Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Dangerous Days
    A Diggers Great escape.
    Ernest Brough.

Wonderful read, sort of book you wish didnt finish and makes you want go and meet the Author and shake his hand and thank him for his life.

Factual story about Earnests time fighting on the beaches and in Syria then their capture and the following escape by three, two Aussie and a New Zealander trooper from a Nazi camp with all their pre plans then their experiences on foot through Austria over snow covered mountains into Serbia and Croatia eventually over to Italy just as it was freed into allies hands.

Makes you appreciate the grit and good hearts these old time heroes naturally had.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I finally finished it

And I do not mind admitting that it was a bit of a struggle at times. It is magnificently written but very data intense. The lists of events and names is integral to the plot and the clever interweaving is necessary, but I did find it hard work. This is not just a fictitious wedge of escapism or merely an historical thriller either, it does a great job in throwing light on the machinations of hate and envy that continue to shape modern Europe and the wider world. Conspiracy theories and the general distrust of Jews, Masons and those who are different from "US" are brilliantly dismantled. Thanks @Nameless for the recommendation.

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Friends, Enemies, and Lovers is my new book. Civil war book. So far, so good.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Well I finally finished it

And I do not mind admitting that it was a bit of a struggle at times. It is magnificently written but very data intense. The lists of events and names is integral to the plot and the clever interweaving is necessary, but I did find it hard work. This is not just a fictitious wedge of escapism or merely an historical thriller either, it does a great job in throwing light on the machinations of hate and envy that continue to shape modern Europe and the wider world. Conspiracy theories and the general distrust of Jews, Masons and those who are different from "US" are brilliantly dismantled. Thanks @Nameless for the recommendation.
    All my pleasure. With good ol'Umberto, it's always the same; it takes "dediction" to read the whole book as there are so may informations but in the end, once you get the "courag" to get through it, it's just pure ecstasy.

At the moment, I am mainly finishing reading for the philosophy classes that I give (end of semester oblige) but soon enough, I should find some more time to read books for myself.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have just finished

@Andre you would love it mate and I am assuming @killersheep and many others here have already read it because it's at least a year old which is quite a long time for fast moving sciences about slow moving subjects like cosmology. Here is a Quote that gives the gist of it

A nice quick read after Eco
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have now started this huge omnibus which I bought, like many of my books from a charity shop for a £1.

I must have got it a year ago and have finally now got around to reading my first John Updike. I don't know if the American guys here would see him as one of the quintessential modern American novelists but I have been bowled over by the quality of the prose. By page 8 my mouth was almost hanging open with the succinctness and beauty of his phrasing. It is really good stuff, so much so that it has inspired me to design some original artwork on which I will shortly be working. I hope to travel to the States one day but would like to do so with enough spare money and free time to create and exhibit some art over there and this just whets the appetite. It is full of little dramas lived out in front of epic backdrops.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was recently on a Cormac McCarthy kick. Great reading. I plan on getting back to Kafka next. I like all my music and literature as depressing as possible.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I was recently on a Cormac McCarthy kick. Great reading. I plan on getting back to Kafka next. I like all my music and literature as depressing as possible.
    Interesting.

So whats your favorite music genre, song, band and Book?

The play Les Miserables, a good night out maybe
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bob Dylan is amongst my favorites. Mississippi John Hurt and Johnny Lee Hooked are up there. Funny you mentioned Les Mis, I finished reading it about a month ago. What an epic. I will definitely see in in theatre at some point. By the way, I just started reading Kafkas "The Trial"

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    If you really like depressing music then Gorecki's Sympnony Number 3 "Sorrowful Songs" will definitely break your heart and fill your head with black sand, but for something a little less full of dread and leaden mourning you can't beat a bit of old misery Guts

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have now started this huge omnibus which I bought, like many of my books from a charity shop for a £1.

I must have got it a year ago and have finally now got around to reading my first John Updike. I don't know if the American guys here would see him as one of the quintessential modern American novelists but I have been bowled over by the quality of the prose. By page 8 my mouth was almost hanging open with the succinctness and beauty of his phrasing. It is really good stuff, so much so that it has inspired me to design some original artwork on which I will shortly be working. I hope to travel to the States one day but would like to do so with enough spare money and free time to create and exhibit some art over there and this just whets the appetite. It is full of little dramas lived out in front of epic backdrops.

I am now just starting the third book in the omnibus "Rabbit is Rich" and have to say I am still blown away. The characters are presented with none of the rough corners knocked off, and the plot is pretty incidental, but the eye and descriptive power of Updike just never wanes. Quality Read.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alfred Hitchcock: A life in darkness and light by Patrick McGilligan.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Alfred Hitchcock: A life in darkness and light by Patrick McGilligan.
    I love HITCH

This came out very recently

Bernard Hermann his long time musical collaborator is one of my heroes and his work right the way up to and including his terrifying score to Scorcese's Taxi Driver has remained a huge influence

You can hear snippets of the new collection here

Alfred Hitchcock and His Music - Various Artists : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hitchcock is great and Hermann was a perfect complement. I always return to Hitchcock as he has it all. Best scripts,music, actors and actresses, angles etc. So many great films inthe ouvre. Every development and there was Hitch honing his craft at every stage.

Its a nicely written book thus far and its only 13 dollars on a Kindle.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am now just starting the third book in the omnibus "Rabbit is Rich" and have to say I am still blown away. The characters are presented with none of the rough corners knocked off, and the plot is pretty incidental, but the eye and descriptive power of Updike just never wanes. Quality Read.

I have now finished this trilogy, thinking that was it for Harry Angstrom. If it were it would still make perfect sense finishing as it did, but no there is a fourth and final book in the tetralogy "Rabbit at Rest" which I have ordered online. Then there is a short novella "Rabbitt Remembered" which is included in the short story collection "Licks of Love", where he is remembered by people from his life. I don't know whether that should be included to make a pentalogy but I think probably not. Anyway I only found this out today which was a nice surprise. I bought the short story collection second hand from a hospices charity shop online which concludes a nice synergy initiated with the original trilogy omnibus being bought in person at a hospice charity shop. I can see why he got the Pulitzer and was also interested to find that he wrote a lot of art criticism too which I will read at some point.
    Hidden Content

Thread Information