Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deontay Wilder?

Share/Bookmark
    jon09 Guest

Default Re: Deontay Wilder?

He needs to fight a couple of live bodies and then challenge the WBA champion. Manuel Charr, Kevin Johnson or even the faded Frans Botha would be something.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Vitali Klitschko 27th fight, was on his second defense of the WBO title
    Wlad Klitschko 27th fight, fought for the WBC International HW Title
    Kubrat Pulev 17th fight, won regional HW titles
    Tomasz Adamek 27th fight, won regional CW titles
    David Haye 27th fight, fought Wlad
    Alexander Povetkin 25th fight, 3rd defense of WBA title
    Tony Thompson 27th fight, fought for state title
    Tyson Fury 20th fight, fought HW Eliminator
    Odlanier Solis 19th fight, won regional HW title (already fought a Klitschko)
    Robert Helenius 18th fight, already fought for and defended, multiple regional titles
    Johnathon Banks 27th fight, fighting for regional HW title
    Steve Cunningham 27th fight, fighting for CW title

The only one that had not done more by this point in their career is Tony Thompson, not only is that debatable, but he also doesn't have the pull in marketing the Wilder has available.

Other than Tyson Fury, Tony Thompson, and perhaps Steve Cunningham all those guys had extensive amateur boxing records.

You say he will "die on the vine" but you don't want to ask a bunch of questions of the fighter all at once because that is how you lose confidence, create doubt, and shatter a fighter. He needs more rounds, he needs better opponents, he needs to fight dangerous fighters and slick boxers...but also with the shape the division is in right now it's hard to find guys who fit the bill to ask a bunch of questions of Wilder. Who is a slick boxer who has the chin to last with Wilder? Who's a big puncher that will test Wilder? Who will work Wilder hard over 10 rounds and tell us how much stamina he has?

I think a guy like Ruslan Chagaev should be on the list SOON, but not right yet.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Robert Helenius 18th fight, already fought for and defended, multiple regional titles

The only one that had not done more by this point in their career is Tony Thompson, not only is that debatable, but he also doesn't have the pull in marketing the Wilder has available.

Other than Tyson Fury, Tony Thompson, and perhaps Steve Cunningham all those guys had extensive amateur boxing records.

You say he will "die on the vine" but you don't want to ask a bunch of questions of the fighter all at once because that is how you lose confidence, create doubt, and shatter a fighter. He needs more rounds, he needs better opponents, he needs to fight dangerous fighters and slick boxers...but also with the shape the division is in right now it's hard to find guys who fit the bill to ask a bunch of questions of Wilder. Who is a slick boxer who has the chin to last with Wilder? Who's a big puncher that will test Wilder? Who will work Wilder hard over 10 rounds and tell us how much stamina he has?

I think a guy like Ruslan Chagaev should be on the list SOON, but not right yet.
    I don't really care if he goes 10 rounds against a slick boxer, I want to know if there is anything there besides a big punch.
    Can he take a decent punch? What does he do when things aren't going his way? Is he just awkward or truely green and crude?
    No more BS, show us something, 27 fights is enough, shit or get off the pot.
    Make us proud or disappoint us, but make some noise in the heavyweight division.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Wilder is in danger of doing the exact opposite and being far too over confident knocking out a truck load of part time day laborers. I'm all for cocky and self confidence but with the one way traffic he has been spoon fed he is lacking self awareness as far as trial and error in the ring. He was actually calling himself a world heavyweight champion holding up that dime store trinket he won after ko'ing a part time b ball player his last fight. In a weird way I think he's suffering a bit of over exposure against mediocre. It's not rocket science, just step up and his people need to stop over thinking it and packaging him or he's in danger of coming apart once he finally does on a much much more visible stage. I honestly have more appreciation for a guy, say a Price, who jumps in and finds himself, good or bad in long run, than a guy who sits on the sidelines and from the stands. The division is in a subtle swing with alot of mid level types and future hopefuls mixing it up. Deontay better stand up and be counted or it very well could pass him buy. You ain't backing a cake son, get in there.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

You start out saying it's fine fighting garbage because something something feelings. This is boxing, no chances = no meaning to a career. Then you come back and agree with what I said in the unquoted post.

If he gets a tough fight and loses, move on keep fighting. Look at Arreola for example he took his beating and came back more serious. If he can't take a loss what's the point, this shiny no loss record bullshit is a problem in pro boxing it just means, GOOD fights aren't being made.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    I don't really care if he goes 10 rounds against a slick boxer, I want to know if there is anything there besides a big punch.
    Can he take a decent punch? What does he do when things aren't going his way? Is he just awkward or truely green and crude?
    No more BS, show us something, 27 fights is enough, shit or get off the pot.
    Make us proud or disappoint us, but make some noise in the heavyweight division.
    I fuckin' do! The guy has YET to go to the cards. He won bronze in the Olympics so he HAS lost before. What are his weaknesses? Does he have a "Plan B"? Can he take a punch? How does he deal with adversity (cuts, a knockdown, behind on the cards and needing a KO)?

Yes he does need to step his game way up, he SHOULD be fighting contenders even if he plans on waiting out the Klitschko brothers. A guy like Tony Thompson would be an excellent fight for him, but before that I would like to see him fight Dominick Guinn or Dereck Chisora or Oliver McCall just to see the guy go deep into a fight because he NEEDS that.

I'd like to see within this year Wilder fight: Thompson, Chagaev, Fury, Glazkov, Jennings, or someone who is worth a damn

Malik Scott would be a BRILLIANT fight for him to take, Scott has no power at all and would most likely give Wilder rounds which he needs. Not every fight will end in a KO for Wilder.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At first glance Deontay Wilder looks sensational, 27 fights 27 KOs, and most of the KOs have been in the 1st or 2nd round. The thing is, everyone Wilder has fought has been a 'can, and in 27 fights he's fought a whopping grand total of 47 rounds in over 3 years as a Pro. So despite his somewhat "impressive" record, and Olympic pedigree, he's still an unknown quantity.

It's probably way to early for the 6' 7" Wilder to be considering it, but i'd love to see how he'd do with that height and power against Wlad's questionable chin, if he could get past a couple top 5 HW contenders a few fights down the road.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's a reason they're being so careful with him. At some point in the future he's going to get David Priced.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    There's a reason they're being so careful with him. At some point in the future he's going to get David Priced.
    Could be, but we might all be dead before they stop fuck, fuck, fucking around and put him in with a name.

Twenty-seven fights and all we know is that he hits hard, it's becoming laughable.

Hey Deontay, your boxing career is becoming a joke, a mystery, an example of what not to do, a lot of smoke but no fucking fire.

Get rid of the people holding you back, be a man, stop listening to your family. I mention your name in Southern California to boxing fans and they start laughing!

I'm so tired of over protected posers. Get out there and fight a name, take a chance, there is no guaranteed safe path to success in boxing, that's why they call it fighting.

Fuck, man! Start fighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All very well talking about the quality of his opponents, ut nobody is addressing the elephant in the room.

HE'S FUCKING RUBBISH!

Boxing fundamentals, footwork, athleticism, you name it, he ain't got it. He's little more than a slimmer Butterbean.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a part of me who cant blame these double digit and "0" guys in this market not risking it. Here you have quite possibly the weakest division since Marciano's and if you lose once or God forbid get stopped by a veteran you get thrown on the scrub pile. Most recent example being David Price. The system is in place not to risk a loss to risk that "0" and yet this is supposedly the risk and reward business. It used to be that you took the risks in order to reap the reward. Now its get all the rewards you can muster w/o taking a risk. This philosophy has hijacked the sport.
    Last edited by IamInuit; 03-09-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    There is a part of me who cant blame these double digit and "0" guys in this market not risking it. Here you have quite possibly the weakest division since Marciano's and if you lose once or God forbid get stopped by a veteran you get thrown on the scrub pile. Most recent example being David Price. The system is in place not to risk a loss to risk that "0" and yet this is supposedly the risk and reward business. It used to be that you took the risks in order to reap the reward. Now its gets all the rewards you can muster w/o taking a risk. This philosophy has hijacked the sport.
    Agreed!

Thread Information