Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One for the Aussies - Anthony Mundine...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default One for the Aussies - Anthony Mundine...

"I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: One for the Aussies - Anthony Mundine...

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Mundine looks like a wino, who sleeps under a bridge, I hope Geale knocks him out.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know he's a prick but he sounds really hated over there...

Mundine fought in Germany once too, long ago, and all he came back with was concussion.
    bit harsh as I think it was a world title challenge after only his 9th or something pro fight CBA to check and no amateur fights... he was doing very well before being KO'd.

love or hate the guy and I suspect most hate him, he has brought alot of headlines to boxing in ozzland.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hates a strong word but you are right theres plently of it out there in the not so mature world of Aussie fight buffons; There are real fans out here so Ill keep that term revered and reserved for those gents. After all the buffons throw bottles out here and boo anyone who dares to go against their own fighter (with the brainless attitude that shows they dont realise it takes two to fight and without the opposition they wouldnt be there watching anything. I enjopy being hated by those types too they dont count thats why they own their own hate.

Mundines dillusional but he has talent enough to make a hard night for anyone who underestimates him. I think Geale wins too but thats also because Mundine has run his course,his best is over. Geale should stop him but I wouldnt just wade in there early if i was him.

I dont care who wins cause it will give the pack a reason to hate some more and anything that upsets them is fine with me.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're right Saddo, he was doing well against Ottke in that fight - but he was knocked out with one punch, and Ottke was not renowned as a puncher.

The most frustrating thing about Mundine is that one-on-one, he is a really friendly guy. I met him and chatted to him in December 2005 at the weigh-in for his fight with Rico Chong Nee (which I covered, with some bad photos I might add, for this fine website) and found him to be a nice bloke.

I reckon his finest performance was probably his losing effort against Mikkel Kessler - he showed a lot of courage in that fight and as Andre says his skills/speed make him a handful for anyone. He boxed rings around Danny Green and Antwun Echols.

But it's his media persona that people find particulalry grating - as I say in the article, it's become a boring joke over here. His performance at the press conference today was ridiculous.

He's always saying how he's going to fight this guy, or that guy - and the fight's don't get made and before you know it he's fighting another guy you've never heard of and putting it on pay-per view.

I think he's wasted his talent. At one stage I think he could have posed problems for even Calzaghe with his speed and skills, but after the Kessler fight it's like he never took another risk again...
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was dumb in that Okkte fight he was winning (but I doubt the Germans would have had it that way) he started to get cocky and show boat and then turned and got what was comming to him,a temple shot.You cant fuck around in front of world champion like that.

As you say he is his own worse enemy.

I expected Eccols to really hurt him and test him out at least once in the given time, but Mundine did the job again and did it well, he has his good nights for sure, as you say Green was live too,but he is straight up with no edge or great history of work, so I didnt expect much to be honest so that was no shock, it still took skill to neutralize him and win.

Good read mate keep it up.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why do all the big OZ fights happen on Wednesday night? I remember British fights in the 80s happening midweek too, but that's long gone. I assume the weekend evening events would clash with something?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Clashes with neighbours & home and away

job biscuit (i miss kylie)!!£

eh eh!!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo View Post
    bit harsh as I think it was a world title challenge after only his 9th or something pro fight CBA to check and no amateur fights... he was doing very well before being KO'd.
    I think the hate is justified given the fact that he mocked his opponent, saying he punches like a girl, then got sparked cold by him.

I think he deserves the flack he gets.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When is this on in UK time please?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was watching Mundine being interviewed on youtube a few weeks ago and got the impression he could be an ok bloke, he would probably get away with some thongs he says if he could back up some of his words, as someone else has said he is always saying he's fighting this guy or that guy but these big fights never come off.
    Last edited by armyash; 01-28-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Why do all the big OZ fights happen on Wednesday night? I remember British fights in the 80s happening midweek too, but that's long gone. I assume the weekend evening events would clash with something?
    Think you are right , they wouldnt hold up against the 'for real' champion ship fights held on a weekend so they play it safe.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Andre.

Yeah, I suppose I get a bit bummed when I see a guy not make the most of their talent. I respect Geale because he's been actively seeking out fights in Germany against good, solid guys. I feel Mundine should have been way more pro-active in trying to get bigger fights.

He's always making excuses - but Tszyu showed you just have to be willing to suspend your ego in terms of money until you've established yourself over there, then once you are top dog you can start calling the shots. Mundine (and Green), I feel, likes the few hundred grand he could pick up for fighting some really non-threatening guy on a Wednesday night in Sydney or wherever, and it all just got too easy for him.

Darchinyan and Katsidis both followed the Tszyu mould - although looking at both those guys, and how much money Mundine has made, you wonder is it worth it?

Would Darchinyan and Katsidis like to be where they are (having the respect of hardcore boxing fans for their willingness to fight the best guys) or Mundine's bank balance?? I suppose Tszyu showed you can have both if you're good enough...

Very, very frustrating.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched this a while back.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thread Information