Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    well that review doesn't make Froch sound like a bell end at all
    I want to hate Froch but he is very knowledgeable about boxing and that comes across when he commentates on Sky, loves his home city Nottingham, family man and does not mind getting his hand dirty. So I think I would get on well with him.
    well they do say that opposites attract

I don't have a problem with him, he's a big headed bastard and I always thought he would get found out in the ring but he never did so fair play to him.
    Andre Ward exposed his limitations which is why most think Joe Calzaghe would out box him too. Especially since he lost to Kessler and Joe beat a prime Kessler.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finished this today, I know that Cormac McCarthy is a divisive author and you either love him or hate him, unfortunately I think I am firmly in the latter bracket.

I enjoyed The Road but even that took me a good two attempts to finish it, Blood Meridian just felt like I was literally slogging my way through a sludge if words, I really struggle with his writing style.

The Judge was a good character though.

I've not decided what I'm going to get started on next.

El Kabong Guest

@Batman

I suggest 'Charlatan' by Pope Brock or 'The Devil In The White City' Erik Larson or 'The Last Duel: A True Story of Trial by Combat in Medieval France' Eric Yager

Let me know if you select one of those

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    @Batman

I suggest 'Charlatan' by Pope Brock or 'The Devil In The White City' Erik Larson or 'The Last Duel: A True Story of Trial by Combat in Medieval France' Eric Yager

@El Kabong I've just added Charlatan and The Devil In The White City to my 'to read' list on goodreads, Trial by Combat doesn't really sound like my sort of thing.

I've got 3 books to get started on so it'll be a few weeks before I'm looking to buy anything else.

Also the name of the author of Charlatan sends chills down my spine...Pope Brock...Jesus, just the thought of it makes me break out in a cold sweat

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Dedalus have unearthed a series of aptly decadent titles where elements erotic and grotesque combine. The Dark Domain is a collection of psycho-fantasies, doom-saturated tales of lonely men lost in hostile terrain, but the East European melancholy lifts to provide wonderful odd scenes, like the watchmaker whose death stops all the town clocks and the phantom train that always turns up unannounced, surprising the station staff.' Chris Fowler in Time Out Something fresh and original in fantastic fiction.
    Right I've decided, I'm gunna get started on this one now

El Kabong Guest

@Batman

@El Kabong I've just added Charlatan and The Devil In The White City to my 'to read' list on goodreads, Trial by Combat doesn't really sound like my sort of thing.

I've got 3 books to get started on so it'll be a few weeks before I'm looking to buy anything else.

Also the name of the author of Charlatan sends chills down my spine...Pope Brock...Jesus, just the thought of it makes me break out in a cold sweat
    It was a very interesting read about 2 knights in medieval France there's a charge of rape against one of them and after DECADES of going to court and higher courts and higher courts the leadership of the era said the case should be decided by a knightly duel and God would guide whoever was in the right to win.

Just figured you might like that, relatively short book you'd read it in like 2 seconds. But hell yeah enjoy those books man, let me know what you think of them.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fucking fantastic book, 11 short stories all brilliantly told, I usually struggle with short stories but these were crackers, each one only between 10 and 15 pages.
    Grabinski manages to fit a hell of a lot into them without it feeling rushed but leaving you wanting more.

A fantastic selection and it has everything you could really want.

People say that Grabinski is a Polish Poe or Lovecraft, I can't see that but I can see that Thomas Ligotti must have been influenced by him in quite a big way.
    If you like Ligotti then give this a go, cracking book

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

finished this morning, took me longer than usual but I've been dragged on a few piss ups and with this bloody job interview and what not I don't think my head has been in the right sort of place for reading

How can such a colourful book be so dark?

Basic premise, Humbert Humbert falls in lust with a 12 year old girl, he kidnaps her and subjects her to 2 or 3 years of rape, as I say it is an extremely dark subject matter, the beauty of this book (as I said at the start of this post) is how colourful the writing is, not only colourful but clever as well.

The fact that the subject matter is one of the worst possible crimes possible never once did the book feel too overly serious, never once was I terrified for Lolita's safety or well being, never once did I feel an overwhelming level of hatred for Humbert Humbert.

Thats because the whole book is told from HH's point of view, Lolita doesn't get the opportunity to express how she is feeling because the whole book is seen through HH's eyes, oh don't get me wrong there are plenty of clues that Lolita is not happy and there are plenty of times when she says something that drags you back to the subject matter and makes you go 'wow' Humbert Humbert is so blase in his own mind that his actions are almost second nature to him.

Right up until the very end of the book you get an insight into this mans twisted perception of right and wrong.

A brilliant read, I'm going to let this one marinate for a few months and then re-read it because I am sure that there is a hell of a lot more to be taken from this book after the second or third (or maybe fourth) read.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

next up

Six months ago, Harry Bosch left the LAPD before they could fire him, and then hired maverick Defense Attorney Mickey Haller to sue the department for forcing him out. Although it wasn't the way he wanted to go, Harry has to admit that being out of the game has its benefits. Until Mickey asks him to help on one of his cases, and suddenly Harry is back where he belongs, right in the centre of a particularly puzzling murder mystery. The difference is, this time Harry is working for the defense, aiming to prevent the accused, Leland Foster, from being convicted. And not only does the prosecution seem to have a cast-iron case, but having crossed over to 'the dark side' as his former colleagues would put it, Harry is in danger of betraying the very principles he's lived by his whole career.
    I was planning on reading 1984 next (as I mentioned in another thread) but my dad has thrust this book upon me, it's the fucking 20th in the series and I've never read any of them before.

I've not really read any of these types of books (except for the Rebus series) for absolutely ages and I don't really want to read this one though, my Dad enjoyed it though and I like to keep him interested in reading so I'm going to plough through this in the hope it sparks him into picking up another book.

it's 400 pages but it should only take me a few days, if I really throw myself into it then I could get it done before the weekend quite easily, only problem was that I was planning on getting back onto my piano, I've not played in ages so there is a good chance that'll take up a lot of my time

El Kabong Guest

I'm currently reading 'The Portrait of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde, I don't get much time to read books, although there are several classics I'd like to work through and this was one of those (other options considered at the time: 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville and 'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens).....funny that so far the book reminds me of @Gandalf moody like Dorian Gray, completely focused and yet in awe of his skill like Basil Hallward, and a whimsical dandy like Lord Henry and Wilde himself.

I'm not certain what I'll read next, I would like to try out Dickens but perhaps a different story than 'Hard Times' as, Charlths Dickenths don't know nuttin' about HARD TIMETHS

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm currently reading 'The Portrait of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde, I don't get much time to read books, although there are several classics I'd like to work through and this was one of those (other options considered at the time: 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville and 'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens).....funny that so far the book reminds me of @Gandalf moody like Dorian Gray, completely focused and yet in awe of his skill like Basil Hallward, and a whimsical dandy like Lord Henry and Wilde himself.

I'm not certain what I'll read next, I would like to try out Dickens but perhaps a different story than 'Hard Times' as, Charlths Dickenths don't know nuttin' about HARD TIMETHS

@El Kabong

Great stuff, take a look at what I bought just the other day, it was delivered on Friday, keep me updated on what you think of it (no spoilers though)

El Kabong Guest

Well from watching Venture Brothers I know that Oscar Wilde was a huge fan of James Abbott McNeill Whistler (American painter best known for the portrait of his mother titled 'Whistler's Mother' ) and his portrait of Robert de Montesquiou apparently inspired Wilde to write his tome 'Dorian Gray'....

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dorian Gray is an excellent book and probably due a reread once I am through with the backlog that seems to be in front of me. I love those Victorian duality stories like Hyde, Gray and Dracula, and maybe even Frankenstein. Those kinds of stories will never get old.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

right well I've got 4 books after I have finished this one to hit my goal for the year

I was going to read 1984 next but I have been told to read another Nabokov book, which should be delivered any day now, I can't remember exactly what its called, something like 'sinister bend' or something, but I'm going to read that, then Dorian Grey (to give the Nabakov book time to settle) then I'm going to read 1984 (because apparently its a direct rip off of sinistier bend or what not) and then tthe 4th book is up for grabs at the minute.

once I have hit my goal though I want to leave myself enough time in the year to read S by JJ abrams and I wanna re-read house of leaves...Pissed I am...but that is my plan

El Kabong Guest

right well I've got 4 books after I have finished this one to hit my goal for the year

I was going to read 1984 next but I have been told to read another Nabokov book, which should be delivered any day now, I can't remember exactly what its called, something like 'sinister bend' or something, but I'm going to read that, then Dorian Grey (to give the Nabakov book time to settle) then I'm going to read 1984 (because apparently its a direct rip off of sinistier bend or what not) and then tthe 4th book is up for grabs at the minute.

once I have hit my goal though I want to leave myself enough time in the year to read S by JJ abrams and I wanna re-read house of leaves...Pissed I am...but that is my plan
    Damnit @Batman read '1984' so you can compare and contrast your take on it with Hillary Clinton's take on it

Thread Information