Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Headache after hard sparring - exhaustion or concussion?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Headache after hard sparring - exhaustion or concussion?

I'm an amateur boxer. I spar about two times a week. My conditioning/endurance is maybe average, or slightly below average compared to other amateur boxers. Each sparring session is 10 rounds of 3 minutes each. The first 4 rounds are light to intermediate intensity where my opponent gets all weapons but I only get jabs. The last 6 rounds are high intensity where my opponent continues to get all weapons, but now I only get to body shots ( I can't use jabs anymore). We break for 1 round between round 7 and round 8.

In the last month or so, I've been starting to get minor headaches towards rounds 9 and 10. Even when I block my opponents jab, my head aches a little bit. My defense is fair. My opponent hasn't yet landed a clean heavy shot to my head. My opponent lands a lot of punches on the gloves blocking my head, which then passes the force to my head. My opponent has improved compared to 4 months ago. Because 4 months ago, I didn't have to work as hard, and I'd still feel pretty fresh after 10 rounds. But these days, I have to work really hard from round 5 to 10 and there are times when I just have to give everything I have. By the end, I just want to lie down and sleep.

So before, I never use to get headaches. But now that my opponent has improved, I'm starting to get headaches towards the end of sparring. The headache goes away a few hours later after I eat something and take a nap.

Is my headache caused by exhaustion+dehydration or is it actually head trauma?

I should also add, i'm still very new as amateur boxer. I've only had 2 amateur fights.
    Last edited by mozilla2004; 02-24-2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: I mentioned i have only 2 fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Headache after hard sparring - exhaustion or concussion?

I should also mention between Round 1 and Round 10, I have a few sips of water. I think I only drink about 150 ml during that time. But I make sure i drink a lot of water when im finished sparring.

And also, I'm 5'8" tall and weight 158 lb. My opponent is 6'0" and weighs 180 lb. If i were to evaluate my opponent's punching power, I'd compare it to some strong amateur 130 lb guys I've sparred in the past. My opponent is still new, but if I'm not careful, his punches can stun me.
    Last edited by mozilla2004; 02-24-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: information about my body type and my opponent's body type

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would not dare to make a guess. I think you know that you should seek a medical evaluation. Maybe be minor, may be something you can overcome. But you don't dare gamble when it comes to your health. What disturbs me about your account is that it is re occuring----This goes beyond seeking advice from a trainer or coach who has only basic first aid training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys. I guess I'll go see a doctor then.

I read a bit more on teh internet. Some people say it could also be a combination of exhaustion + tight headgear. It's a bit harder for me to acknowledge it's any kind of brain trauma because my opponent still isn't like super strong puncher.

Anyway, i guess i'll just go see a doctor to be sure.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla2004 View Post
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll go see a doctor then.

I read a bit more on teh internet. Some people say it could also be a combination of exhaustion + tight headgear. It's a bit harder for me to acknowledge it's any kind of brain trauma because my opponent still isn't like super strong puncher.

Anyway, i guess i'll just go see a doctor to be sure.
    ya, like grey says. and I'm not trying to diagnose you with that post. But educating people on concussions is never a bad thing so I like to post it whenever I get a chance. the More ya know, and all that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Def. see a doctor.

With that said, I don't spar (yet - and not straight up boxing if i did) - in the past for me it was almost always I wasn't hydrated enough. The few times it wasn't hydration issues, it was not enough sleep the night before for the kind of hard workout i had that day.
    "A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, & good stickgrappling & can keep track of all 3 simultaneously. This is a good trick & can be quite effective." - Marc 'Crafty Dog' Denny

Thread Information