Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Finished this today, it was ok but 2 things really really annoyed me about it.

1-The forced and utterly pointless connection of Marvel comic books, Salander's online alias is WASP, yeah apparently it's from the Marvel superhero, it even shoehorns in mentions of Thor and Thanos etc, I know that Marvel is popular at the moment but come on for fucks sake, there was just no need for it, it really wound me up

2-It is basically the 1998 Bruce Willis film Mercury Rising, I mean the whole concept...

The NSA are massively corrupt and a young autistic kid who also happens to be a savant has info that they don't want getting out, their only option is to kill him, then the hero has to 'unwillingly' take the kid into their care and protect them with their very life.

Is that a little summary of Mercury Rising or is that a little summary of The Girl In The Spiders web? the answer is it is honestly a little summary of both of them.

And I was always going to end it by saying that he didn't get Salander's character right, she was like a watered down version of the original.

4 out of 10

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going to be starting this tomorrow

From our most celebrated writer of the psychological thriller comes this nerve-wracking yet eerily beautiful work of erotic obsession and madness.

In the summer of 1959 Stella Raphael joins her psychiatrist husband, Max, at his new posting--a maximum-security hospital for the criminally insane. Beautiful and headstrong, Stella soon falls under the spell of Edgar Stark, a brilliant and magnetic sculptor who has been confined to the hospital for murdering his wife in a psychotic rage.

But Stella's knowledge of Edgar's crime is no hindrance to the volcanic attraction that ensues--a passion that will consume Stella's sanity and destroy her and the lives of those around her.
    I've just had a quick flick through and its only 250 pages but the font is fucking microscopic

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On the Beach, Nevil Shute
    After World War III has devastated the planet with atomic detonations, a few survivors in Australia await the end they know is rolling towards them in the toxic clouds. But when an American submarine captain hears a signal from what was once Seattle, he sets off in hopes of finding survivors.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finished this last night, good book actually, woman falls in love with a psychopath, goes crazy herself, it's I was expecting the book itself to verge on the side of batshit crazy but it was actually pretty grounded.

The story is told from the perspective of the womans shrink after all of the events have occured, I struggled with the first 1/3 of it but then really motored through the rest.

it was hard to feel sorry for the majority of the characters and the main woman came across to me as a real villain even though it was the illness and not her if that makes sense.

Any way it's on to this motherfucker next

first released in 1820

Created by an Irish clergyman, Melmoth is one of the most fiendish characters in literature. In a satanic bargain, Melmoth exchanges his soul for immortality. The story of his tortured wanderings through the centuries is pieced together through those who have been implored by Melmoth to take over his pact with the devil. Influenced by the Gothic romances of the late 18th century, Maturin's diabolic tale raised the genre to a new and macabre pitch. Its many admirers include Poe, Balzac, Oscar Wilde and Baudelaire.
    It's gunna be a beast of a read but I'm looking forward to this one

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just finished this

An elderly, incontinent Elvis Aaron Presley teams up with an deeply incognito John Fitzgerald Kennedy to defend their East Texas nursing home from an ancient Egyptian soul-sucking mummy. This is the short story that became the cult classic major motion picture, inspiring a generation of care-givers, archaeologists, and public servants. TCB.
    Someone told me to watch the film on YouTube and I discovered it was a book (well short story, I think it clocks in at about 150 pages) so I thought I'd read it before I watched it.

Elvis is an old miserable bastard who may not actually be Elvis but an Elvis impersonator who fell off stage and broke his hip and convinced himself that he was the real deal.
    JFK is alive and well, his brain is in a jar and wired up to batteries in the white house, his own head is now filled with sand...oh yeah...this JFK is black as well

Thing is there is a mummy dressed like a cowboy sucking people souls out through their ass holes, on that basis why couldn't it be the real Elvis and black JFK

Not really my sort of book but it passed an hour or so on a boring Sunday afternoon

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The book sounds interesting @Batman. Stay awake.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting is probably the best way to describe ribe it, Elvis also has a pus filled boil on the end of his knob which pops and erupts during a rather intense masturbating session, the boil actually gets mentioned far more than is required.

El Kabong Guest

Anyone read any Salinger? I've yet to dive into his books, but after watching the documentary on him (titled 'Salinger') my interest in his works has grown. I always heard that 'Catcher In The Rye' was a masterpiece and often misunderstood (mostly by famous murderers, which caused Salinger to seclude himself and stop having his works published while he was alive).

His newly released books which deal with his time serving in the OSS (the precursor to the CIA) in World War 2 and shortly thereafter and also some other works about the Glass family which were very in depth works of fiction are intriguing. Salinger supposedly married a woman in Germany who was a former Nazi and then annulled the marriage. Salinger was set to marry a young Oona O'Neil after having courted her in the time prior to World War 2 and an ancient Charlie Chaplain stole her away while Salinger was fighting in Europe.....as if I needed anymore reason to think poorly of Chaplain, W.C Fields was 10 times the comedian that Chaplain claimed to be!

Also I wonder about Mark Twain's Autobiography....I am not sure I could get through that one in an entire lifetime. That is some very heavy lifting mentally to get through such a long 2 volume set.

Anyone check into those books?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Anyone read any Salinger? I've yet to dive into his books, but after watching the documentary on him (titled 'Salinger') my interest in his works has grown. I always heard that 'Catcher In The Rye' was a masterpiece and often misunderstood (mostly by famous murderers, which caused Salinger to seclude himself and stop having his works published while he was alive).

His newly released books which deal with his time serving in the OSS (the precursor to the CIA) in World War 2 and shortly thereafter and also some other works about the Glass family which were very in depth works of fiction are intriguing. Salinger supposedly married a woman in Germany who was a former Nazi and then annulled the marriage. Salinger was set to marry a young Oona O'Neil after having courted her in the time prior to World War 2 and an ancient Charlie Chaplain stole her away while Salinger was fighting in Europe.....as if I needed anymore reason to think poorly of Chaplain, W.C Fields was 10 times the comedian that Chaplain claimed to be!

Also I wonder about Mark Twain's Autobiography....I am not sure I could get through that one in an entire lifetime. That is some very heavy lifting mentally to get through such a long 2 volume set.

Catcher in the Rye was a good book, it is obviously pretty dated now but it was pretty controversial at the time of its release, I've gotta be honest it's been a good few years since I've read it, I might have to dust my old copy off if I ever manage to get through the beast of a book that I am reading now.

I just remember the kid in it (his name escapes me now) doing my head in, I get what Sallinger was trying to get across but he needed to extend the kids vocab a little bit, he called every fucker in the book a phoney.

El Kabong Guest

Holden Caulfield is the boy in Catcher in The Rye

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holden Caulfield is the boy in Catcher in The Rye
    That's the badger

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never read Catcher in the Rye. It was recommended to me years ago as someone said I would relate to the main character. I just never got around to reading it though. I probably should. I bet he's a bit weird and aloof.

I am currently reading a biography of Syd Barrett from Pink Floyd. Only just started, but I am currently quite envious of the upbringing he had. Smart, interesting parents, decent well adjusted siblings and a fondness for drawing. Lucky bastard. Still as life shows it all turns a little bit queer sometimes.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I finished this on Thursday

Blimey what a struggle that was, it took me nearly 4 weeks to read it.

It is extremely wordy (even for the time that it was written) and the story never really goes any where, well I say the story, it is actually a story in a story in a story...possibly in another story, the main character is barely in the book and the problem with the multiple stories that all tie in together is that if you get one or two that you can't get into or don't enjoy then you start drifting off and ultimatly end up getting kind of lost.

I was hoping to find something like The Monk but unfortunately I was left pretty dissapointed

Anyway, now it's time for some controversial reading

The year was 1865. With the close of the Civil War, there began for the South, an era of even greater turmoil. In The Clansman, his controversial 1905 novel, later the basis of the motion picture The Birth of a Nation, Thomas Dixon, describes the social, political, and economic disintegration that plagued the South during Reconstruction, depicting the rise of the Ku Klux Klan and the reactions of two families to racial conflict. This study in social history was alternatively praised and damned by contemporary critics. As historian Thomas D. Clark notes in his introduction, the novel "opened wider a vein of racial hatred which was to poison further an age already in social and political upheaval. Dixon had in fact given voice in his novel to one of the most powerful latent forces in the social and political mind of the South." For modern readers, The Clansman probes the roots of the racial violence that still haunts our society.
    I'm about half way through now, it's not easy going, and the author is clearly not going to win any awards for his writing style but it's interesting.
    I have to admit that I was expecting it to be 'negroe this' and 'negroe that' but it's actually not like that at all so far, the majority of the book has been about the politics behind the scenes after Abe Lincoln was shot.
    There is the obligatory love interest between a bloke from the sound and a girl from the North but there really hasn't been any abuse directly towards the blacks at all so far.

Having said that you can feel it is building and you know that it is going to be a case of 'South good' North bad' Blacks very very bad'

It's interesting to read it just to see the opinions of those at the other side of the fence even if you don't agree with them.

El Kabong Guest

Ah yes very controversial indeed, that book became immortalized as D.W. Griffith's 'Birth of a Nation'....which if the book is at all like the film that is going to be like running a marathon through the mud. SOOOOO tedious and that was just the film mind you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

I recon everyone should read Post office by Bukowski, one of the best books i've read. if have have read it, let me know what you thoughts of it, i bet anyone can relate to that book.

Thread Information