Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Over coming size difference

Due to fight a guy in a match for charity. I'm 5ft 7in and around 9st he's 6ft 7in and 19st.

I fought for a number of years as an amatuer and he has no boxing experience at all. I'm fairly confident I will be able to handle myself well enough to avoid getting hurt. He's not very mobile and defensivley as long as I stay switched on I dont expect to get hit much.

I'm sparring with big guys and and it took a few days but I can now get inside either by slipping under the jab or by feignting a punch to make them cover up and then quickly closing the distance. Problem I'm having though is producing an effective offense when I get inside into range. I get in some body shots but then I'm getting leaned on and this is draining my stamina.

Any tips ?
    'To speak with his equal and irish man is forced to talk with God...'

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Over coming size difference

Hi mate, nice to see you here again.Hows your daughter?

The boys will have some more conventional answers than me.

Number of things I'd like to try though, You have alower center of gravity than them so i'd be going further into that so they over lean a touch: maybe as they go to lean down on you, you can slip one of your feet back to give yourself hitting room and uppercut off the front arm and leg, it will be the end of anymore leaning if you land it right. If you are flexable in the kneesand they half grab, half lean you can go down low like youre going to escape out lower than they can can go, but you dont,as they react and their arms break contact with your shoulders you leap back up with full leg strength and make them pay, like a leaping shot up the opening they just left. Or as they lean forward and go to grab help one of their arms across and go out under it, side step liver hook,temple hook back low and then set up and be loaded for when they turn around into you and bang. Maybe if you get lucky after slipping out to their side and landing on the way out you end up square to them and they are caught on the side with their left arm up at the temple for cover you being lower can fit your left in under their left forearm if you have stuck to them close they wont see it come up that opening.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi mate, nice to see you here again.Hows your daughter?

The boys will have some more conventional answers than me.

Number of things I'd like to try though, You have alower center of gravity than them so i'd be going further into that so they over lean a touch: maybe as they go to lean down on you, you can slip one of your feet back to give yourself hitting room and uppercut off the front arm and leg, it will be the end of anymore leaning if you land it right. If you are flexable in the kneesand they half grab, half lean you can go down low like youre going to escape out lower than they can can go, but you dont,as they react and their arms break contact with your shoulders you leap back up with full leg strength and make them pay, like a leaping shot up the opening they just left. Or as they lean forward and go to grab help one of their arms across and go out under it, side step liver hook,temple hook back low and then set up and be loaded for when they turn around into you and bang. Maybe if you get lucky after slipping out to their side and landing on the way out you end up square to them and they are caught on the side with their left arm up at the temple for cover you being lower can fit your left in under their left forearm if you have stuck to them close they wont see it come up that opening.

Hey Andre - good to be back - we got taken over by a different company and unlike the last lot they don't have this site blocked on the internet :-) Yeah mate Katie is doing really well thanks.

Thanks for the tips too I'll try them and let you know how I get on.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    I'm 5ft 7in and around 9st he's 6ft 7in and 19st.
    lol my god man.

I don't know British speak very well, but isn't that like a 150 lb difference? Guessing this white collar boxing or something you guys do that I have no concept of. but yea. Pretty much stay the hell out of the end of his range. Either several feet out, than quickly inside and do work. Sounds like fun though so long as you don't get caught and knocked through the ropes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    I'm 5ft 7in and around 9st he's 6ft 7in and 19st.
    lol my god man.

I don't know British speak very well, but isn't that like a 150 lb difference? Guessing this white collar boxing or something you guys do that I have no concept of. but yea. Pretty much stay the hell out of the end of his range. Either several feet out, than quickly inside and do work. Sounds like fun though so long as you don't get caught and knocked through the ropes.

Yeah he's basically almost twice my weight. Originally it was a joke and I was gonna fight someone more my size but they dropped out so now I'm fighting him.
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dam I read right past the weight difference, just the height was enough.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can you video this please, its sort of going to be like that little dude with the sling shot against the giant in the Bible. David and Goliath.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Can you video this please, its sort of going to be like that little dude with the sling shot against the giant in the Bible. David and Goliath.
    Hahaha yeah it'll be on video - I'' post it up afterwards.... if I'm still alive.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the sneakiest things to off set a very large awkward person who is coming forward in set increments is to make contact with their lead arm with your lead glove and as they go to move forward again drop slightly and place your front foot in behind their lead foot and when they take weight off it which you'll feel through their arm, you pull their ankle back to you with your instep and drag their foot towards you, You dont even have to succeed just the intention of their leg moving faster than they wish makes their whole balance kaput, right then they are flailing and you can knock them over very easily through their center line you step back in with the foot you used and hit through in a straight line between their feet placement so they go straight over backwards, hit at the same time as you land, there is no need to look for an opening their arms go out.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stay low and shade to your right. You'll stay away from his right hand-I'm assuming he is an orthodox boxer. By staying low, you'll hopefully get him jabbing down at you. This compromises his height and reach advantages and will give you an opportunity to slip outside his jab and shoot your right hand over the top. If you can get him throwing his right across his body, by being outside his left arm, you'll have him turning into your right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Stay low and shade to your right. You'll stay away from his right hand-I'm assuming he is an orthodox boxer. By staying low, you'll hopefully get him jabbing down at you. This compromises his height and reach advantages and will give you an opportunity to slip outside his jab and shoot your right hand over the top. If you can get him throwing his right across his body, by being outside his left arm, you'll have him turning into your right hand.
    This is done in kind of Dwight Qawi manner right Grey? I forgot some older fighters that used it. Marciano maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post

Good news and bad news...

I tried this with the guy I'm sparring with and after the first round he was swearing at me to stand up :-) Works a treat as does the right hand over the top - throwing it as a looping punch I was catching him often.

The bad news is the guy I was supposed to be fighting has pulled out - could just be coincidence but he pulled out right after he watched the sparring session above. He's claiming a bad back - I think it's more a problem with his heart...

Bit of a pain to be honest because the venue - the ref the doctor everything was sorted - now I have to try and get a replacement opponent.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you've already won Shamrock! By sheer fear and intimidation.

All there is to do now, is find another opponent and go for the double win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    you've already won Shamrock! By sheer fear and intimidation.

All there is to do now, is find another opponent and go for the double win.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight... it's the size of the fight in the dog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn that's a big size difference.

Ok, assuming you're both orthodox, when you get on the inside, you can throw one or two punches, bob and weave to your right (so you're outside his lead arm) and in this position you can sneak in a left hook (which will come down the middle) either to the solar plexus or upstairs at an angle where it will difficult to guard against.

Thread Information