Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Slip Bags and an Alternative

Here's some videos of a gentleman that invented a piston type punching machine.
    The first video is of the inventor going over some of the details of the machine.

Second video is of an experienced boxer giving a demonstration.

Third video, is of the same boxer blocking body punches.

There are more videos, but thought I would just post these few.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As someone said, nothing beats a real partner, but the real purpose of the slip bag isn't simply to simulate a punch being thrown, but more of an exercise to move the head constantly. Which by the way if you go a few rounds, you'll feel it in your obliques and back muscles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it should be your legs doing the majority of the work in slips if your back and obliques are doing the work then i doubt you are in a good position to actually counter off the slip, what works best for me is tennis ball on a rope double jab the tennis ball then slip it on its way back left hook, right, left etc. the best thing ive done to learn to slip is during sparring, i just think of it as loading up a counter punch for a punch i suspect is to be thrown at me, then i find you dont overthink things, because your basically just waiting for the first sign of a tell and loading up and fireing rather than thinking about slipping the punch and countering it as seperate movements and having too much forethought going on while trying to mantain your focus on what your opponents going to try next. its more of a different approach on thought rather than an actual drilling exercise, ive been trying to do this with my boxing movements to speed reaction up by other means rather than by physically trying to get faster (which obveousely i do aswell lol), simplifying things in my mind so i can consentrate more on the opponent rather than the seperate movements involved in trying to both successfuly slip a punch and then land a clean counter shot in return. a thread i think herbm started on ask the trainer got me thinking about thoughts while boxing and id never really given it much thought before, im glad i did now as this helps me counter and react so much easier now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've previously spoken of my disdain of the century bobs/Slamman, whatever you care to refer to them as, however, here I have found a use for them.

I took one and placed it in the center of the mats. I think took the initiative to drills to big holes straight through This was not out of hatred or my being callous, I had a purpose. I took two broomhandle like poles (longer) and fed them through. I now had four arms extending from the shoulder level. These were wrapped in tape to prevent splinters etc. and a glove was placed at each "fist." Now I may have got the direction slightly wrong, but by placing the man in the center I can move around 360 degrees and utilise various methods of counterpunching attack.

Thread Information