Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default distracting your opponent

Anyone have any tricks or anything psychological they like to mess with their opponent?
    I heard a good coach (trained a few good pros) at a gym I was visiting and when he was cornering his guy sparring he kept saying "make him second guess his attack"? That really made me think of the science of boxing and tricks you can do to people. Anyone have an idea of what he meant or anything you use personally that can throw someone off?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: distracting your opponent

Its a great thing if you can make them question their own strategy. Two ways ,make them pay for it or make them wonder where the hell you went to; still if you do that right they would have paid on the end of your evasive move.

If you can achieve it in any way it isnt time to wait around to see what they come up with next, its your time to expose their mistake.

There are so many ways you could do it too. Disruption is a better term,disruption of a movement stops its ending. Disruption of their balance stops them dead in their tracks.

Upsetting their rhythm they are in, can involve dirty tricks we all know about to break in to the timing.

Ive never seen it done ever, but imagine if you knew after a few rounds the guy couldnt hurt you, but he was very good at evasion and covering up and started getting you flusterd cause he wont bang, cause he knows he is smarter but not stronger.

You dont shrug your shoulders and wave him in like some dumb music conductor, take another tack; go softer on him tap and move like you are going for easy points instead, make him eventually think lifes got a touch easier somehow, then start to leave a big opening , he takes a shot, You are going to see it coming ,you want it, you want him coming forward more, you could even feign slight damage and keep your glove on the impact zone as you retreat so he comes forward for the kill... you uppercut his head off from your coiled position.
    Last edited by Andre; 01-29-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hma123 View Post
    Anyone have any tricks or anything psychological they like to mess with their opponent?
    I heard a good coach (trained a few good pros) at a gym I was visiting and when he was cornering his guy sparring he kept saying "make him second guess his attack"? That really made me think of the science of boxing and tricks you can do to people. Anyone have an idea of what he meant or anything you use personally that can throw someone off?
    The feint. A lost art.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look at from the other way too, how about upsetting the distractor?
    Like those people who put their hands behind their backs move their head from side to side and poke their tongue out. Relax look bored as, then leap at them so you are nose to nose distance and swing one through the path of their head (follow its pathway with your shot you cant miss like you will if you stay at a long distance over reach and take straight jabs at his head like he is fully expecting you to ((over lean onto your front foot, so you are trapped there). Or simply turn around and walk back to a corner behind the ref and let him deal with it, either way you out smart him and he doesn't do it again cause he either got tagged or he looked stupid on his own.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hma123 View Post
    The feint. A lost art.
    On the topic: watch Roberto Duran in lightweight, he was one of the masters at feinting. In fact, I would argue that it is what made him the dominating force he was in the lightweight division...besides chucking dynamite at their faces.

Here is an article on Roberto Duran's fight style. I hope you learn something from it.

http://www.myboxingcoach.com/roberto...nos-de-piedra/

P.S. That site it awesome.
    Last edited by Peter Som; 02-01-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When sparring or fighting think and look like a killer.

You are going to kill the guy, stop him from raping your family, go for him like he had hurt you gf/sister/mother.

you want the advantage you attack him, the same way you would a intruder to your home.

You want the advantage do the above.

I am not going to tell you ways to distract the opponent, there are many ways but I am not going to teach you how to be a weasel.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boyla View Post
    When sparring or fighting think and look like a killer.

You are going to kill the guy, stop him from raping your family, go for him like he had hurt you gf/sister/mother.

you want the advantage you attack him, the same way you would a intruder to your home.

You want the advantage do the above.

I am not going to tell you ways to distract the opponent, there are many ways but I am not going to teach you how to be a weasel.

Good luck.
    An interesting and just point of view.

I find the limits and different peoples stances on how far they will push or break the rules of warfare physiologically fascinating.

Ive actually made a few points for consideration that come under that score lately.

I try to think of most things in life from two opposing directions. When distraction as a topic came up, I tried to think of both points of view, like from the winning side and the losing sides point of views and what within the rules could be done from both points,that way I figure I get to a more balanced perspective on the limits of both possibles.

I think if you dont show people what is done, they cant counter it.

Lets take only the lesser of all evils in the ring "talking to your opponent constantly in order to put him off his game".

Now to mention it as a legal and viable distraction; if you have the opposing point of view (which most of us do) that it stinks and is unmentionable as a tactic; If we take that point of view we wont consider or discuss it, instead we would say my point on that matter is such and such and it ends right there.

But if you talk it out and cover all the things the fighter will be trying to say to you and what he is aiming at doing by stating those things he has found out and will say, then straight away you have already considered the worse he can do, and so his effects will be neutralized.

Same goes for anything mental or physical; you have a better shot at countering any distraction if you recognize it.

Im sort of saying if you dont stick to a fixed point you can draw two lines from both points that gets things into perspective.

There are of course unmentionable illegal and dangerous things we dont go into openly, but at some stage you will still have to choose when and who you tell and show those things to for their own security, especially if their opponent is famous for that illegal or dangerous move.

I can explain it.

Thread Information