Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Deontay Wilder?

When is Wilder going to step up to the big boys? His team is making noise about wanting a fight with Thompson.
    Is this more lip service or is he really tired of splashing around in the wadding pool?
    I'd really like Wilder to do well but he has to start fighting some names. 27 wins 27 KOs is impressive until you see Wilder fight, he looks crude to me.
    Maybe he is always going to look awkward, which is ok if he starts beating some names. I hope he can make a fight with Thompson.
    Anyone have anything to say about Deontay Wilder?
    It's hard to ignore a big puncher unless he continues to fight nonames.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Deontay Wilder?

He is taking his time, but Wilder is a guy who was very raw coming out of the amateur scene. He did win a bronze medal but he didn't have a ton of experience. I would like him to get more rounds in rather than just KO every damn body, but hey I don't make his fights. His management have a difficult task. Bring the kid along and have him improve but there has to be a correct pace where he still "gets up" mentally and physically for every fight...it's a tricky proposition.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

27 pro fights and still cutting his teeth is still a lot, though.
    He's dangerously approaching Cesar Chavez territory.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    If he had the success of Chavez as an American heavyweight would people be all that disappointed in him? He's big, he's fun to watch fight, and he's American....that's what people SAY is missing in the division. The people who always see the division as something it never used to be, say that's what's missing.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    If he had the success of Chavez as an American heavyweight would people be all that disappointed in him? He's big, he's fun to watch fight, and he's American....that's what people SAY is missing in the division. The people who always see the division as something it never used to be, say that's what's missing.

I'm referring mostly to Junior.
    Junior fought bums for the first 40 fights of his career.
    So Wilder would still get a little slack..... but not much.

Personally, I'm rooting for Wilder to become that challenger Wlad has never had.

El Kabong Guest

Personally, I'm rooting for Wilder to become that challenger Wlad has never had.
    I assumed you were talking about Junior. Wilder won't be ready to really challenge Wlad until Wlad is retired. Wlad did say "Deontay Wilder has the fastest hands I've seen for a heavyweight in sparring" so that has to count for something.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I assumed you were talking about Junior. Wilder won't be ready to really challenge Wlad until Wlad is retired. Wlad did say "Deontay Wilder has the fastest hands I've seen for a heavyweight in sparring" so that has to count for something.

Unfortunately, I think you're right about Wilder not being ready. He's too raw to be ready anytime soon. I just think you were overstating Junior's success. Change his last name, and he'd be just another journeyman, feasting on inferior and undersized opposition. Wilder has no such advantage, but he's turning heads on his own merit. He just needs an upgrade in opponents sooner rather than later.

El Kabong Guest

Unfortunately, I think you're right about Wilder not being ready. He's too raw to be ready anytime soon. I just think you were overstating Junior's success. Change his last name, and he'd be just another journeyman, feasting on inferior and undersized opposition. Wilder has no such advantage, but he's turning heads on his own merit. He just needs an upgrade in opponents sooner rather than later.
    Wilder also needs to fill out his frame, he's 6'7 and was 228 his last bout. I want to see him stretched the distance vs someone good or KO someone who has been prooven to have a rock solid chin. He's got a lot of "classes to take" (how he takes a punch, how's his defense, how's his stamina, can he get off the deck and win, can he KO late when he has to, does his power carry in the later rounds, does he have a "plan B", etc) as it were to show he's ready for the big boys. Moving him up too quickly could result in him being the next Michael Grant.

Swap out the name Chavez for American Heavyweight and is there really a difference?
    Last edited by El Kabong; 03-05-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder might be green and not fought many rounds but the first half against Wlad would be very exicting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've only seen him fight once and, despite his undoubted punch power, he looked very crude and raw. He certainly didn't look like someone who'd had 27 fights.

Impossible to say how good or bad he is until he faces some kind of test.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems like I've been giving the same answer and hearing the same question for about 2,3 years now.

He needs to do more against better and actually take at least one clean quality heavyweight punch before he is considered anything near the realm of a future title threat or his power called phenomenal.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Wilder is going to die on the vine.
    The garbage he's fighting is not making him better, it's making him worse.
    No excuse to not have taken a live, tested challenge by now. I call bullshit
    on any attempt to excuse his slow progress, he's been a pro for over 4 years
    now. If he can't learn the craft enough to accept a challenge in that time,
    he never will. I'm not saying he should be fighting for a title yet, I'm saying
    he should be fighting someone that doesn't have a second job.

Vitali Klitschko 27th fight, was on his second defense of the WBO title
    Wlad Klitschko 27th fight, fought for the WBC International HW Title
    Kubrat Pulev 17th fight, won regional HW titles
    Tomasz Adamek 27th fight, won regional CW titles
    David Haye 27th fight, fought Wlad
    Alexander Povetkin 25th fight, 3rd defense of WBA title
    Tony Thompson 27th fight, fought for state title
    Tyson Fury 20th fight, fought HW Eliminator
    Odlanier Solis 19th fight, won regional HW title (already fought a Klitschko)
    Robert Helenius 18th fight, already fought for and defended, multiple regional titles
    Johnathon Banks 27th fight, fighting for regional HW title
    Steve Cunningham 27th fight, fighting for CW title

The only one that had not done more by this point in their career is Tony Thompson, not only is that debatable, but he also doesn't have the pull in marketing the Wilder has available.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Wilder is going to die on the vine.
    The garbage he's fighting is not making him better, it's making him worse.
    No excuse to not have taken a live, tested challenge by now. I call bullshit
    on any attempt to excuse his slow progress, he's been a pro for over 4 years
    now. If he can't learn the craft enough to accept a challenge in that time,
    he never will. I'm not saying he should be fighting for a title yet, I'm saying
    he should be fighting someone that doesn't have a second job.

Vitali Klitschko 27th fight, was on his second defense of the WBO title
    Wlad Klitschko 27th fight, fought for the WBC International HW Title
    Kubrat Pulev 17th fight, won regional HW titles
    Tomasz Adamek 27th fight, won regional CW titles
    David Haye 27th fight, fought Wlad
    Alexander Povetkin 25th fight, 3rd defense of WBA title
    Tony Thompson 27th fight, fought for state title
    Tyson Fury 20th fight, fought HW Eliminator
    Odlanier Solis 19th fight, won regional HW title (already fought a Klitschko)
    Robert Helenius 18th fight, already fought for and defended, multiple regional titles
    Johnathon Banks 27th fight, fighting for regional HW title
    Steve Cunningham 27th fight, fighting for CW title

The only one that had not done more by this point in their career is Tony Thompson, not only is that debatable, but he also doesn't have the pull in marketing the Wilder has available.
    The one thought running through this entire thread is that Thompson needs to fight better opponents.
    He says 2013 is going to be his break out year, if he is serious he needs to take a chance once in a while against quality heavyweights.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder also needs to fill out his frame, he's 6'7 and was 228 his last bout. I want to see him stretched the distance vs someone good or KO someone who has been prooven to have a rock solid chin. He's got a lot of "classes to take" (how he takes a punch, how's his defense, how's his stamina, can he get off the deck and win, can he KO late when he has to, does his power carry in the later rounds, does he have a "plan B", etc) as it were to show he's ready for the big boys. Moving him up too quickly could result in him being the next Michael Grant.

Swap out the name Chavez for American Heavyweight and is there really a difference?
    People knock Grant a lot but 48-4-0 isn't bad.

As far as wilder goes, I've watched a lot of his fights recently. Wlad, Haye or Vitali stop everybody he's fought and faster.

He is very unpolished. He'll never step up.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information