Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When has Wlad taken a flush shot and survived? (Post video clips)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default When has Wlad taken a flush shot and survived? (Post video clips)

Lost between all this back and forth about who's better between the Alis, Foremans, Fraziers, Tysons, Lewises, and Wlads... is the ability to take a great punch and react well. Ali took hundreds of big shots throughout his career and took them well. Old Foreman got hit much more often than young Foreman... and took punches exceptionally well. Frazier did nothing but take punches so he could land his own. Tyson was rocked by big hitters, and always kept on fighting. Lewis got KO'ed twice (both were avenged). But he also engaged in wars with the likes of Vitali and others.

But what about Wlad? When has Wlad been truly tagged, and managed to survive and maybe even win the fight? Sam Peter? Is that the only example? Who else has tagged Wlad and not put his lights out?

Wlad doesn't get hit flush, because he rarely exposes himself enough to get hit.... and because most of his opponents are scared shitless as well. So it becomes a battle of jabs and/or pawing. If the opponent makes a crass mistake, Wlad may or may not pounce. But the pouncing is done in a defensive posture. Just in case the opponent has some life left in him.

Has Wlad proven his chin to the point where he can hang with the greats in that regard? If so, please post any video clips where Wlad is seen getting rocked, but survives the onslaught and comes back to take control of the fight.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 01-31-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Typo: Old Foreman got "hit", not "his"... LOL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't find a video since I'm on the phone but as defensively as haye fought with wlad I think he tagged him good in the fifth, wlad came back tagged him harder and at that point haye went all track suit, also think he got tagged in the twelfth against haye. Don't get me wrong wlads chin is far from even good but takes more than one punch to put his lights out.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When has Wlad taken a flush shot and survived? (Post video clips)

I'd love to see those clips. I watched the fight the first time and cannot honestly remember Wlad getting hit with much of anything flush. This was the buildup to the fight... Haye's power versus Wlad's suspect chin. The fight was disappointing, to say the least, with an excrutiatingly low amount of punches thrown from both combatants. Then Haye gave us his injured toe story, and it all went downhill from there.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I'd love to see those clips. I watched the fight the first time and cannot honestly remember Wlad getting hit with much of anything flush. This was the buildup to the fight... Haye's power versus Wlad's suspect chin. The fight was disappointing, to say the least, with an excrutiatingly low amount of punches thrown from both combatants. Then Haye gave us his injured toe story, and it all went downhill from there.
    Outstanding amount of video being presented here

I also do not recall Haye doing anything either other then looking like a deer in the headlights for 36 minutes. That fight was a dud. Perhaps the first Peter fight when he was dropped 3 times but I don't remember a punch landing flush.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the 2 times I can remember were Sanders and Brewster, and we all know what happened there. To tell you the truth, Brewster only landed one good intial inside left hook, and wlad just flapped and flopped around like a seagull.

vit has a better beard as lewis really rocked him several monster shots and vit hung tough.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i could be wrong but i dont even remember wlad getting hit to cleanly in the Sam Peter 1 fight

everytime peter even came close wlad seemed to go down, i think haye hit him harder

its a while since i saw the peter fight mind and ive only seen it once
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All boxers take punches in a fight but Wlad has perfected his style so that he does not get hit cleanly which is the name of the game. It is for the opponent to test Wlad’s chin and if they can not get to it and expose it then that is their fault and not Walds.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    All boxers take punches in a fight but Wlad has perfected his style so that he does not get hit cleanly which is the name of the game. It is for the opponent to test Wlad’s chin and if they can not get to it and expose it then that is their fault and not Walds.

"Style" being the operative word here.
    In Wlad's case, "style" is synonymous with "petrified avoidance of meaningful exchanges."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know what to think about this. Wlad is guilty of not finishing people off when it is well within his capability to do so and can often look flustered when rushed. In the Wach fight round 5 he looks at first glance to be flustered and backed up but when you watch the slow motion replay he avoids every punch and Wach only manages to catch him with his forearm. In the Haye fight despite peoples weird memories, Haye was gun shy but he did throw a handful of bombs at him in the early and late rounds but Wlad was able to either step back or use his skills to avoid a flush shot landing. He is a big guy who is hard to tag but he does look like a panicked Rabbit at times because he is wary of his chin. That does not mean he is glass jawed but a decent heavyweight with some pop could knock him out if they landed flush with a big bomb, but then that is true of nearly anyone in that class. For a big man he has fast hands and landing that flush shot is harder than it looks. It is also equally true that if he had more confidence in his own chin he could use those fast hands to knock most guys out in the first couple of rounds something he does not regularly do.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's compare Wlad with Lennox. Lewis was also a cautious fighter. By no means was he as reckless as a Mike Tyson, who would jump the opponent like a wild animal. (And as reckless and exciting as Mike was, he didn't just ignore defense. He used head movement as he came in for the kill). But Lennox was a more offensive-minded fighter than Wlad. Lennox would engage when he had to, or when he needed to get the guy out of there. I don't recall the same look of confused fear on Lennox's face as I've seen on Wlad when a flurry comes his way (which is extremely, extremely rare). Lennox's worst fight (that I saw) from a cautious standpoint was David Tua. Had Lennox fought more fights like that, I would've never watched. And Lewis got knocked out, also. It's not like he never tasted what that felt like. But he came back and avenged each knockout loss. Wlad seems to have been permanently affected by those early career knockouts and now will go to any lengths necessary to protect his chin. The funny thing is... most of his opponents come into the fight scared shitless as well. It makes for excrutiatingly boring boxing. Which in turn is why Wlad gets dumped on so much. He protects his fragile chin to an extreme... and his opponents make no sign of wanting to reach for that chin.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In Wlad's case, "style" is synonymous with "petrified avoidance of meaningful exchanges."

and kudos to him for making his opponents look silly round after round. Look I like a war in the ring as much as the next guy but heck I love boxing too. Wlad boxes very well, he's not silky smooth but he's purposeful.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the fight against Chagaev Chagaev didn't hear the end-of-the-round bell (7th round) and managed to hit Klitschko (who already lowered his defense) with a full blast punch ("His best punch of the fight") and Klitschko hardly felt it.

Also in the fight against Tony Thompson Tony managed to hit him several times without any effect. Haye and Wach landed flush too.

Please stop reading for 5 seconds and actually think about the statement "Wladimir Klitschko is a multiple beltholder at SHW for years and has a glass jaw! This is so ridiculous if you think about it. NOBODY IN THE WORLD could be such a dominant world champion with a lack of chin.

This is IMPOSSIBLE. He would be exposed every couple of fights...

Aside from the 3 early losses Wlad WON the fights where he was knocked down: vs Sam Peter (Wlad won that fight), vs Davaryl Williamson (Wlad won that fight), vs Steve Pannell (Wlad won that fight).

In fact he performed so convincingly that NO ONE wants to see a rematch against ·Davaryl Williamson or ·Steve Pannell. The knock downs in the Williamson and Pannell fights are so irrelevant that haters and fans may not even know they happened..

Whatever you might think about his knockdowns and knockouts, in the meanwhile Wlad gave a rematch to Sam Peter and to Lamon Brewster. The rematches were very one-sided.

You have to allow boxers to LEARN.
    There is something called PROGRESS.
    You have to have a tolerance for PROCESSES.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad was tagged several times by David Haye and took his power well.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Isn't it a bit of a double standard to describe Wlad's defense as "petrified avoidance of meaningful exchanges," yet describe other defensive fighters as having great defense?

The point of boxing is to hit and not be hit. If Wlad hasn't been hit flush in 8 years, doesn't that just mean he is very effective at his craft? He's not ever in grand ole' toss ups, like Golovkin, but he works with his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses, as good as anyone in the ring today.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@THE PHILOSOPHER - there can't really be a debate that as far as chins of heavyweight champions go, Wlad's isn't anywhere near the top of the list.

Thread Information