Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  95
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    "Fumes the Memorious"

by Jorge Luis Borges
    Funes, not Fumes

El Kabong Guest

Fumes is what Spicoli does

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    also @El Kabong one of the books I read this year was based around the "Satanic Panic"

Say You Love Satan - David St. Clair

I've read a few books by the Author and I quite like what he does, he takes historical cases (usually about demonic possession) and writes it almost as if it is a story, whilst this one was an interesting case the execution was extremely poor, I was looking forward to the court/trial aspect of the book but it was extremely repetitive and all in all just a bit boring, the main thing that dragged the book down though was the dialogue, it was so fucking cringe inducing it was unreal
    Well I looked up the book and yeah it had potential to be very intriguing. The book I'm on (The Franklin Scandal) has all of the trial aspects you'd ever want and there's another book by the same author Nick Bryant called 'Confessions of a DC Madam' which is supposed to uncover more about this child trafficking scandal that touched the Reagan White House by way of Craig J. Spence.

Anyway this topic seems to always tantalize, you get bits and pieces of what you WANT to know about, the truth is very obscure, and what do you have to base your judgement on drug addicts? The seemingly mentally ill broken people who may or may not have had very horrible things happen to them.

You tell me about the child trafficking, about the sale or murder of children and big time celebrities, big time politicians, big time money involved and there's mysterious deaths like that of Gary Caradori and his son, the CIA is involved, police harassment, etc.....yeah that all piques the interest but you never ever pull the 1 thread that gets to the end of it all where one can say OH that's what was happening.

El Kabong Guest

@Batman, really gotten in deep on the trial of Alisha Owen and at least as author Nick Bryant has relayed it was a complete and utter sham of a trial a legal disgrace and it was appalling how the prosecution and judge conducted themselves.

Alisha Owen's previous attorney was having an extramarital affair with an FBI Agent on the Owen case and Owen's new attorney bringing up that FACT drew 'objections' (naturally) but also the ire of the JUDGE which is mind boggling! Also added to that insult was the injury that Owen's prior attorney basically set her up for the FBI to either nail to the wall or intimidate her into silence. really nasty stuff.

El Kabong Guest

Reading the classic Mark Twain's 'Adventures of Tom Sawyer' at present....part of me wished to read his autobiography, but that is a full fucking forest of paper. I could sink a battleship with volume one of that book!

I am also intrigued by J.D. Salinger's posthumous releases....ever read any Salinger @Batman? I watched a documentary on the guy, crazy brilliant fellow and deeply involved in the OSS. He took part of 'Catcher in the Rye' with him when he landed on D-Day.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Read House and Power of X comics which are about 12 issues interlinked and sets a whole new era of X-Men. Essentially Professor X has been shown that whatever he tries mutant-kind will always lose to mankind.

So Professor X starts a different and (to some people) extreme strategy to ensure mutant survival. He has developed flowers designed for various purposes such as extending the human lifespan, curing cancer and to live healthy lives. He offers these flowers to the world in exchange for recognition of a new sovereign nation of Mutants called Krakoa where "Man is not welcome."

He keeps other flowers that provides other powers such as providing a gate way to anywhere in the universe. He also is able to restore mutants who have died on missions he has sent them on.

The mutants have their own language, culture and socio/economic/political system and the artist has gone into great lengths to illustrate it.
    Last edited by Master; 11-29-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Reading the classic Mark Twain's 'Adventures of Tom Sawyer' at present....part of me wished to read his autobiography, but that is a full fucking forest of paper. I could sink a battleship with volume one of that book!

I am also intrigued by J.D. Salinger's posthumous releases....ever read any Salinger @Batman? I watched a documentary on the guy, crazy brilliant fellow and deeply involved in the OSS. He took part of 'Catcher in the Rye' with him when he landed on D-Day.
    I've only read Catcher in the Rye, I thought that was the only book he released.

I didn't overly enjoy it to be honest, I think I was in my early 20s when I read it so I probably got there a little too late, I can certainly see why people in their mid teens would enjoy it, I've always meant to go back and re-read it but there is always something else I want to read just that little bit more.

Holden just came across as a whinging little twat, walking around calling everyone a phony, he was basically emo before it was known as emo.

Again though its been about 15 years since I've read it so I may look on it overly negatively.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

I've only read Catcher in the Rye, I thought that was the only book he released.

I didn't overly enjoy it to be honest, I think I was in my early 20s when I read it so I probably got there a little too late, I can certainly see why people in their mid teens would enjoy it, I've always meant to go back and re-read it but there is always something else I want to read just that little bit more.

Holden just came across as a whinging little twat, walking around calling everyone a phony, he was basically emo before it was known as emo.

Again though its been about 15 years since I've read it so I may look on it overly negatively.
    Oh no Salinger has had other books, but 'Catcher in The Rye' is in/famous on account of being the "answer" as to why Mark David Chapman shot John Lennon, why John Hinkley Jr. shot Ronald Reagan, the book many a person were carrying (purposely or by chance) when they murdered another individual....now that doesn't mean it's any great shakes as a book on it's own, but apparently the premise of the book, the themes of it, speak quite clearly to certain people.

Books by Salinger
    The Catcher in the Rye (1951)
    Nine Stories (1953)
    "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" (194
    "Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut" (194
    "Just Before the War with the Eskimos" (194
    "The Laughing Man" (1949)
    "Down at the Dinghy" (1949)
    "For Esmé—with Love and Squalor" (1950)
    "Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes" (1951)
    "De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period" (1952)
    "Teddy" (1953)
    Franny and Zooey (1961)
    "Franny" (1955)
    "Zooey" (1957)
    Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction (1963)
    "Raise High the Roof-Beam, Carpenters" (1955)
    "Seymour: An Introduction" (1959)
    Three Early Stories (2014)
    "The Young Folks" (1940)
    "Go See Eddie" (1940)
    "Once a Week Won't Kill You" (1944)

I've not read any Salinger but the documentary about the man was quite impressive and apparently he fell in love with some Nazi spy whilst he was working for the OSS.

I'm enjoying The Adventures of Tom Sawyer quite a bit. Twain is quite good about putting the reader in the mindset of a child.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Got an awesome early Christmas gift from an old friend, Harry Mullans Encyclopedia of boxing 8th and 9th edition and a copy of The Naked and The Dead by Norman Mailer. Stat-record books and piece articles not exactly a traditional 'read' but I forgot what a new book actually smells like

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Re-reading Judaism Discovered by Michael Hoffman.

I have The Culture of Critique series by Kevin MacDonald in audiobook format so I am also restarting that again.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Re-reading Judaism Discovered by Michael Hoffman.

I have The Culture of Critique series by Kevin MacDonald in audiobook format so I am also restarting that again.
    Re-reading? (: Got to top up that hate and rewash your brain huh? Why not give us the full title of holocaust denying Hoffmans trash?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have finished Brett Anderson's 'Afternoons with the blinds drawn' which was excellent and honest. Brett Anderson has been a prat in his life, but I love how grown up he is these days. You can tell how clean he is by the way he looks. 52 years old and he looks amazing. I love his candor such as admitting that he is a simplistic musician and needs the technical brilliance of a Butler or an Oakes. Don't get me wrong, he is very talented in that his way with melody in the vocal line is tremendous. He has written many excellent songs, but he says he gets what people mean by that missing Suede chord. The little extra that a Butler or Oakes, can add with the dram and tension. I am so glad he made it through his addiction and became a stronger person.

Stick to books read @Beanz. What are you reading these days asides from The Canary?

El Kabong Guest

Leviathan by Eric Jay Dolin, it's about whaling in the Americas. Been fairly interesting.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I have finished Brett Anderson's 'Afternoons with the blinds drawn' which was excellent and honest. Brett Anderson has been a prat in his life, but I love how grown up he is these days. You can tell how clean he is by the way he looks. 52 years old and he looks amazing. I love his candor such as admitting that he is a simplistic musician and needs the technical brilliance of a Butler or an Oakes. Don't get me wrong, he is very talented in that his way with melody in the vocal line is tremendous. He has written many excellent songs, but he says he gets what people mean by that missing Suede chord. The little extra that a Butler or Oakes, can add with the dram and tension. I am so glad he made it through his addiction and became a stronger person.

Stick to books read @Beanz. What are you reading these days asides from The Canary?

I started this thread ffs and so could certainly do without you demanding the right to censor what i choose to post in it. In fact all i was asking was that Alpha expand on what he had told us and give us the full title of what he is re-reading. Judaism Discovered by Michael Hoffman is a bit different when you self censor and leave out the actual full title which is Judaism Discovered: A Study of the Anti-Biblical Religion of Racism, Self-Worship, Superstition and Deceit

This is a book in which Hoffman wants to normalize things like Holocaust denial and elevate Christianity to a point which delegitimizes Judaism. I get how appealing it is to hide from honesty for you guys, but the full title is kind of relevant here Good luck to you if you want to poison your mind re-reading a book that claims that Jews are a Satanic cult and that the Talmud is written by Satan then fill your boots, but don't hide the truth about an authors agenda in obfuscation You want the freedom to incite hatred then go join a Neo Nazi website and hang out with your racist Morrisey mates and Suede fans there.

The last four books i read were Stephen Fry's 'Mythos' which was a gift and terribly written but educational i guess ( Try Gaimans 'Norse Mythology' for an example of how to retell the classics).' The Cambridge dictionary of Philosophy' and David Olusoga's amazing 'Black and British: A Forgotten History' which I would urge anyone interested in British history to read if you want an example of a modern scholarly but readable masterpiece and Priya Hemenway's 'The Secret Code' all about the Golden Section which has often come up when I have been talking to people professionally about art.

I don't read the Canary and don't even read the Guardian much despite having family write for it. I used to read Unherd because it carries articles from people i respect like Roger Scruton, my friend Giles Fraser and even knobs you love like Douglas Murray, but it became an echo chamber for the perpetually offended new right so i no longer subscribe.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information