the dangers of social media and show how reliant we all are on it, I didn't get that at all and thought it wasn't needed but that's probably because I don't use any social media at all.

A brutal triple murder in a remote Scottish farming community in 1869 leads to the arrest of seventeen-year-old Roderick Macrae. There is no question that Macrae committed this terrible act. What would lead such a shy and intelligent boy down this bloody path? Will he hang for his crime?

Presented as a collection of documents discovered by the author, His Bloody Project opens with a series of police statements taken from the villagers of Culdie, Ross-shire. They offer conflicting impressions of the accused; one interviewee recalls Macrae as a gentle and quiet child, while another details him as evil and wicked. Chief among the papers is Roderick Macrae’s own memoirs, where he outlines the series of events leading up to the murder in eloquent and affectless prose. There follow medical reports, psychological evaluations, a courtroom transcript from the trial, and other documents that throw both Macrae’s motive and his sanity into question. Graeme Macrae Burnet’s multilayered narrative will keep the reader guessing to the very end.
    This was fucking brilliant, I love books from the era that this is set in and the writing style is perfect although the fact it was only wrote 2 years ago makes it a helluva lot less dense and wordy as books from the late 18's or early 19's but it doesn't lose any of the feeling or athmosphere of these sorts of books.

The blurb says that it will leave you guessing to the very end and it certainly did, fucking fantastic book, it certainly reminded me a little of 'confessions of a justified sinner' (I think I mentioned reading that a few months back) so that sat well with me.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have just got Carl Froch book from the library will let you know how I get on with it.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I have just got Carl Froch book from the library will let you know how I get on with it.
    I heard it was 80,000 pages long and published in Wembley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I heard it was 80,000 pages long and published in Wembley
    I am sure that will come up somewhere in the book.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next book that I'm going to get started on this, I've gotta get it finished by 8th September when the film comes out, I'd forgotten what a fucking monster of a book it is, 1200 pages so I've gotta get cracking with it, I've not read it for years and I just remember the ending being pretty fucking terrible, but hey ho, I feel like I need to get through it before I see the film

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Way too many pages!!!

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I started IT last wednesday and im on page 530 of 1116 so I'm pretty much half way through now.

It's a slog, I don't wanna spend too long on it so I've been hammering it, it's not exactly the biggest font ever either.

I'd forgotten how good it was, the losers club have all just met up again for the first time as adults, their childhood is slowly coming back to them now.

Fuck me though Stephen King could have already shaved 100 pages off it so far, there's a chapter which is about 40 pages long which tells the story of a negro club being burnt down by the white folk of the town, yeah I get why it is included but fucking hell King it didn't need to be 40 pages long.

Oh yeah I'd forgotten that old Dick Hallaran out of the shining puts in an appearance as well, that's a pretty cool touch.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm reading Peter Hooks account of his New Order days. A very long book but one of the fumniest I have read. Hook has a way of telling a story that makes me sit back and have a giggle. Great book.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm reading "rivals until death" about the many feuds between Hamilton and Burr leading up to the duel that took the life of the man who started the us financial woes

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finished It last night, really enjoyed it and the ending didn't grate on me as much as the first time around

Started this today

Blood Meridian is an epic novel of the violence and depravity that attended America's westward expansion, brilliantly subverting the conventions of the Western novel and the mythology of the Wild West. Based on historical events that took place on the Texas--Mexico border in the 1850s, it traces the fortunes of the Kid, a fourteen-year-old Tennesseean who stumbles into a nightmarish world where Indians are being murdered and the market for their scalps is thriving. 'Cormac McCarthy's violent lyric masterpiece, Blood Meridian acquires an amoral, apocalyptic dimension through the Miltonic grandeur of the language ...It is a barbarously poetic odyssey through a hell without purpose' Irish Times 'McCarthy's achievement is to establish a new mythology which is as potent and vivid as that of the movies, yet one which has absolutely the opposite effect ...He is a great writer' Independent 'A bloody and starkly beautiful tale'
    Also purchased these

`Few venture as thou hast in the alarming paths of sin.'

This is the final judgement of Satan on Victoria di Loredani, the heroine of Zofloya, or The Moor (1806), a tale of lust, betrayal, and multiple murder set in Venice in the last days of the fifteenth century. The novel follows Victoria's progress from spoilt daughter of indulgent aristocrats, through a period of abuse and captivity, to a career of deepening criminality conducted under Satan's watchful eye. Charlotte Dacre's narrative deftly displays her heroine's movement from the vitalized position of Ann Radcliffe's heroines to a fully conscious commitment to vice that goes beyond that of `Monk' Lewis's deluded Ambrosio. The novel's most daring aspect is its anatomy of Victoria's intense sexual attraction to her Moorish servant Zofloya that transgresses taboos both of class and race.

A minor scandal on its first publication, and a significant influence on Byron and Shelley, Zofloya has been unduly neglected. Contradicting idealized stereotypes of women's writing, the novel's portrait of indulged desire, gratuitous cruelty, and monumental self-absorption retains considerable power to disturb.

The introduction to this edition, the first for nearly 200 years, examines why Zofloya deserves to be read alongside established Gothic classics as the highly original work of an intriguing and unconventional writer.
    ABOUT THE SERIES: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the widest range of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, helpful notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.

One of the most controversial novels of the twentieth century, Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita is a strange, troubling love story told by the one of the most unreliable narrators in literature. This Penguin Modern Classics edition includes an afterword by Craig Raine.

Poet and pervert, Humbert Humbert becomes obsessed by twelve-year-old Lolita and seeks to possess her, first carnally and then artistically, out of love, 'to fix once for all the perilous magic of nymphets'. Is he in love or insane? A silver-tongued poet or a pervert? A tortured soul or a monster? Or is he all of these? Humbert Humbert's seduction is one of many dimensions in Nabokov's dizzying masterpiece, which is suffused with a savage humour and rich, elaborate verbal textures. Filmed by Stanley Kubrick in 1962 starring James Mason and Peter Sellers, and again in 1997 by Adrian Lyne starring Jeremy Irons and Melanie Griffith, Lolita has lost none of its power to shock and awe.

'Lolita is comedy, subversive yet divine ... You read Lolita sprawling limply in your chair, ravished, overcome, nodding scandalized assent'

'Dedalus have unearthed a series of aptly decadent titles where elements erotic and grotesque combine. The Dark Domain is a collection of psycho-fantasies, doom-saturated tales of lonely men lost in hostile terrain, but the East European melancholy lifts to provide wonderful odd scenes, like the watchmaker whose death stops all the town clocks and the phantom train that always turns up unannounced, surprising the station staff.' Chris Fowler in Time Out Something fresh and original in fantastic fiction.
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Read Froch’s book which has a quote on the cover about the “saviour of boxing” which is complete nonsense. I thought the book was going to be about Froch loving himself and how great he thinks he is but it was not that bad.

Froch had invested in property before he became a professional boxer and is doing well for himself.

I forgot Froch was with Hennessey and was on primetime after being on BBC and ITV where he had built a fan base. After he lost to Ward he went to Eddie and Sky where he got his best win against Bute on normal sky then fought on PPV against Kessler et al.

Froch does talk about how he was unmotivated against Ward but in reality Froch lost because he simply was not good enough to beat Ward but Carl did not give Andre the credit he deserved.

However Froch talks up about how good Arthur Abraham was when really he was just a blown up middleweight.

Froch also hates Groves with a passion but does not admit how much he does in the book, claiming he did not take him seriously and was in a dancing show during the weeks up to their first fight.

Overall it was ok book which I enjoyed reminiscing about the good fights he had during his career.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well that review doesn't make Froch sound like a bell end at all

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want to hate Froch but he is very knowledgeable about boxing and that comes across when he commentates on Sky, loves his home city Nottingham, family man and does not mind getting his hand dirty. So I think I would get on well with him.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want to hate Froch but he is very knowledgeable about boxing and that comes across when he commentates on Sky, loves his home city Nottingham, family man and does not mind getting his hand dirty. So I think I would get on well with him.
    well they do say that opposites attract

I don't have a problem with him, he's a big headed bastard and I always thought he would get found out in the ring but he never did so fair play to him.

Thread Information