Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What are the "best" southpaw combinations? + Some experimental ideas to run by you

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What are the "best" southpaw combinations? + Some experimental ideas to run by you

So what are some good combinations for a southpaw to use or to use on a southpaw?

e.g. x2 jab + cross

e.g. cross + front hook

etc

1st idea = would a x2 right jab going forward + a pivoting front right hook work as a combination? Or is it a bad idea?

2nd = x2 jab, cross, power jab (I was thinking its a very safe combo!?)

3rd = I have this combination that works incredibly well defensively since im a southpaw basically I throw a jab to draw them in, then as they come towards me I throw a pivoting (right) front right hook at long range (russian/cuban style long range hook) and then follow with a cross, basically this works so well because I get out of the way while hitting them and creating a new angle to hit them again, its the best defensive combination Ive ever used / heard of and I wanted to know if you guys know how I could make it work offensively as in me coming forwards with it rather than going back or staying still with it! Its just so good defencively that I wondered is it only good defencively or could it be used offensively coming forward?

4th idea inspired by grey not so old = A jab powered by hip rotation, so rotate your hips to fire a jab that way you get a powerful fast jab, thats relatively effortless and you dont have to push your body mass towards them for the power so its safer if struck half way through throwing it.

5th idea inspired by strictly = Ok take the normal bog standard step in jab, now take that jab and turn your thumb down a little instead of keeping it horizontal so it has a natural hooking motion right at the end of the punch. Then at the end of the punch when it just begins to curve in, strongly rotate your hips as if you were throwing a front hook. This = a fast deceptive long range, fairly powerful hook jab hybrid punch that comes from an unexpected angle. Would this technique work well against southpaws?

Cheers!
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 01-26-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What are the "best" southpaw combinations? + Some experimental ideas to run by yo

To see what works against a southpaw, I recommend this fight, as Lopez demolishes a pretty good one. Just about any Lopez fight, as he defeated 12 or 15 southpaws. But this one is really beautiful to watch.

This is a southpaw that fights a bit differently...watch the first 5 rounds or so

The thing I'll think you'll notice is that for a southpaw to be successful, even an aggressive one like Ganigan, the key is to be a counterpuncher. This is true for all fighters, especially so for lefties. Oh, one more...Ganigan vs the commentator in that fight

Last edited by Youngblood; 01-26-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What are the "best" southpaw combinations? + Some experimental ideas to run by yo

Do not over look the simple jab, if you can out jab the opponent your chances of winning are greatly increased.

When thinking about combinations include feints and slips.

With combinations what ever you feel most comfortable with, the simplest ones usually work the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

3rd = I have this combination that works incredibly well defensively since im a southpaw basically I throw a jab to draw them in, then as they come towards me I throw a pivoting (right) front right hook at long range (russian/cuban style long range hook) and then follow with a cross, basically this works so well because I get out of the way while hitting them and creating a new angle to hit them again, its the best defensive combination Ive ever used / heard of and I wanted to know if you guys know how I could make it work offensively as in me coming forwards with it rather than going back or staying still with it! Its just so good defencively that I wondered is it only good defencively or could it be used offensively coming forward?

As a southpaw Im also looking for new things to add and this seem interesting yet I cant get a visual image for it. Can you explain more on this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hma123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

As a southpaw Im also looking for new things to add and this seem interesting yet I cant get a visual image for it. Can you explain more on this?

Sure bud, the combo is jab, then you hook and pivot at the same time, then cross.

So thats a right southpaw jab, followed by a right southpaw hook while pivoting right, followed by a cross.

The jab is not too important its just to draw them in. When they come in with their jab or cross or both you pivot out the way while smacking them with the hook, (the pivot adds extra power to the hook) now they are in a terrible position and you are in a great position so fire of a cross at at least before they can adjust their stance

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    To see what works against a southpaw, I recommend this fight, as Lopez demolishes a pretty good one. Just about any Lopez fight, as he defeated 12 or 15 southpaws. But this one is really beautiful to watch.

This is a southpaw that fights a bit differently...watch the first 5 rounds or so

The thing I'll think you'll notice is that for a southpaw to be successful, even an aggressive one like Ganigan, the key is to be a counterpuncher. This is true for all fighters, especially so for lefties. Oh, one more...Ganigan vs the commentator in that fight

Thanks mate I like your teaching style, its like cus d'amato's

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boyla View Post
    Do not over look the simple jab, if you can out jab the opponent your chances of winning are greatly increased.

When thinking about combinations include feints and slips.

With combinations what ever you feel most comfortable with, the simplest ones usually work the best.
    Gottya good advice thankyou bud!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When working on combos include high low high.
    Or low high low,
    Because their reaction/block follows the last landed punch, so theres an opening created in the opposite direction or opposite level you just landed one on.

You can feign land land or land land land too.

You can of course go more than just groups of three shot combos as well, but you all know that, Im just covering it for any first time readers.
    Last edited by Andre; 01-29-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information