Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 2 questions

Was looking for any advice or tips on hitting while moving backwards....counter striking you can say but more punching while backing up? Looking for actual technique/concepts regarding this insteadof just swinging at nothing going backwards. I'm long and a souttpaw so I want to start doing this

And my second question is regarding pros and cons of having good posture compared to being more hunched over? A lot of coaches that are big on the science of boxing stresses the important of goodposture (back straight,chest out,chin down,shoulders relaxed etc etc)

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 2 questions

1) Hitting while moving backyards can be a tricky ordeal. This question can be put into maaaaaaaaaaaany different contexts, thus very hard to answer. The only punch that you can reliably throw while moving is the jab. That's why you hear every boxing trainer and boxer talking about the importance of the jab. Literally every other punch requires you to set your feet to throw the punch. If you tried to throw a power punch while on the move, you'll quickly learn that your balance is completely compromised.

With this in mind, you wont typically throw punches while moving backyards unless it's a jab. There has to be a reason why you're only moving backwards (I'm assuming you're only moving backwards...I'm also assuming you're also moving laterally to not let your opponent set his/her feet). Otherwise, there aren't many benefits to move backwards unless you're hurt, in which case you would shoot your jab to smother any kind of offense your opponent is trying to mount.

There are very few and rare circumstances where you would get a counter off someone who is walking you down. One of them is that they get over excited and actually run to you instead of properly pushing off his back foot and glide to you, in which you can confidently put a stiff jab to his nose, or set your feet to throw a right cross or a properly timed left hook. Another scenario is you catch them with a punch moving back and pivoting. And the last scenario I can think of is not necessarily moving back all of the way, but timing a punch off of moving forward with a punch. They're expecting you to keep moving backwards, time your steps so that you step less and less, so that when the moment is right, you step forward just enough to be in range, and clock him with a well timed punch.

So in summary to your first question, the only punch you can realistically throw while moving is your jab, and only moving backwards is a very primitive and often less fruitful tactic.

2) Good posture is everything. You will not get maximum leverage on your punches without them. You can't defend properly without good posture either. There are no cons with having good posture, develop good posture, because not having good posture is having bad posture . That is all.
    Last edited by Peter Som; 02-06-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hma123 View Post
    And my second question is regarding pros and cons of having good posture compared to being more hunched over? A lot of coaches that are big on the science of boxing stresses the important of goodposture (back straight,chest out,chin down,shoulders relaxed etc etc)

Thanks in advance
    Coaches are right!

"In no sport the temptation stronger than in boxing to run before you can walk. It is a temptation should be resisted at any cost. You must learn to stand in position before you begin to hit."

If you compare fighters, those who have strong fundamentals advance much further than those with worse fundamentals but knowledge of some extra tricks.

I think what many beginners do not realize is that they can utilize several postures depending on the situation. You do not have to stick to one posture all the time, but, in any case, the key to good punching / defence is having the correct posture all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Punching while moving back:

1) Jab (your main weapon)

2) Well timed lead hook > pivot

3) Step back, making your opponent miss > well timed rear uppercut (good for people who keep their head low)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can throw every single punch going backwards, it only depends how do you set them up. Just simply going backwards and throwing arm punches won't stop anyone and your back will be on the ropes all the time.

See Walcott breaking down and taking his head when he goes backwards and just of a sudden he only breaks down and shoots the right or the left and if you are in balance you can go back and break as many times as you need until you set the other guy(2:34 for example). Now see how he gives him self a lot of punching room and also how his head is outside of the left hand of Louis.

From 1:12 onward you see how to set the left uppercut as counter for the left jab. See again how he transfers his weight over his left knee, how he gives himself space and how at the same time he evades the left hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nikola_ganchev View Post
    You can throw every single punch going backwards, it only depends how do you set them up. Just simply going backwards and throwing arm punches won't stop anyone and your back will be on the ropes all the time.

See Walcott breaking down and taking his head when he goes backwards and just of a sudden he only breaks down and shoots the right or the left and if you are in balance you can go back and break as many times as you need until you set the other guy(2:34 for example). Now see how he gives him self a lot of punching room and also how his head is outside of the left hand of Louis.

From 1:12 onward you see how to set the left uppercut as counter for the left jab. See again how he transfers his weight over his left knee, how he gives himself space and how at the same time he evades the left hand.
    Of course, but I'm assuming he's asking about shots WHILE moving? That is, in transition between steps. Of course you can throw any punch going back, but you have to stop for those power punches in one form or another. And of course there are more dimensions to this scenario, but I think for the sake of clarity, he just wanted to know things in general. And generally you don't throw power shots while moving.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hma123 View Post
    Was looking for any advice or tips on hitting while moving backwards....counter striking you can say but more punching while backing up? Looking for actual technique/concepts regarding this insteadof just swinging at nothing going backwards. I'm long and a souttpaw so I want to start doing this

Thanks in advance
    I don't know how familiar with footwork drills...You should be doing drills where you learn to coordinate the movements of your hands and feet. Sliding your front foot forwards and jabbing, then throwing your left hand as your left foot moves up. Like that. You do basically the same thing to learn to punch going backwards, with some differences. You jab as your left foot slides back- for a southpaw- and throw the straight left hand as your right foot moves back. As the right foot sets, the weight transfers over. You can punch and move with any straight punch.
    For any fighter, and especially for southpaws, you'll have more success stepping away at angles. It will create more chances for you to land your left hand. But if you the above drill and get good at throwing the left (or right, for 'normal' boxers) going back, you'll find plenty of opportunities to walk guys into it. Most guys starting out, and (in today's abysmal era)even pros that should know better, do everything in straight lines. If you go straight back, they'll come straight in, and you can drop that left (or right) hand on them.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Som View Post

Of course, but I'm assuming he's asking about shots WHILE moving? That is, in transition between steps. Of course you can throw any punch going back, but you have to stop for those power punches in one form or another. And of course there are more dimensions to this scenario, but I think for the sake of clarity, he just wanted to know things in general. And generally you don't throw power shots while moving.

Thoughts?
    I suppose dont have the foot brake on (ankle down), for the most power,catch him coming but be in a weight shift when landing the shot would be more power than being at a dead stop waiting.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In all this situations you position yourself to punch and in the same time evade incoming punches. You must be on the balls of your feet for more speed and fluency. Also in the rotation of the body one takes advantage of the stretch reflex.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends on how you are retreating, if you are retreating pell-mell, keep the jab going with your chin down, and retreat at angles, stay away the ropes an corners, always looking for a chance to grab and hold. Grabbing and holding slows things down and gives you a chance to reset. Which looks worse, grabbing and holding or retreating around the ring pell-mell? They both look bad to the judges and fans, but holding allows you to reset and listen to what your corner is screaming.

If you are retreating in survival mode which means you have been hurt, anything goes. Fuck the ref, the judges and the fans, grab and hold if you can. Depending how bad things are, you might take a knee to listen to the screaming from your corner, and slow things down. Hey, don't forget the refs count.

If you are retreating one step at a time, due to your natural inclination or because your opponent insists on coming forward, keep the jab going, stay away from the ropes and corners, retreat at angles and circle away from his or her power. Who knows you might be that feared, badass counter puncher.

Stand up or hunched is a personal thing, in my opinion. Which one feels the most natural to you. Plenty of sparing will help you figure it out. There's probably nothing better than working privately with a good trainer.
    I could say more but I have to scoot.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your 1st response for movement comes from your Hips, not the Feet, its understanding it makes a difference.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap can you explain a bit more please?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap can you explain a bit more please?
    Simply Balance, and How we are put together. The Coxxys which sits in the Hips[ bottom of the Spine] is our Centre of Gravity. All movement comes from it, thats where all the major Muscles for movement are situated. For Boxing theres a muscle called the TFL, top of the I/T band, which orchestrates everything in the Posterior Chain, it engages all movement, soon as you lift the Heel. Its Darwins fault, Gravity, to move on a Base we push Down, have play with it .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thx I will have nice time with it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does this not all come down to a question of footwork and how easily you can move out of range from the opponent.

Moving out of range and timing a long range hook as they storm in.

Great reflexes and good defense, combined with footwork which anticipates your opponents movements.

Fighting on the back foot should not be encouraged, but if you can do it well he better for you.

Thread Information