Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George Forman VS David Tua + Tyson VS Tua + Tyson VS Forman + Tyson VS Vitali

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default George Forman VS David Tua + Tyson VS Tua + Tyson VS Forman + Tyson VS Vitali

Who wins and how?

Sorry just thought Id get these questions out of my system all in one go.

Foreman vs Tua does Tua stand a chance of out slugging foreman?

Tyson vs Tua who takes this? My money is on a prime Tyson being way too much for Tua and out classing him, but Tua is kind of a slugger/swarmer hybrid which makes him a possible bad styilistical match up for Tyson, also Tyson couldnt use his lack of height as an advantage as Tua is not that tall but has long arms and is strong as hell and heavy he might not let Tyson get into range much like Foreman pushed fraizier around up close.

Tyson vs Foreman, bad stylistical match up for Tyson, but prime Tyson is a beast himself weighing as much if not more than a prime foreman so maybe he has the skills to beat foreman or maybe foreman would do the same thing he did to joe fraizier!?

Tyson vs Vitali how would this go? Bad stylistical match up for Vitali?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Forman VS David Tua + Tyson VS Tua + Tyson VS Forman + Tyson VS Vitali

Tua is vulnerable to the body and Tyson's excellent defense and his skill and speed advantage would get him a KO over Tua.

Tua's left hook is harder but .. so what? Tyson is better at everything else.

Foreman wouldn't allow Tua to get off while he would be thudding away at him ... either that or he just outslugs Tua by exchanging with him.

Tyson vs. Foreman is interesting. The old Foreman gets destroyed but the younger one could be trouble. Tyson isn't Frazier and Foreman's wide, looping punches would rarely hit Tyson clean. Foreman may have an edge in power by Tyson was in a different realm when it comes to punching. He is so superior at punching skill overall that he makes Foreman look like an amateur. I think Tyson would is too talented for any version of a crude, raw slugger like Foreman with rudimentary skills to beat. Tyson's defense is LEAGUES better than Frazier who would often get hit while bobbing and weaving ... Frazier bobbed and weaved to get closer to his opponent ... Tyson would move his head to do the same but was a truly elusive target with that pendulum like motion. Guys with great boxing ability and skills could barely lay a glove on him at times.

Tyson already beat 100 Vitali's

He pounces on that faggot like a lion and tears him to shreds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Forman VS David Tua + Tyson VS Tua + Tyson VS Forman + Tyson VS Vitali

Tua? WTF is the current obsession with Tua? Anyway, he gets eaten easily by all the above mentioned fighters.

Foreman beats Tyson. Tyson was afraid of Foreman, and I think Foreman bullies him like a child.

Vitali v Tyson..Tricky. I'd say it's a pick 'em fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How was Tyson afraid of Foreman?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TysonBomb View Post
    How was Tyson afraid of Foreman?
    He repeatedly said it to Don King, Lou Duva, Bobby Goodman, and a whole host of others. I found this article interesting, but the contents were widely reported in one form or another in the late Eighties.

Why We Never Saw Foreman-Tyson

By Frank Lotierzo

16.09 -
    On January 15, 1990, Foreman fought former heavyweight title challenger, the hard-hitting Gerry Cooney. Cooney was making a comeback after not fighting in almost two and a half years. Cooney viewed Foreman as an easy win and figured he could capitalize off of Foreman's name and jump to the front of the heavyweight picture with an impressive victory. Going into the fight neither Foreman or Cooney were perceived to be a real threat to any of the top heavyweights in the world, let alone Tyson who was just 23 and the unbeaten, undisputed champ.

By January of 1990, Foreman had built up such a following and fan base that the Foreman-Cooney fight was only seen on PPV. It took Foreman less than two full rounds to mutilate Cooney sending him back into permanent retirement. Foreman displayed accuracy and devastating power in stopping Cooney. It wasn't until after Foreman's destruction of Cooney that he was taken as a serious title contender. Before the boxing world had time to digest Foreman's showing against Cooney, it was dealt an even bigger shock 26 days later.

On February 10 1990, 42-1 underdog James "Buster" Douglas literally turned the boxing world upside down when he traveled to Tokyo and knocked out undisputed heavyweight champ Mike Tyson. Don King promoted Tyson, at the time of his defeat. After Tyson's loss to Douglas, King wanted to have Tyson fight in a high profile fight. He figured a spectacular knockout win over a name opponent would get Tyson back on track to being the man in the heavyweight picture again. King thought he found the perfect opponent in Foreman who was all over television after beating Cooney. Foreman never passed up an opportunity to take a shot at Tyson and throw out challenges to him while doing the talk show circuit.

In the subsequent months following Foreman's victory over Cooney and Douglas' upset of Tyson, there was much talk of a Foreman-Tyson fight. It was a potential fight that captured the public's imagination, and not just the boxing public. In fact, there were several reports that the fight was signed and about to be announced. ESPN Sportscenter devoted numerous segments on the fight assuming it was going to happen. Shortly thereafter, there was an announcement that Foreman and Tyson were going to fight on the same card. In late April of 1990, it was announced that Foreman and Tyson would be fighting a co-main event on June 16 to be broadcast on HBO. Foreman's opponent was Adilson Rodrigues, who was ranked in the top ten by two of the major sanctioning bodies. Tyson's opponent was the unranked Henry Tillman. Tillman was best known for beating Tyson twice in the 1984 Olympic trials.

At this time, Evander Holyfield was getting ready for his sixth fight as a heavyweight against Seamus McDonagh on June 1 in Atlantic City. On the day of the Holyfield-McDonagh fight, I went to grab something to eat with Georgie Benton, Lou Duva and Bobby Goodman. At the time, Goodman was, and still is, Don King's matchmaker. I've known Benton for many years, through him I met Duva, and was introduced to Goodman a couple weeks before Tyson fought Larry Holmes at the Convention Center in Atlantic City in January 1988.

While we were eating, Benton said, "Bobby, what's up with Foreman and Tyson, how come they're not fighting each other on the 16th? Isn't that the fight that King was trying to make?" He said, " Georgie,You'll never believe this but, *' Tyson is scared * of Foreman and wants no part of him. I was there when Don was trying to make the fight. He was telling Tyson that Foreman represented huge money, plus he was old and slow and would be no problem. Tyson got up and screamed at King saying, 'I'm not fightin' that *' animal, if you love the * so much, you fight him!'"

Goodman stated that Tyson said Foreman was much better than people thought, and was a dangerous fight for any of the top heavyweights. Goodman proceeded to explain how Tyson was calling Foreman a big con man, and explained that the grandpop act was just a front. He said Tyson saw Foreman as trying to set up the boxing world into thinking he was a pushover, knowing that he really wasn't. Tyson said Foreman was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Goodman continued to say that after seeing Tyson's response to King trying to push him into a fight with Foreman, he had no doubt that Tyson had fear of Foreman. He also said that from that point on, he felt that if Foreman and Tyson ever fought, Foreman would knock Tyson out!

Throughout the lunch Goodman, Duva, Benton, and myself shared stories and thoughts on the fight game. Out of the blue Goodman said, "Oh I remember why else Tyson wanted no parts of Foreman. He said that King had found out from Steve Lott that Tyson and Cus D'Amato used to watch the Frazier-Foreman fight over and over." He continued saying that Tyson loved that fight because he was awed by Foreman's power and Frazier's toughness and how he kept getting up after every knockdown. He also said that Lott told King that Cus sat alongside Tyson saying, "It's suicide against Foreman if you're short and fight a swarming attacking style like Marciano or Frazier," never figuring that Foreman could be a possible Tyson opponent down the road. He said that Cus said the only fighters who had a chance against Foreman were, tall rangy fighters who could fight him from a distance while moving away from him, and no way any swarmer could beat Foreman by going to him.

Those are the words of the man who actually had a hand in trying to make the Foreman-Tyson fight, and was in the room when the negotiations broke down. Over the years, I've talked to many people who were involved with Tyson and Foreman and they all verify the story, every one of them. I have also talked to people who were involved with promoting Foreman, including Ron Weathers who promoted a few of Foreman's comeback fights. He told me the same story. The fight didn't happen because of Tyson being fearful of losing to George. Bob Arum also said that he dreamed of making Foreman-Tyson. He said it would be huge money and that Foreman would stop Tyson easier than he did Frazier. This is something Arum often repeated to the press. I have also heard this from George's brother Roy who was his business manager. I co-hosted a boxing show with Roy in Atlantic City for a little less than two months and this was a regular topic when discussing Tyson. Anyone who covered boxing at the time or knew any of the involved parties knew of this. It's not breaking news.

It is absolutely a fact that Mike Tyson was afraid to fight 41-year-old George Foreman--the same Foreman who Evander Holyfield would fight and beat in April of 1991. I have not a doubt that had Foreman and Tyson fought anytime between 1990 and 1997 that Foreman would have knocked Tyson out inside of three rounds. Tyson just has nothing to beat Foreman with; his edge in hand speed would have been a non-factor. He can't beat him by backing away, and he would have gotten his head handed to him if he brought the fight to Foreman. In addition, Foreman was bigger, stronger, tougher and hit harder. Not to mention the fact that Foreman had a better chin and no fear or doubt, unlike Tyson, who was full of fear and self-doubt.

Think about it, Foreman-Tyson was the biggest fight that could have been made in 1990. Foreman was perceived to be an easy fight for Tyson, and it would have been his biggest payday to date. There can only be one reason why Tyson didn't fight Foreman, and that's because he feared losing to him.

I haven't a morsel of a doubt that Tyson just doesn't match up with Foreman, and he knows it. If Tyson of 1990 was afraid of an old Foreman, think how petrified he would of been of a prime Foreman, the one who stared down both Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali in 1973 and 1974.

Writers Note

The above account is of a quick get to together for something to eat between myself and the above mentioned parties. The only thing I can't recall for certain is if it took place after the Holyfield-McDonagh final press conference, or the weigh in? However, the above quotes are just that, quotes. Everything there is exactly how the conversation unfolded. Whether you chose to believe it or not is up to you. All I can say is that is exactly what was said. To disbelieve this you have to assume a lot of people close to both Foreman and Tyson are lying. Remember, Tyson is a student of boxing and boxing history. If there ever was a fighter who understood styles and match ups, its Tyson. He was smart enough to know that Foreman was all wrong for him. You can talk about his speed and defense for the next 100 years. The fact of the matter is he had nothing to beat Foreman with! Sometimes the truth is very hard to believe and accept, but the truth is the truth. And the truth is, Mike Tyson was fearful of fighting George Foreman in 1990. The only reason why Foreman-Tyson was never made is because Tyson was afraid Foreman would beat him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL thats complete garbage

Tyson had lost to Douglas in 1990 and Foreman went on to fight Holyfield for the title.

Tyson was in rebuilding mode and took on Razor Ruddock, who was leagues above fat, slow, faded Foreman who didn't even deserve a title shot. Holyfield actually ducked Ruddock to fight Foreman ... Bowe also avoided him. So how did Tyson "duck" Foreman when Foreman went on to fight Holyfield for the title? He "ducked" him because Foreman chose to take a title fight? The truth is that Foreman didn't deserve a title bout and Holyfield should have fought either Tyson or Ruddock, the two best fighters in the division. Foreman's biggest win was Gerry Cooney at that time, who was a bum. Holyfield saw him as an easy opponent who would generate a lot of cash so he fought him.

By the time he was released from prison he was collecting titles and then "lost" to Holyfield around the same time Foreman lost to Shannon Briggs.

Foreman lost to Tommy Morrison ... Tyson would've beaten him too ... look at how these morons try and prop up Gerry Cooney vs George Foreman as some kind of amazing fight that showed Foreman was "legit." Foreman was slow and fat and beat on another fat and slow bum. He beat one of the weakest champions around in Michael Moorer to win two heavyweight titles ... and Moorer clearly outboxed him the entire fight. That article has no credibility at all and any moron who was simply aware at what was going on in the year 1990 and after knows that.
    Last edited by TysonBomb; 01-26-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tua against Foreman or Tyson is a total mismatch and he is easily outclassed.

Tyson against Foreman is interesting, but Tyson has a big speed advantage and I think that is what separates them. Tyson's punches get there first and his constant head movement makes life difficult for Foreman. Would be a great fight though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tua is vulnerable to the body and Tyson's excellent defense and his skill and speed advantage would get him a KO over Tua.

Tua's left hook is harder but .. so what? Tyson is better at everything else.

Foreman wouldn't allow Tua to get off while he would be thudding away at him ... either that or he just outslugs Tua by exchanging with him.

Tyson vs. Foreman is interesting. The old Foreman gets destroyed but the younger one could be trouble. Tyson isn't Frazier and Foreman's wide, looping punches would rarely hit Tyson clean. Foreman may have an edge in power by Tyson was in a different realm when it comes to punching. He is so superior at punching skill overall that he makes Foreman look like an amateur. I think Tyson would is too talented for any version of a crude, raw slugger like Foreman with rudimentary skills to beat. Tyson's defense is LEAGUES better than Frazier who would often get hit while bobbing and weaving ... Frazier bobbed and weaved to get closer to his opponent ... Tyson would move his head to do the same but was a truly elusive target with that pendulum like motion. Guys with great boxing ability and skills could barely lay a glove on him at times.

He pounces on that faggot like a lion and tears him to shreds
    I'd agree on Tua as I think he gets alot of huff n puff mostly off of 2,3 fights frankly, and one of those he lost! His body was highly suseptable to combinations and he fell in love with his power, left hook and would often pitch just singles and doubles. People can call me nuts but he looked like a portion of the time his left was not entirely turned over. Tysons hand speed and shifts would leave him dizzy and both he and Foreman had enough firepower and high level to keep him honest and repetitive for two wins.

I actually see the 'older' version of Foreman being much more trouble than the 70's version. Mentally, psycologically and in his delivery he was a superior fighter to his tightly wound wide open youth. I do think he would have beaten Tyson in his comeback as he and Mike were on two different planets mentally and Foreman had the jab and effortless power in every literal punch to put that hesitation we saw in Tyson when he was squared up by power plus huge confidence in a guy. Tysons handspeed would be on display but Foremans first intent would be touch, square and place Tyson for serious follow up, which I think he could have.

I have to say man, I'm not sure what Lou Savarese has in relation to Vitali aside from both being big white dudes. Thats pretty much were the likeness ends as far as skill and ability. Not sure Vitali would go all "faggot"...come on bro.. in that one but it would be an outstanding fight. Vitali has always been too stiff and somewhat Frankenstein for my likes and Tysons feet could be as fast as his hands with most of Vitalis shots at the downward angle. Who knows, I call it a coin toss really and hope for 12 rounds of fistic chaos.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 01-27-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL thats complete garbage

Tyson had lost to Douglas in 1990 and Foreman went on to fight Holyfield for the title.

Tyson was in rebuilding mode and took on Razor Ruddock, who was leagues above fat, slow, faded Foreman who didn't even deserve a title shot. Holyfield actually ducked Ruddock to fight Foreman ... Bowe also avoided him. So how did Tyson "duck" Foreman when Foreman went on to fight Holyfield for the title? He "ducked" him because Foreman chose to take a title fight? The truth is that Foreman didn't deserve a title bout and Holyfield should have fought either Tyson or Ruddock, the two best fighters in the division. Foreman's biggest win was Gerry Cooney at that time, who was a bum. Holyfield saw him as an easy opponent who would generate a lot of cash so he fought him.

By the time he was released from prison he was collecting titles and then "lost" to Holyfield around the same time Foreman lost to Shannon Briggs.

Foreman lost to Tommy Morrison ... Tyson would've beaten him too ... look at how these morons try and prop up Gerry Cooney vs George Foreman as some kind of amazing fight that showed Foreman was "legit." Foreman was slow and fat and beat on another fat and slow bum. He beat one of the weakest champions around in Michael Moorer to win two heavyweight titles ... and Moorer clearly outboxed him the entire fight. That article has no credibility at all and any moron who was simply aware at what was going on in the year 1990 and after knows that.
    You were not aware of what was going on in 1990, because you've already said you weren't watching boxing at the time.

What was actually going on? In 1990, this was THE fight the public wanted to see. The waters were tested when Tyson and Foreman fought on the same bill which was dubbed "The road back" Bob Arum publicly offered them both a hundred million, claiming this was a quarter of a billion PPV spectacular

Was Mike afraid? Don't know. Don't really care. I'd have asked him had I known I would have raised this topic. The bit I find strange is that the clamor for this fight was such that stories of Tyson being afraid were in the newspapers and magazine on an almost weekly basis. Foreman would appear on any show that would have him, even turning up to commentate on Mike's fights stating Tyson was scared, and he would knock him out with ease, any time, any place, etc.

I have never seen a response from Tyson or team Tyson denying the accusations, or explaining why the fight never happened, save interviews from people such as the guy who wrote that article above who claimed to be in the know.

I expect in 20 years time I'll be on here debating with a young pup who is claiming that there was no public interest in Floyd v Pacquiao in 2010, and Pacquiao hadn't earned his shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson lost to Douglas and Foreman took a title fight against Holyfield

Tyson didn't avoid Foreman and Foreman didn't avoid Tyson ... and after the way Foreman was outclassed by Holyfield, his stock dropped ... as did Tyson's when he lost to Douglas.

Tyson tried to redeem himself by taking on a bigger and better challenge than Foreman in Razor Ruddock.

The public may have wanted it at one point but I'm sure that changed after Tyson lost.

Citing that ahole scumbag Arum means nothing. The circumstances didn't allow this fight to transpire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson tried to redeem himself by taking on a bigger and better challenge than Foreman in Razor Ruddock.

The public may have wanted it at one point but I'm sure that changed after Tyson lost.
    No. The clamour for this fight was after Tyson lost, hence the double bill where they fought together to test the water when Tyson fought Tillman and George fought Rodrigues.

Again you accuse me of having no idea what was going on at the time, and you come out with stupid statements like Foreman's stock dropped after the Holyfield fight.

Foreman was a huge underdog, and large sections of the media thought he was a joke and would be bludgeoned within three rounds by Holyfield. The fact that he went twelve rounds and rocked Holyfield on several occasions and remained competitive shocked almost everyone, including me, and his stock rose considerably in defeat

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tua vs Foreman - I'll take Tua. Obviously big George can bang but I just think Tua would do much better on the inside.
    Tua vs Foreman POST retirement - I'll take Big George. He really developed a great jab in his comeback.

Tua vs Tyson - Tyson all the way. Tyson was superior to Tua in every way imaginable, except perhaps chin, but Tyson had an iron chin anyway so I don't think that matters.

Tyson vs Foreman - Tyson all the way. Big George could bang but Tyson would just be MUCH too fast for him. I think Big George would go down Ron Lyle-style, but not get up.

Tyson vs Vitali - I'd lean towards Vitali. I think Vitali had the toughness to withstand the occasional Tyson bomb, and the skill, movement and reach to keep Tyson at bay and off balance for most of the fight.
    Last edited by Beanflicker; 01-29-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthepen View Post
    Foreman was a huge underdog, and large sections of the media thought he was a joke and would be bludgeoned within three rounds by Holyfield. The fact that he went twelve rounds and rocked Holyfield on several occasions and remained competitive shocked almost everyone, including me, and his stock rose considerably in defeat
    This is true.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How is that guy comparable to VK? Do u even know who it is? Only comparison is skin tone, it end's there, and that's probably why u posted it! Tyson never faced anything like VK other than Lewis and even in that case he has the better chin! U massive lemon...LOL.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Savarese? The guy who lost to a 48 year old Foreman??

Thread Information